Exact starter switch

When I say nothing happened I meant each starter kicked ONCE with a turn of the key.
That is NOT "nothing happens"...
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

I give up....

Service writer: Hi. What can I do for you today?
Customer: The car makes a noise whenever I make a right turn onto Washingtion Blvd.
SW: Just Wash. Blvd?
C: Yes. Well, not a noise really. Like a skree-unch (uses hand gesture to describe a sound)
SW:
ScratchHead.gif

No, I haven't, thought about that last night but it'a not really possible the way my car is currently situated. I've got a 10/2/55 amp 12v batt charger though. I thinking maybe I can juice my weak battery with that.

Most likely his other car has a plastic bumper..... LOL

55 amp booster might work... Charge the battery for a few hours first.

I'd say to take the battery out of the other car.. but you may drain that one too and strand yourself.

One car is inside, the other......outside...way outside. No cable in the world long enough to span the distance. Hence, why I'm pulling the batt charger out, give it a try. Might do the trick. If the battery will hold enough charge.

Most likely his other car has a plastic bumper..... LOL

55 amp booster might work... Charge the battery for a few hours first.

I'd say to take the battery out of the other car.. but you may drain that one too and strand yourself.
Yup. Gonna give that a try before putting out the bucks for a new batt. The battery my other car is not big enough.

Yeh, jump box are nice...but I've seen them go dead also. I like to keep big jumper cables in the trunk at all times.

EXTREMELY disappointing day today. I spent ten hours trying to figure out WTF is keeping this car from starting properly. I also found out AAP led me astray. I had the same battery tested at Peep Boys, AZ & Sears. It passed there, but AAP said it was crap. Go figure. I think the next diagnostic tool I use on this car will be a really big hammer.

There isn't one of us that hasn't spent a who!e day chasing our tail and end up with nothing to show for it. Take Sunday off. Monday, you'll find the problem.
I need to ask one more question.
You say that you turn the key to the START position, the starter clicks and then does nothing. After the starter clicks, is the whole car dead or just the starter?
Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
There isn't one of us that hasn't spent a who!e day chasing our tail and end up with nothing to show for it. Take Sunday off. Monday, you'll find the problem.
I need to ask one more question.
You say that you turn the key to the START position, the starter clicks and then does nothing. After the starter clicks, is the whole car dead or just the starter?
Posted via Topify on Android
No, the whole car is not dead. The lights still come on, bright as usual, buzzer, dash gauges, horn, ...as if everything is normal. I can keep turning the key to start all day and the starter will click every time...all day. I keep being told its the starter motor, but I've already rigged up to other Chrysler starter motors and they did the same thing. I wish I could walk away, this sort of thing grabs me and won't let go until I've figured it out. Something as simple and stupid as this probably is.

Do the lights stay on just as bright when the key is turned and the starter "clicks"?

Again... Check ALL the connections, including the ground wire to the engine.

Short the two connections on the starter. As I have said, if you do that, you bypass everything else except battery, battery wiring and starter.

You eliminated the battery as a problem. Now there are two things left.... The starter or the wiring from the battery to the starter.

One other question... and this sounds dumb, but I saw it happen to another guy once. Can you turn over the engine with a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt. Yea.. I know.. It was running... This drove the other guy nuts until he realized the car (ex Fury cop car) had tossed a rod when it "dieseled" as he shut it off.

Do the lights stay on just as bright when the key is turned and the starter "clicks"?

Again... Check ALL the connections, including the ground wire to the engine.

Short the two connections on the starter. As I have said, if you do that, you bypass everything else except battery, battery wiring and starter.

You eliminated the battery as a problem. Now there are two things left.... The starter or the wiring from the battery to the starter.

One other question... and this sounds dumb, but I saw it happen to another guy once. Can you turn over the engine with a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt. Yea.. I know.. It was running... This drove the other guy nuts until he realized the car (ex Fury cop car) had tossed a rod when it "dieseled" as he shut it off.

Yes, the lights stay on when the starter actuates. The dim just barely, which is usually the case.
I'll try spinning the engine by hand. It was running perfectly before this little episode...but it is wise to cover all the bases however remote.

The only item I haven't really looked at critically is the starter relay on the firewall. I tried to get a new one yesterday but no one has them in stock..have to get one from RockAuto.

Yes, the lights stay on when the starter actuates. The dim just barely, which is usually the case.
I'll try spinning the engine by hand. It was running perfectly before this little episode...but it is wise to cover all the bases however remote.

The only item I haven't really looked at critically is the starter relay on the firewall. I tried to get a new one yesterday but no one has them in stock..have to get one from RockAuto.

Yes, but if you jump the connections at the starter, you bypass the relay.

its impossible to cross the terminals with a screw driver while it is still bolted in....no room. I have to take it off again. UGh.

Find something else to short it with. It doesn't have to be a screwdriver. Use a quarter.... a piece of wire...

Don't take it out....

Back