Fender tag decoding

justthatguy

Reaction score
I just bought a 71 fury 3 and I'm trying to determine a little about the car and I've been able to decode most of it but I really have a question about the drivetrain codes, I know it was a 360 2 barrel with the heavy duty transmission code d32 (score for a small block 727) but there's a code I can't quite decipher. M182. I have no idea what it is. Also, my car has an 8 1/4 which I thought was odd considering that it had a 727. I can't see that there's any code regarding the rear gear, I suppose I'll have to physically look at the rear end for that.

All in all, it seems like originally it was a pretty unremarkable car, though it was b2 blue which is nice. I'm including a pic of the tag and the car. Can anyone add to my assessment?

20181023_120601.jpg

20181023_120458.jpg

20181015_151755.jpg

It's M1B2 ... And it's not related to the drivetrain.
What is the "Gold Duster Special Package" ?

Code:
PM41:
Plymouth Fury
Medium
4 Door Sedan

K1F: Unknown
Newark, DE, USA

231583: Sequence number

E57:  360 cid 2 barrel V8 255hp
D32:  Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GB2:  Light Blue Poly Exterior Color
M1B2:  Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Unknown, Unknown Color
GB2:  Light Blue Poly Int. Door Frames
602:  Build Date: June 02
408228: Order number

CB2:  Light Blue Poly Top Color
U:  USA Specifications
A01:  Light Package
A94:  Gold Duster Special Package
H51:  Air Conditioning with Heater
L31:  Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

M26:  Wheel Lip Moldings
R11:  Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5B:  Body Side Stripes, Light Blue
26:  26in Radiator
END:  End of Sales Codes

M1B2 is interior.

71_Fury0011.jpg

A94 is Reminder Light Package, obviously not a Gold Duster. Internet, gotta love it.

It's M1B2 ... And it's not related to the drivetrain.
What is the "Gold Duster Special Package" ?

Code:
PM41:
Plymouth Fury
Medium
4 Door Sedan

K1F: Unknown
Newark, DE, USA

231583: Sequence number

E57:  360 cid 2 barrel V8 255hp
D32:  Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GB2:  Light Blue Poly Exterior Color
M1B2:  Trim - Opt. Decor Group, Unknown, Unknown Color
GB2:  Light Blue Poly Int. Door Frames
602:  Build Date: June 02
408228: Order number

CB2:  Light Blue Poly Top Color
U:  USA Specifications
A01:  Light Package
A94:  Gold Duster Special Package
H51:  Air Conditioning with Heater
L31:  Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

M26:  Wheel Lip Moldings
R11:  Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V5B:  Body Side Stripes, Light Blue
26:  26in Radiator
END:  End of Sales Codes

A94 was also the Reminder Light Package in 71.

"A94 70-71 Gold Duster Special Package
A94 71 only Reminder Light Package"

This your old car? @Wollfen
It probably is, I saw it on craigslist and when I googled pictures this exact car came up with a link to this forum and I bought it based on the pictures.

Bought it from a guy in Newport news, he had pulled the engine to use it as a decoration piece in his man cave. He was going to part it out but I luckily got the whole thing. It's a really solid car.

This your old car? @Wollfen
It probably is, I saw it on craigslist and when I googled pictures this exact car came up with a link to this forum and I bought it based on the pictures.

Bought it from a guy in Newport news, he had pulled the engine to use it as a decoration piece in his man cave. He was going to part it out but I luckily got the whole thing. It's a really solid car.
Yes that's my old car, I bought it from Eden NC where it had originally been sold new. I had it for about a year before deciding to move it on. Too good to part for sure.

Yes that's my old car, I bought it from Eden NC where it had originally been sold new. I had it for about a year before deciding to move it on. Too good to part for sure.
No ****, I'm from Danville. That's wild that the car was originally from here. I wonder if the first owner is still around, I'd love to get some stories about it.

What’s your plans for the car? Dropping an engine back in?
Absolutely. I was going to go with a 400 but I can buy a 360 and budget upgrade it plus have a bolt in overdrive and modern electronics.

I actually bought it as a tribute to my great uncle who ran whiskey in a 69 big block polara. It was a way of life for years here and it's one that's gone but the vehicles of choice were big block c bodies. So many of them were taken up north or parted out for their drivetrains pr met their ends in demo derbies. There's only a handful left and as far as I know I'm the only one around that has a 71 fury.

It's just saving a piece of history that meant so much to so many around here and to my family in particular. Plus I've wanted a fury for years and years.

No ****, I'm from Danville. That's wild that the car was originally from here. I wonder if the first owner is still around, I'd love to get some stories about it.
Car was sold new on 7-26-71 to Mattie D Nooe by Bouldin Motor Company Inc. Maybe you can look up the name?

Do you have any of the car's documentation? I'll see what I can find on Google.
I think that's all I have I'm afraid. I will have a look and let you know, I don't think I took a scan of the title before i had it changed to me.

As best as my google tells me, it was sold to Ms Nooe who passed decades ago, and the last surviving member of the family that would probably remember the car died a few months ago (strangely enough on my birthday).

It's incredible that this car was original to the area and lived almost it's whole life here.

Would anyone have a guess as to what the rear gear is? I can always grab some out of a Jeep rear with limited slip if I have to I'm just hoping I have a usable ratio.

You might be better off finding an 8 3/4 rear for the car as most of them did come with those and they shouldn't be too hard to find.You still might have to swap the center section to get the gears you want,though,but it's pretty easy even if you haven't done it before.
Also,3:23 gearsets for the 8 3/4 rears are really common and are a good compromise between off the line acceleration and highway driveability.

The car was originally a small block so my idea was a warm 360 and an overdrive trans for right now to get it driveable, and maybe a big block and an 8 3/4 in the future. I'm trying to use as much of the car and associated parts as I can in the short term, and I really doubt a warm 360 could break an 8 1/4. The overdrive would allow me to run as much as 3.90s without too much worry but that puts me at too high an rpm for cruising, so I was thinking 3.73s to make up for the lack of torque of a small block.

Mostly, there's a very big lack of C body parts in this area that's giving me trouble. The only ones I've ever seen in junkyards were 8 1/4 and slant 6/318, and those were some time ago. I don't even know where I'd go to get small stuff, much less a complete rear. This bears some weight in my decision to leave my fresh 400 wrapped up for a later use. Besides, I could take advantage of the small block/overdrive combo and take it on a few road trips, since the gas mileage wouldn't be too bad.

I understand what you're saying and it's planned for the future but I'm going to see what I can get done with what I have right now, if for nothing other than my own amusement, see how inexpensively I can do it.

Back