Epic Road Trip!

We are now home after 20 days and 4600 miles right on the button!

We ran into the typical head winds traveling north below Lake Erie which sucked but we had absolutely no rain during this time!

It was the adventure of a life time for us for sure.

The car ran like a top for the most of the time.
The only mechanical issues were having to make adjustments to the front torsion bar, having to clean the distributor rotor because of arch deposits causing some slight mis-firing.
Finding a broken wire coming out ofthe steering column. - this was my fault since i had been fooling around under the dash changing dash light bulbs...
The big one that almost cost me an engine was having to allow a lube shop change my oil and the technician leaving the oil pan plug loose.
It fell out on Beach blvd in Gulfport, MS at about 8pm and lost all the oil.
I had luckily stopped to put the top up when the oil pressure gauge dropped so I was able to shut it off without any damage to the engine.
I have to wait around for oil to be delivered to me but once refilled I was on my way again. I had a spare oil plug in my tool kit as a just in case...

I cant believe how freaking cold it is here back home!!!:lol:

Last edited:
Wow, that indeed is an epic trip. I believe you win the most miles in 3 weeks on your c-body, in fact I challenge anyone did that many miles in a modern car this year.

So glad no damage was caused by the idiot at the quicky lube place. I am impressed you had a spare oil plug. :)

Glad to hear you and Mrs. Fix It are back in the Great White North safe and sound!

It's been a great following along and I thank you humbly for allowing us to live vicariously through you on your Epic Road Trip!!

Now go pay a visit to the Beer Store and relax...

end of a rainbow.jpg

Thanks for the thread... I am completely jealous, and glad you had such a good time.

Glad to hear you and Mrs. Fix It are back in the Great White North safe and sound!

It's been a great following along and I thank you humbly for allowing us to live vicariously through you on your Epic Road Trip!!

Now go pay a visit to the Beer Store and relax...

View attachment 96431

Glad you enjoyed it!

I did and now I am LOL!!!:thumbsup:

Wow, that indeed is an epic trip. I believe you win the most miles in 3 weeks on your c-body, in fact I challenge anyone did that many miles in a modern car this year.

So glad no damage was caused by the idiot at the quicky lube place. I am impressed you had a spare oil plug. :)
I had this weird feeling as I looked at it as I threw it into the tool bag...:realcrazy:

And for those of you who are wondering... I did a quick calculation of fuel consumed and fuel economy if there is such a thing in a C body...

4600 miles
267.97 US Gallons = 17.166mpg
223.13 Imp Gallons = 20.615mpg

Pretty darned good if I do say so myself running a 727 3pd, 318 2bbl Poly:thumbsup:

Oh and I was chugging along the interstates sometimes at 70+mph at times

Last edited:
And for those of you who are wondering... I did a quick calculation of fuel consumed and fuel economy if there is such a thing in a C body...

4600 miles
267.97 US Gallons = 17.166mpg
223.13 Imp Gallons = 20.615mpg

Pretty darned good if I do say so myself running a 727 3pd, 318 2bbl Poly:thumbsup:

Oh and I was chugging along the interstates sometimes at 70+mph at times
On today's gas... you did just fine... Would have been 10-20% better if ethanol free...

All very impressive stats and how lucky were you with that whole drain plug thing???

All very impressive stats and how lucky were you with that whole drain plug thing???

This is the reason why I do my own oil changes... the kid had a hard time removing the oil filter once he had spun it loose...

they didn't even have a grease gun:BangHead:

This is the reason why I do my own oil changes... the kid had a hard time removing the oil filter once he had spun it loose...

they didn't even have a grease gun:BangHead:
I think that alone should have scared you away from them... I would have never even thought about it myself... what a sad day for auto repair...

I think that alone should have scared you away from them... I would have never even thought about it myself... what a sad day for auto repair...
Agreed, lesson learned. there's a good chance I will never go back there anyways.
It's a bit of a trek to go there from the Niagara area!:lol:

Back