Formal Mainfesto...

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Almost thought of writing a "Formal Manifesto".... in the Mecum $9k 1977 New Yorker thread and decided to start a new thread instead.

But here are a few of my thoughts....

I didn't have an appreciation for C-Body's and specifically Formal's until a decade ago. I remember C-Bodies when they were brand new cars when I started driving in 1971. My opinion then was that they were "old man cars". There was an Imperial/Chrysler dealer right across the street from Peter's Dodge in Milwaukee where I bought my used 69 Bee and my new 73 Challenger and I never even walked in their parking lot to look at a single car ever back then. I actually wanted a 1968/1969 B3 RR or a GTX with a 4 speed back then. I couldn't find one in my price range and I finally found my 69 Bee for $1750 which was a lot of money for 1971. About a decade ago, I decided I wanted to get back to my Mopar roots and get a car to keep for good. I started to hunt down 1968 Ny'ers. I almost pulled the trigger on a blue one but decided I need to hold off while trying to figure which one I wanted by options and I started to research C-Bodies and figured out there was 3 versions of C-Bodies. Slabs, Fusies, and Formal's. It seemed to me that Mopar improved on everything on each era. Slab's were great, then Fusie's were even better, than I figured out (in my mind) that Formal's were the best designed in styling, luxury, handling, etc. I've learned a lot about these cars and probably would of spent more money ($5k-$9k) to get a low mileage, rust free, turn key car. I have more than $9k already in my 78 NYB DD. But I've had a blast figuring out how Formal's car work and the mystery of 1978 engineering. I love both of my Formal's and love driving them on big road trips on the highways across America. And I'll never get rid of them.

DSC02967.jpg

In 1978, I was walking out to the parking lot with a buddy after work. In the lot, we came up to his 1 day old '78 St. Regis. Whoooaaaaaa...
wide-eyes.gif

It was already Sept. and I knew that production had recently ended on the very last of these big'uns along with the Town Car. The Caddy had already bowed out 2 years earlier and I knew things would never be as good again.
I was right....

Last edited:
In 1978 I had a green 4 door 69 Plymouth Fury with a 383 and a white 1977 Dodge Pickup with a Slant 6. I was heading overseas and sold the Fury and my future ex-wife left my truck with her nephew "Stoney" when she joined me overseas 6 months later and he allegedly totaled the truck in a gas station parking lot.

I was going to ship the truck overseas when I left. She said she wanted to drive the truck until she headed overseas (it was about a 6 month wait to get family housing overseas back then) and she would ship it over. I knew I should of shipped the truck and bought her a $100 beater until she came overseas. Anyways....I asked for the shipping documents when she arrived overseas and she said that her nephew wanted the truck and would take over payments. Of course Stoney didn't make any payments so I told her I was going to Phoenix to assassinate the loser and get my truck shipped overseas. All of sudden it is reported to me that he totaled the truck in a gas station parking lot and Stoney was in vegetative state in the hospital. The insurance covered most of the truck and his family paid the balance. I'm pretty sure Stoney wasn't in a vegetative state......they were trying to keep me from going back and snuffing Stoney. I sent her *** back to the States for good less than the year later and divorced her.

In 1978 I got a new 78 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe. Great car! I absolutely loved it once we got the LeanBurn glitches cleared up. Of course, it wasn't one of the large formals but it had a lot of the formal options in a smaller format. Wish I still had it.

I follow Bob's same thought process on these cars. I have owned my Barracuda and Challenger since the mid eighties. I only became a fan of these big cars later, slabs are my first choice but having to update engine and brakes to run in modern traffic is just another project I don't have time for. Fusies are not my favorite. Formals all have killer brakes that are shared with vans and truck up into the eighties so pads calipers rotor/drums are all common and easy. I am not a car show type guy so having a perfect car is not in my thing, a nice well performing driver able to eat up 500-700 miles in a day while sitting on what equates to a kick *** living room sofa is what I'm looking for.

After seeing MR. Cs Formals, i realized i must own one now. Too many Mopars on my " must own list"

Last edited:
But a lot of you guys own Formals and are Staunch Heteros. I want one and it turns into a gay thing? Maybe i will just stick with Slabs....lol.

Back