Electronic Ignition

68bbwagon

Reaction score
Im looking to buy an electronic ignition for my car, and I dont know which one is the best. If anyone has any experience with electronic ignition, is there a certain one you would recommend? Im just tired of the points system in it. I want everything converted over to electric, I just don't know to much about it. I dont know if this is needed but my car has a 383 in it. Thanks!

Last edited:
If that exceeds your budget you could always go to a junkyard and pull it from any BB car. But then you'll have worn or worn out parts. I went with the new kit myself. Easy installation.

I buy my Mopar Electronic Ignition kits from my local Chrysler dealer. Same price as Summit but I do have to pay sales tax so if Summit has free shipping it would be a little cheaper.

How do you like it? do you ever have any problems with it?

No problems......mine was originally a Lean Burn ignition. Combined with a few other mods and I can get 15.5 mpg. Of course my driving habits prevent that kind of mpg most of the time.

I buy my Mopar Electronic Ignition kits from my local Chrysler dealer. Same price as Summit but I do have to pay sales tax so if Summit has free shipping it would be a little cheaper.
My one horse/one dealer town marks UP all the parts 25% OVER list............:soapbox:
Not just over the counter stuff. But the parts used on non-warranty repairs. AND at shop rates up to $125.00/hr....
An independent shop doing brakes for 300 bucks will cost you near a grand in his dealerships.
$10.00 "rag disposal fee", $25 "supplemental engine wear preventative" (STP)....., $10 battery "preventive maintenance service"...
OH. And you always need new wipers and air filter no matter what.

Last edited:
My one horse/one dealer town marks UP all the parts 25% OVER list............:soapbox:
Not just over the counter stuff. But the parts used on non-warranty repairs. AND at shop rates up to $125.00/hr....
Dirty Bastard Dealers! I have an account there for my business so that's why i get that price.

Same with my local Dodge dealer. Crappy customer service and won't search for parts. They'll tell me a part is not available and my contact in the Northeast will send me a screen shot 10 minutes later with 5 dealers that have the part in stock! POS dealership that will go out of business if they keep operating as is. I don't buy ANYTHING from them.

If it's a dealer only part and you're pressed for time, you're F****D.
If it's a dealer only repair because it needs a diagnosis with proprietory software not available to the independants, you're REALLY F****D.

POS dealership that will go out of business if...
No they won't....

BTW, I forgot to add that his "techs" are flat hourly plus commission. Not a split with the shop rate....

Last edited:
This will work just fine.......

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ct_3050874-p?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034

3050874_bsq_e30_pri_mini.jpg

An independent shop doing brakes for 300 bucks will cost you near a grand in his dealerships.
$10.00 "rag disposal fee", $25 "supplemental engine wear preventative" (STP)....., $10 battery "preventive maintenance service"...
OH. And you always need new wipers and air filter no matter what.

That sounds as bad as having my Sprinter Van worked on. Ouch!

Mount it on the fender well.............mine only lasted 2 months mounted on the Edelbrock Performer intake. I went back to the original type that I posted and haven't had a problem since.

Yup, been there dun that. The heat will kill it sitting on top of the intake. Works like a dream....I moved it long before it got fried. Thanks for heads up though.

Back