Ethanol discussion

What do you mean by "100 research octane"? Im talking about E85 and 87 oct reg unleaded. Please share thoughts.

To see what "they" are saying, you can go to www.ethanolretailer.com . It's quite positive and "what the consumer wants" (according to THEIR research).

For the other side, www.filluponfacts.com

It seems that all of the research that's been done has differing outcomes. Highly dependent upon WHOM funded the particular research. Just like the government claims that E15 can be used where vehicle OEMs say it shouldn't!

There are a few websites which have station listings for ethanol-free gasoline, with the alleged octane ratings and brands/unbranded names. Usually around aquatic areas and in lower octane ratings.

In the Midwest, there are a few states where larger convenience store/gas stations sell ethanol-free fuel. Many WalMarts in TX got it when they remodeled their fuel stations in current times.

The ethanol advocates claim that newer seed variations (that are NOT food-grade seeds) don't impact the food supply and make for more efficient production, related to the carbon footprint being smaller than in earlier times and seeds.

I've used the Lucas "Green Stuff" (my term, as the liquid is green) in my lawn mower with good results, for several years. Otherwise, after a year on a new mower, it'd start running like a min-max governor was going berserk . . . when there is no governor to do that. It seems to coat the rubber diaphrams from ethanol issues. When it starts acting up, the next tank with the additive will smooth it back out again. Keeps the spark plug "new" clean, too! No problem with "over-treat", either! Works with E10, E15, and E85, so they claim. An ethanol affect deactivator, fuel stabilizer, etc.

In another forum, a few years ago, we were sharing information on these things. A carb rebuilder in the mid-west noted that a customer brought in a carb to be re-done. When they took it apart, it was "red" inside. That coating didn't come off in the carb cleaning vat, either, he noted. Seems the owner put the "red stuff" in the tank for fuel protection, then the car sat for a year, fuel evaporated in the carb in that time, leaving the "protection" behind. The rebuilder wasn't too happy about that. Took extra effort to get most of it out of the float bowl.

I'm wondering if the newer Holley black anodized metering blocks and such are that way for longer-term ethanol protection issues?

CBODY67

THANKS all for the recommendations. Only real problem I have had was hot starting(not-starting) with the Diplomat. I have some of the Lucas treatment, but these other things sound good too.

Ethanol free gas is getting REAL hard to find here in the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Main problem is the hot starting (or not starting) issue. Fuel stabilizers are one thing, but does anyone know of a good Ethanol additive? I have picked up some LUCAS Ethanol Fuel "Conditioner" and am going to see how much/ if it helps. The '67 New Yorker doesn't have this problem so much, but it is chronic with the Diplomat. We elevated the carb. with a spacer to dissipate heat, which helped a bit.....any others have advice here? MANY THANKS.
Many boaters us a product called Startron. Most marinas have it and I have also gotten it at Walmat. Fortunately we have many boaters in the Finger Lakes that insist on no-E so the gas stations around here have it. Usually only in High -Test

What do you mean by "100 research octane"? Im talking about E85 and 87 oct reg unleaded. Please share thoughts.
One thing about running all E85 is the moisture it collects (water) will freeze in winter. My sister and BIL had this problem with their minivan. With it inside it would start right up, trying to start it after work (very cold outside)it would not start. Just something to think about in a cold climate.

We have had E10 in Canada for ever. I have had ZERO issues with it. I park it in the fall and sometime after the snow has melted from around it I fire it up and drive it away.

I think most of the trouble is caused by some other additives that the US refiners use that Canadian refiners don't. It's the only thing that makes sense to me because I've fired up on gas that was at a minimum a year in the tank. It didn't run real nice and the exhaust smelled a little rank but topped up with new stuff and good as new.

Down to just one now, 65 Polara wagon with a Poly but I had 3 on the go for a few years. 2 with carbs and 1 EFI retrofit. To hear some of the stories here, they should have been bubbling puddles of ick.

Kevin

If adding 2 stroke oil to gas prevents problems why does it still happen to chain saws and weed eaters?
Ethanol not only attacks aluminum it also will dissolve some plastic and fiberglass tanks.

Is there ANY place in the DC area that sells non-ethanol?

John's resource is the one I use. In Maryland, the closest listed on pure-gas.org is supposed to be Frederick Equipment Co, 9640 Liberty Rd, Frederick, MD (301-898-1200).

I have been having a problem with hot starts and smelling raw gas around the car when it is first shut off. Where I live in northern Ontario, all our regular gas is from 5 to 15% ethanol. I run regular in my 383 4 bbl could the gas be my problem? My carb is a Holley 600 cfm. It has around 10,000mi on it could it be in need of repair?

All gasoline nowadays does not have the additives they once did to increase surface tension to decrease evaporation. Modern fuel systems are not open to the air, no need for it. You will always smell gas in older cars as the gasoline is evaporating out of you vented float bowls.
I believe hot start issues are the result of something else not just gasoline.
Out of my 2 running cars both with big blocks, built similarly. One on points and one on mopar electronic ignition. The point car starts immediately all the time, very rare to get more than a 2-3 second crank before it's running. The electronic car has hot start issues from longer than I can remember I have changed literally everything in the car except the wiring harness itself and it still has hot start issues.

If adding 2 stroke oil to gas prevents problems why does it still happen to chain saws and weed eaters?
Ethanol not only attacks aluminum it also will dissolve some plastic and fiberglass tanks.
Because the plastics they are using in today's two strokes is crap. My McCullough saw from the 70s does not have dissolving crumbing fuel lines. My weed Wacker has been through 2 sets till I finally made my own from vacuum tubing, so far so good.

Why do the carbs still gum up if 2 stroke oil prevents this?
Mine had jelly looking stuff in the float bowls when I too it apart last year, ran fine. Had not been apart since 2005. I run any crap gas I can get from a busy station that's not at the bottom of a hill.
Brand, who gives a crap it all comes from same fuel rack and in different trailers.
The Holley I mentioned earlier is from the 1980s bought on sale at Super Shops. The inside looks same as it did back in the day. I did change the floats about 2002 when I put the car back on the road after a 7-8 year non-op period, those floats are still in the car today and it returned a reasonable mid 13 mpg to and from Norwalk Oh in late July.

Back