Early 727 -64 to newer -66 and up swap

Mopar 493

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Jimmy and im from sweden, i have a Chrysler 300 -64 and im going to change my -64 pushbutton 727 to a newer -66 and up 727 streetfighter. I wonder if someone havd done this swap? The early 727 have 4" between the boltholes to transmission mount and -66 and up have 2 3/4" so it is a bit different. My existing mount is a floating power style with a feather between the rubber and the crossmember. There must be some solution for this, some conversion mount or adapter or something? I have talk to Steve at Imperial service and he say he should see what he can do but i have not hear from him in a mounth now so i think i have to think something out myself. Do anyone here now what i can do or buy something for it. // Jimmy
20190205_152428.jpg

Welcome Jimmy!
Despite limited resources given your location, you are best off to find a 66 newer trans.
Too many differences.
By the time you convert the 64 trans you can buy a decent newer 727.
Parts for the newer 727 are easier to find and cheaper. Not many torque convertors available for older trans versus 66 newer.
Different size input shafts. Cannot mix them and trans will not have any forward gears.
Ball and trunion on older trans and as you pointed out different mount.
The 64 car is totally different than 65 newer C's.
Rwcommend doing sone networking. We do have other members in Europe that may be able to help.
I know there is a big Dutch Mopar community as well.
Good luck hope this helps.
Thanks for the answer! Im going to change to a newer trans -66 and up, i have order a TCI streetfighter 727, the difference between the early trans and newer is the bolt holes for the transmission mount, it is at the same location but on a before -66 trans it is 4" between the 2 boltholes in the trans for the mount and on a -66 and up it is 2 3/4" between them and thatswhy i can not use the my old mount, but a easy solution would be a adapter plate to bolt on the trans or something like that but i can not find any so maybe i have to try make my own or if some one have a better idea. There must be one more than me out there that have change to a newer transmission in cars like this.

If it was me in a perfect world, I would have either found a big block 65 trans and rebuilt it using the late model input shaft and front pump assembly for better torque converter selection or got an output shaft and tail housing from a 65 and rebuilt the 64 trans with the new style input so I could keep the push buttons and gained the much easier to service slip yoke drive shaft.

Being in Sweden doesn't make that very easy tho.

Imperial Services used to sell a kit that would adapt a push button shifter to the 66 and later transmission.

Kevin

Back