Finally got my vacation car, only took 11 years

70bigblockdodge

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
As told by senior member to start a thread about my new 1981 Imperial. So here goes.
As most who have been here a while know I'm about as big a cheap sake as you will find, especially buying cars. I stumbled across this site back in 2013 looking for a C body, still don't have one.
I did happen on a cheap '81 Imperial. As I mentioned in Charles thread it's rough, but hasn't had 20 different assholes cutting, modifying, "fixing", when in reality they don't know their *** from a hole in the ground. So I don't have to unf@&k their work.
PXL_20240204_163417500.jpg
PXL_20240204_163939824.jpg

PXL_20240204_163401416.jpg

Yes, I know those are not the right wheels(just rollers), I have the steel wheels and 4 Chrysler spoked hubcaps, 2 with imperial center and 2 with large pentastar, on the lookout for Imperial centers.
Picked it up Wednesday
2548.jpeg

So today after work threw a battery in it and twist the key. Nothing, dammit.
Add booster, cranking, add fuel from bottle and we got fire, yaaaay. So ran it for a whole 16 oz bottle of gas. Throttle blades are stuck somewhat open due to my foot stomping on gas ( if it breaks needed replaced anyway). Turns out potting material from module in air cleaner oozed down through throttle plates. Cleaned got them moving. Added coolant we will see if that stays or leaks out somewhere.
She needs a bath.
So here is the start, more to come.

Congrats! And guess what…you suck! :lol:

Great score. The exterior looks very good and pretty complete. A possibility to get it to run would be to maybe go the Holley Sniper route. Use the dist. tach signal to sync the injectors. Interior pics would be nice.

you suck!
Thank you!
Vacation car?
Yes, wife's Jeep GC has almost 200k, she loves it and it does run well. Problem is taking it on vacation with never having touched anything but wear items and a radiator and water pump. Then the electronics have 200k on them, so when will they quit. A car like this Imp will be refreshed with all common parts, carb, points, or maybe a GM HEI module (because replacement Chrysler boxes are harder to find and chi-com reliable? HEI is common and hopefully the numbers game will land a better one, still a gamble)
A possibility to get it to run would be to maybe go the Holley Sniper route
That would be a possibility, but back to reliability and common auto parts the sniper is not that. If I were to move it toward EFI I'm putting the 5.7 hemi that I have with factory PCM and wiring harness. Then I'm into the rest of the drive line, which is beyond the scope of my focus right now.

Last edited:
Cool find, Always best when they are unmolested .
I recognized the area and the Mercedes shop of your photos .
I see my old driveway, (Colter Street) as I lived there for 6 years. That was 9 years ago.
Good luck with your find.

Dave, you cheap Bastard, you make me proud!
Thanks for starting this thread.
Gonna follow with enthusiasm because I always keep one of those Imps on my lookout list. The EFI scares the crap out of me on those things. I'm digging the 5.7 route.

Cool find, Always best when they are unmolested .
I recognized the area and the Mercedes shop of your photos .
I see my old driveway, (Colter Street) as I lived there for 6 years. That was 9 years ago.
Good luck with your find.
Yep, Messiah Motors. Owned by Pastor Bill if I remember correctly. I dealt with Tim, he knows his way around those Mercs'.
The EFI scares the crap out of me on those things
It's kind of a simple system, but info is spotty and there is no diagnostic port, just voltage checks. There is no common flow chart on them. I have engine and chassis manual so I'll have to read a bit. Still may try to see if it works if I can get some correct pressure fuel to it. The melted potting leaking down into the throttle body added a lot of aggravation to EFI.
I think the 5.7 Hemi is where I would like to end up, and as far as 3rd gen Hemi's go it's a '04, so pretty undesirable for hot rod stuff, perfect for a luxo barge.

I've owned my 1981 Imperial for nearly 18 years and let me tell you, you're going to love it.

Much like you i joined here to find a C-body. The Imperial hooked me and I wanted another big Mopar.

Little update. Cleaned out the trunk and jacked it up, turns out it is a 8.25" rear so that's better I guess. Pulled the gas tank, started making up a temporary fuel system with a electric pump. Got the throttle to move better with some cleaning and additional springs to make it return.
Removed fuel pump block off plate to see if there is a eccentric in there and there is something although it is pretty sludged up. A buddy dropped off a manifold and carb from a 72 318 so that and my points distributor will get it running when F.I. does not work.
Supposed to be warmer this week so I should get the temp F.I. fuel system connected.

Little update. Cleaned out the trunk and jacked it up, turns out it is a 8.25" rear so that's better I guess. Pulled the gas tank, started making up a temporary fuel system with a electric pump. Got the throttle to move better with some cleaning and additional springs to make it return.
Removed fuel pump block off plate to see if there is a eccentric in there and there is something although it is pretty sludged up. A buddy dropped off a manifold and carb from a 72 318 so that and my points distributor will get it running when F.I. does not work.
Supposed to be warmer this week so I should get the temp F.I. fuel system connected.

Tire smoke this weekend ?

Yep, Messiah Motors. Owned by Pastor Bill if I remember correctly. I dealt with Tim, he knows his way around those Mercs'.

It's kind of a simple system, but info is spotty and there is no diagnostic port, just voltage checks. There is no common flow chart on them. I have engine and chassis manual so I'll have to read a bit. Still may try to see if it works if I can get some correct pressure fuel to it. The melted potting leaking down into the throttle body added a lot of aggravation to EFI.
I think the 5.7 Hemi is where I would like to end up, and as far as 3rd gen Hemi's go it's a '04, so pretty undesirable for hot rod stuff, perfect for a luxo barge.

The 04 is actually a better HP choice in some respects because it doesn't have MDS. All 8 all the time. Later heads, Eagle I believe are better flowing but will bump compression because of smaller chambers. Could be iffy for pump gas depending on camshaft specs if you keep the 04 bottom end.

For stone axe reliability, do a big block 4.25 stroker 6 pak with a magneto and a 4 speed... Who needs an electrical system. Lol

Kevin

The 04 is actually a better HP choice in some respects because it doesn't have MDS. All 8 all the time. Later heads, Eagle I believe are better flowing but will bump compression because of smaller chambers. Could be iffy for pump gas depending on camshaft specs if you keep the 04 bottom end.

For stone axe reliability, do a big block 4.25 stroker 6 pak with a magneto and a 4 speed... Who needs an electrical system. Lol

Kevin
I actually have 2 '04 engines the pu has blanks in the MDS the Durango engine which has a hole in the side of the block, has MDS solenoids, guess they needed the passenger car engine to have a better CAFE MPG. It will have factory computer so it can retard the timing when I put crappy gas.
4.25 stroker big block would go in the race car.

Congrats on the car!

I hear you about having the 5.7s on hand, but the installation parts to bolt them in add up.
My recommendation would be a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum, mildly-beefed A500, and 3.91 gears into the 8.25.
Or even a plain 318 with some 360-type parts - gears make all the difference.
Make the Imp into one of these:

1711499749267.png

Back