Finally a 70’ Fury Owner

The chain had some slack in it. About 9° degrees of play in it with camshaft engaged. FSM limit is about 8..5°. Decided to replace it while I was in there with a Cloyes Double roller set. Motor has good compression in cylinders. Cam wear is suspected for the mileage. Worked on getting the oil seal in without a press but made it work and sealed it with Neoprene. I’ll have to do an oil change for any material that dropped down into the oil pan.

View attachment 263951

View attachment 263952

Starting to look like an engine again. Ignition rewired, choke hooked up, Engine on TDC, Dizzy lined up. Block full of coolant.

Last thing should be the linkage. I’m able to set up the kickdown, but I can’t get the throttle set up properly. Sitting a bit too far forward.

Possibly need a different or 4V bracket? It’s the original 2V off the old intake. Anything I can fabricate?

View attachment 263953
Wow I’ve been gone from the board for a while and it looks like you’ve made some pretty good progress.

Here is the no cent fix for your linkage. Check out my pick I’m exactly the same set up as yours. Holley 600 from a 2bbl. All I did was bend the foot feed bracket straight up and it both moves it in line and a little back at the same time. In some cases you have to bolt some all thread in the clamp and use a hose clamp to hold the foot feed cable. It’s sleazy but it works. Check out my picks and you’ll see what I mean. That binding cable will give you fits and eventually snap. You got this.

8BDA08B4-ADEF-47BA-B072-77070D676CFF.jpeg

F89043C7-C9DA-4C53-8125-63CE455E8F22.jpeg

EDAAB023-5E3F-41E3-837D-0E40793B9EE0.jpeg

28791D42-B171-47AD-AFAC-215C96900EA8.jpeg

While I take a hiatus - A friend is parting out 2 ‘66 Chargers and selling the console for a pretty good price. Might as well jump on the opportunity as it’s local. What all do I need?

The console body itself, wiring, the 3 welded brackets, linkage and shifter? (Shifter is already sold so I’ll have to source one)

1124A3B0-F3DC-47CA-B00A-A4D29E921BE4.jpeg

B6B0CF60-63B6-49B0-928A-7E47C29D5AF1.jpeg

uuuumm A new steering steering column? (to be correct)

IIRC in watching the kickdown master tech videos there's a whole bunch of linkage different for the kickdown with the console right?
Maybe it's a 4bbl car and you can get all to the carb eh?
Bob's yer unckle as they say down under.

Yes the shift linkage is tricky in that it also controls the park lock along with the column key. I had a ***** of a time getting mine right after the factory parts got lost. In fact I got my first body ding when the car didn't quite lock into park when the console shifter selected it. Fortunately the damage was minimal, but if it had rolled in different direction it could have been a disaster.

Do you think the linkage from a 66 B-Body will work on a 70 C? I know the mounting brackets and the console body are all the same but Im not sure on the linkage. Its from a 727

Probably not because the 66 didn't have the steering lock cam that was introduced in the 70 models.

Looks like I'll be needing a new steering column collar, a good shifter/knob and once i find out the skinny, possibly the correct linkage. Maybe I'll check a parts book tonight while I'm on duty. I'll get some pictures of it once i pick it up this weekend.

Do you think the linkage from a 66 B-Body will work on a 70 C? I know the mounting brackets and the console body are all the same but Im not sure on the linkage. Its from a 727

Probably not because the 66 didn't have the steering lock cam that was introduced in the 70 models.

I can't see why the steering lock would have anything to do with it, once you bypass the column shift linkage it's just a steering column.

As for the 66 B-body stuff working on your C....yes and no. There is going to be a bunch of differences in the length of the linkages and placement of the brackets under the car, but again anything can be made to work if your willing to do a bit of fab work.

