Early Chrysler Blue Engine Paint - VHT Engine Enamels SP126

bewaba

Reaction score
I started my project using VHT Engine Enamels SP126 (Early Chrysler Blue) - ran out of material and upon re-ordering noted that this is out of stock pretty much everywhere.
Ebay prices are >$1k for 4 or 6 cans!!!
Does anyone know if and where to source at a reasonable price. I tried to buy from Australia but they canceled order in <30min - no shipping of aerosol cans to the US.
Thanks for your help.

vht-sp126_xl.jpg

I started my project using VHT Engine Enamels SP126 (Early Chrysler Blue) - ran out of material and upon re-ordering noted that this is out of stock pretty much everywhere.
Ebay prices are >$1k for 4 or 6 cans!!!
Does anyone know if and where to source at a reasonable price. I tried to buy from Australia but they canceled order in <30min - no shipping of aerosol cans to the US.
Thanks for your help.

View attachment 639090
www.hirschauto.com shows it in stock. It will be the Hirsch brand which is a good match to the factory paint.

Dave

Yes Hirsch paint: Engine Enamel Spray | Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel | Hirsch Aut-hirschauto.com

Detailed Description
clear.gif
Highest quality engine enamel available on the market today. Extremely high solid content. Most show winning cars today use Bill Hirsch Engine Enamel. High gloss, easy to use. This high temp engine paint can be brushed or sprayed.
Click on size/color drop down menu to choose from all the colors we carry. Our high temp engine paint is heat-resistant up to 700°F and comes in a range of colors.
Order Bill Hirsch engine enamel online for your restoration project.
1705593101051.gif

The issue with the VHT v. the Bill Hirsch paint is they aren't going to match. The VHT isn't the correct color and the Bill Hirsch is. They aren't the same, so figure on repainting everything.

Which ever color you are trying to match, take a piece with that color on it to a local paint supply and get them to mix you some "matched" paint. With some reducer and a Preval sprayer, you'll be in business again.

CBODY67

Which ever color you are trying to match, take a piece with that color on it to a local paint supply and get them to mix you some "matched" paint. With some reducer and a Preval sprayer, you'll be in business again.

CBODY67
Thanks all for your feedback, recommendations and links. Since the VHT supply has dried up I will be giving Hirsch a try - thank again all!

I bought a bunch of the VHT for myself years ago. I personally like the color and to my eyes it looks correct enough for the price at the time.

@FURYGT corrected me with a Hirsch shade I could not argue with. The Hirsch I sprayed for @ayilar on his 71 Monaco was too blue and not enough turquoise. Still nice quality stuff for aerosol.

That sucks about the VHT SP126. I liked that paint.

I had trouble with the extremely slow dry time for the Hirsch and easy scratching despite claims of aircraft hardness.

Yep, early engine is "green-ish" more than the well known blue. Dupli color DE1619. Older can on the right

20240120_100759.jpg

I'd be interested in comparing these two with the VHT I have on hand.

I still believe the Hirsche shade that Bill corrected me with in a different thread would be what I will use on my 70 convertible when I have the #s matching engine rebuilt.

Screenshot_20240120_092240_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_092212_Brave.jpg

I'd be interested in comparing these two with the VHT I have on hand.

I still believe the Hirsche shade that Bill corrected me with in a different thread would be what I will use on my 70 convertible when I have the #s matching engine rebuilt.

View attachment 639526

View attachment 639527
I do know the old green goes on kinda bluish and as it heat soaks does go green. The "blue blue" is correct for a '70.

I do know the old green goes on kinda bluish and as it heat soaks does go green. The "blue blue" is correct for a '70.
I disagree. The blue blue or corporate blue rolled out in 72 or 73. I was doing comparisons on an original 71 valve cover and it was more turquoise instead of blue.

20200501_144948.jpg
20200501_144449.jpg
20200501_144500.jpg
20200501_175948.jpg
20200501_180000.jpg
20200426_175627.jpg

The left side of the intake in the photo is a Hirsch shade that I believe would be correct for 72 and up. Corporate blue. The right side is the VHT SP126.

That's a 71 440s original paint. My eyes we telling me the VHT was a better match.

Hmmm... hard to compare fresh to 50 yr old paint. But get your point. I know on my L, the old original paint is such a different green than the valve covers which have been painted in the last 20 years. My J which dad did that engine 20+ years ago, has slowly changed color over time. Weird what heat cycles do to the color.

I am guessing the paint you are looking for is the turquoise color? I just painted my valve covers with the Bill Hirsch paint a few days ago. Not sure if this helps you.

100_1462.jpg
100_1463.jpg

Back