Engine died at stop sign.. restarted.. ran for minute.. died again

I replaced a fuel pump this past year after some funny stuff. Seems to have helped. Got one from NAPA that actually came at a very reasonable price too. Of course, ballast resistors can cause sudden cut outs when they are burnt up, but still allow current until some vibration causes the conductor in them to part a little too much. Worth a look.

Issue resolved..
So, i had purchased a voltage regulator awhile back and had planned to install it when i got time. So, since i had this cutout issue.. i decided to the time to replace that was last night while doing the coil..... When looking at the VR... the wire from the voltage regulator to the ballast resistor was smoked... So I replaced that wire and put in the new voltage regulator and issue gone and now my ammeter gauge no longer bounces around like a dancing noodle. Thanks for the input guys. FYI. i left the old coil inplace.

Issue resolved..
So, i had purchased a voltage regulator awhile back and had planned to install it when i got time. So, since i had this cutout issue.. i decided to the time to replace that was last night while doing the coil..... When looking at the VR... the wire from the voltage regulator to the ballast resistor was smoked... So I replaced that wire and put in the new voltage regulator and issue gone and now my ammeter gauge no longer bounces around like a dancing noodle. Thanks for the input guys. FYI. i left the old coil inplace.

Great news!

I would keep that new coil in the trunk.

I have a small box with some various parts in my trunk all the time.

I keep a sizeable box of electrical parts in my trunk, and sets of points and condensers in the glove box. I also have 1 or 2 ballast resistors, an extra VR, 1157 lamps, et cetera ad nauseum, a Partridge in a Pear Tree all with me in Mathilda when putting around the Old Pueblo. Such a practice came instinctively to me from my 16th year on. Occasionally, I get tagged as a "hoarder" but also am praised for being prepared for contingencies.

Back