Emergency brake debate

ALL_I_CAN_C

Reaction score
How many of you actually use you emergency brake? Im in the process of removing the subframe from my new yorker body. Fuel line is removed and all body bolts are removed. Im staring at this rusty, corroded, impossible to remove looking cable, and wondering if i even want to bother with it? I mean honestly, in my last 18 years of driving, I've never been in a situation where ive needed it. EVER! I realize that its not the case with some people depending on location, but i guess my question is, should i bother with replacing it when i start rebuilding? If the answer is no, then i wont have an issue with taking a pair of bolt cutters to it so i can remove the sub. If the answer is yes, is this an item that is readily available NOS or otherwise replacement?

Another question pops up. If i decide to remove it, I know i will have to fill the hole where it comes through the body, but would there be any other issues i would have to deal with?

Ya. Not too many inclines to park on round these parts. The cable is my main concern. It's horribly corroded and so are all the pieces. I don't think I could remove them without damaging them.

Ok. I've found SOME replacement parts but not all. Anyone ever have issues with not being able to find all replacement parts?

Opinions on just cutting out the old one? Or should I take care when removing and stop trying to get out of doing something I don't wanna mess with?

Well, personally I wouldn't remove it and delete it because legally it has to be there and it has to work. I don't know how strict they are in your area, but if you do get pulled in to a checkstop and they discover it missing, they'll take your plates and tow your car. Probably pay a fine for "Faulty Equipment" too.

Cables are available for C-bodies and there's also a company (I can't remember their name right now) that can make virtually any cable if you send them your old one. Their prices are fairly reasonable too. :)

Yes I do all the time but back when my toy was produced there waz no park in the trans. and the parking brake waz kinda of ah flexable band brake afare on the back of the tail shaft. That's why Mother Mopar issued all new ownerz in them dayz a cute little chock block. Just think about putting your hand in front of a wheel with that little chunk of wood when 4500lbs iz already rolling! Before I add my two cents worth about replacement partz. Please Sir, What year make and model of C-Body are we talking about? Jer

I don't have a parking brake. Therefor I never use a parking brake.
I do have an emergency brake, though. It will be there when I need it by not using it as a parking brake.

Last edited:
It's aggravating working with things I don't have faith in. With a well setup braking system I can lock the tires up just as fast and not have to wonder whether or not they will work or not. New cars and old, I found them more times than not to be non working or froze

O.K. Farz-u-can-c. 1st question: Do you have a Mopar partz guy at ah Dealership that's your friend? If not you should have some one your friendly enough with that you would allow him to date your sister! That guyz work computer is worth ah 12 pack of his fave left on the floor of hiz daily ride every so often just az ah thank you for hiz being your friend! To the numberz... Your '77 Broham wheel base iz 124"s and the Dodge B-250 Maxi Van from'79 to '03 when the naziz stopped makin' 'um waz 127.4"s. Your 2nd question: Do you think your Broham will know the difference in an extra 3 1/2"s? Go forth and spend young man and stick with us, we'll help yeah, Jer

I always use the e-brake when parking all my cars, and regularly fuss at my wife when I find she didn't set it. I even block a wheel when I leave a car for long. Lately, the parking spall on my 65 Newport doesn't latch solidly, so if I park on an incline it can start rolling back, making a clacking sound. I need to figure that out. Our preacher chased his car down our driveway recently when he skipped the e-brake. A co-worker's truck has significant side damage from when his wife neglected the e-brake.

If you leave it off, don't ever move to San Francisco. They had problems decades ago when people would abandon cars on the street and they would sit until the e-brake cable rusted thru, then come flying down the hills like missiles. If you don't turn your tires to the curb there, they ticket you.

You need the part number and do a search, find if a replacement is out there and for how much $$$. Maybe Murray Park has a decent used one?

Will do. I had a lazy moment. Fair warning guys, it WILL happen again. Just take it easy on me. Barney, I'm lacking friends. Especially ones in any Mopar dept. that's why I got you guys ;) and the 3 parts books and manuals I just purchased online. Thanks guys

Try getting P. brake parts from pychojimmy9 on this forum. I'm sure he'll have what you need.

I have always used my Emergency/park brake. Every single time I stop and get out of the vehicle. That is the reason they are usually frozen and not working...lack of use. I have had many issues with these systems over the years...but always able to get them working properly.

As stated you run into potential legal issues too if deleted. Do you believe for one second that if you got into an accident that the insurance company wouldn't try and use this as a reason to void your claim? I know locally I've ran into issue where my park brake did not work and I was denied emissions testing so I could re-insure my car.

Glad your going to get the system working again.

ok wait I don't know much but I thought the parking brake turned the star wheels and kept your brakes properly adjusted.

no?

You'll need it when you put her in neutral with it runnin to get out and open that gate into the back 40. That is unless your New Yorker is an automatic.

Back