Also looking at the pics and info The Goose gave you earlier I don't think will apply to your set-up. Looks like the conversion he did was on a 68 or earlier model with the multi rod kick down linkage. The kick down on your car is a one piece from the tranny to the throttle linkage and if you bend up the throttle cable mount it will interfere with the kick down linkage's ability to move. You can see on the pics posted that his kick down linkage mounts low and below the throttle bracket assembly.

Well although the trans tunnel might be a little different between the 2, wouldn't the location that the brackets bolt to the console itself be the same? Meaning the lengths would be very similar? Im sure the FSM and old threads will be my best friend in this.

Also looking at the pics and info The Goose gave you earlier I don't think will apply to your set-up. Looks like the conversion he did was on a 68 or earlier model with the multi rod kick down linkage. The kick down on your car is a one piece from the tranny to the throttle linkage and if you bend up the throttle cable mount it will interfere with the kick down linkage's ability to move. You can see on the pics posted that his kick down linkage mounts low and below the throttle bracket assembly.

I had a similar suspicion. Im not around the car so I'll have to check the play and movement in linkage when Im around it, but yes it uses the 1 piece kickdown linkage.

I think what i would need is the 3-Piece linkage detailed in the manual? The only issue however, is the manual makes zero mention as to what engine applications each setup is for. The only distinctions it makes, are for 6 Cylinder, 8 Cylinder, and HEMI cars. Additionally in the diagram, they both picture 2BBl BBD carburetors so maybe theyre all interchangeable?

IMG_7371.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1351.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1350.jpeg

So I picked up the console and linkage. The linkage looks like a similar shape and all the bolts and positions are the same as the listed picture. As for size and length, it may vary.
Pictured I have everything from the Upper Rod and the first Rod swivel piece. Is the “Column Lock Rear Rod” and the “Adjustable Rod Swivel Assemblies” items that would already be on a car with column shift? More clearly my question is - would I need to go back and make sure I grab these pieces of linkage? Or will it already be on my car?

C97C708F-D17D-4470-AFD5-6AF1BBDFAE28.jpeg

Well your 3 piece kick down is specific to SB and BB due engine height and geometry. So looking for a a set-up off and SB and a 4bbl is going to be tough since they never offered one to my knowledge, but if you get the lower section for a SB 2bbl, and then run a 4bbl BB throttle bracket and upper rods I think you should be able to make something work.

This is why I have a big box of old kick down linkages and rods....makes piecing together a non-factory set-up a little easier. ;)

So I picked up the console and linkage. The linkage looks like a similar shape and all the bolts and positions are the same as the listed picture. As for size and length, it may vary.
Pictured I have everything from the Upper Rod and the first Rod swivel piece. Is the “Column Lock Rear Rod” and the “Adjustable Rod Swivel Assemblies” items that would already be on a car with column shift? More clearly my question is - would I need to go back and make sure I grab these pieces of linkage? Or will it already be on my car?

View attachment 268742
FWIW, the shifter will function without the linkage to the column.

The column won't lock when it's in park without the linkage. It's possible you may have to remove a couple pieces in the column to keep it from locking but the function is just for the lock.

I'd still get the pieces, but it's up to you if you want to use them.

The column won't lock when it's in park without the linkage. It's possible you may have to remove a couple pieces in the column to keep it from locking but the function is just for the lock.
AFAIK the steering lock is controlled by the ignition key position. The link allows the transmission to be shifted out of Park only when the steering lock is released. So if you don't connect the linkage to the steering column then I think all you would lose is the ability to lock the trany in park when the ignition is off and the key removed. If you have young children around the car, they could shift out of park allowing the car to roll away.

AFAIK the steering lock is controlled by the ignition key position. The link allows the transmission to be shifted out of Park only when the steering lock is released. So if you don't connect the linkage to the steering column then I think all you would lose is the ability to lock the trany in park when the ignition is off and the key removed. If you have young children around the car, they could shift out of park allowing the car to roll away.
Yep, you are correct. I was thinking backwards.

I've had those columns apart too... Mind fart...

Back