Status
Not open for further replies.

FURYGT

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
30-1966 Chrysler 300 | Tom Mack Classics

December 2, 2017 auction in Birmingham Alabama

Long time C Body fans who were on the C Body Dry Dock will remember the Flying Whale by name. My recall is that man named Henry who lived in Maine (I think) built this car with a very high HP 440 and all kinds of suspension and brake mods. This car was FAST and could keep up with sports cars through curves. Not sure why Henry sold it or what happened to him. Heard a doctor on the west coast bought it but that the car scared him because it was so fast and therefore he put it up for sale. I think it went through a few hands. I would love to have this car but doubt I can come up with funds to buy it. Other than being dirty, it looks just like it did when photos of it were posted on the dry dock more than a decade ago.

Flying Whale.jpg

Last edited:
:thankyou: I remember the build and watching Henry build it . I dont recall why he sold it but it seemed once he was done, he sold it . The Flying Whale made a few magazines and disappeared. Thank you for posting this Bill :thankyou:

That car might go cheaper than you think... There's a lot of Mopars there and that one might get overlooked for some of the other stock C-bodies. You never know with auctions.

Needless to say, I want it...[/QUOTE]

You are not alone. I used to own a '66 300 4dr hardtop that was a nice driver. I miss that car. It was so comfortable to drive and the '66 300 IMHO is one of the best looking C's built.

Needless to say, I want it...

You are not alone. I used to own a '66 300 4dr hardtop that was a nice driver. I miss that car. It was so comfortable to drive and the '66 300 IMHO is one of the best looking C's built.[/QUOTE]
I couldn’t agree more, the grille and the roofline are stellar, favorite year of my favorite model for the C-body.

IMHO its an eye sore. To change it back could be expensive and might involve painting the whole car.

Probably no need to paint the whole car but blending on top of the fenders and cowl will probably have to happen. Of course even that will depend on the condition of the rest of the paint.

Ive always liked the scoop . I thought Henry did a marvelous job all around . Since the car is legendary the scoop HAS to stay on

Needless to say, I want it...

"You are not alone. I used to own a '66 300 4dr hardtop that was a nice driver. I miss that car. It was so comfortable to drive and the '66 300 IMHO is one of the best looking C's built.[/QUOTE]"

I have been wanting to write an update on this car and in fact, started a post twice but I guess I forgot to check the stay signed in button and my 2 previous attempts disappeared when this site logged me out.

Despite poor timing financially and garage space wise, I had to bid on this car and try to get it knowing what it was and remembering the build so I am happy to update you on this car.

The Flying Whale is back in New England, in my garage in fact. I signed up for the auction as a phone bidder and believe that I was bidding against one other person and I made one more bid above the max limit I set for myself and that did the trick.

The car arrived last Thursday evening and we were able to get it running. The air cleaner is missing and the car needs a good cleaning and detailing. The car is a mostly original paint and original chrome and trim car originally from California so she is rust free. She has some scratches, chips, a small ding or two and 2 small areas that someone either buffed to aggressively or went to aggressive with wet sanding on. She will be a very nice looking, presentable car after I get her cleaned up in the Spring.

I thought my yellow '68 Sport Fury with a stock looking 520" stroker sounded bad a$$ but this thing sounds like a race car because, essentially it is a race car and the engine is clearly a race engine.

I want to give a big THANK YOU for Bill M. for sending me a bunch of photos of the car that were listed in the eBay auction when it was up for sale and for the PDF of the eBay auction and info. on the build of the car.

Henry L., who built the car and I have texted and talked a few times and he plans to come and see the car in the Spring and is willing to help me out in any way he can with the car.

Below, please find the story about the car and the "build" of this one of a kind C Machine.

Bill

Last edited:
The Flyin Whale story as originally posted on a prior version of the C Body Dry Dock in 2005 or 2006 as told by Henry L, the builder of this unique '66 300.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope as I tell this story some of you will remember me. In particular the guy who got his Fury into hotrod last year (Tom, I believe) and "Anthonyfury". If you guys are still around.... Howdy!

I bought a one owner '66 300 in Sacramento, garaged its whole life, no rust, and no options except a/c. I wanted to make a real sleeper so the work began. (I apologize to you purists out there - I can't help it - I'm a hot-rodder)

First the suspension. I swapped in '73 Fury disks with all new bushings and ball joints, KYB shocks, '78 New Yorker 1.030" torsion bars (these bars were the biggest I found anywhere for a c-body) and an Addco 1" front sway bar. The rear was replaced with a custom Dana 60 with 3.54 gears, a power-lock and Dutchman axles. The rear disk brakes are a kit by Street Rod Manufacturing. New bushings were added to custom 9 leaf front/7 leaf rear springs with KYB shocks and a 3/4" sway bar.

Next the engine. You know how you start off by doing a budget rebuild and ending up with something three times the cost? Well it happened to me - again. Since the 300 came with a 383, I got a '74 imperial 440 from the junkyard. The last of the thick wall blocks. The crank was polished, balanced, with Ross pistons and ARP rod bolts on blueprinted stock rods. Edelbrock heads with a custom Elgin solid lifter cam and Comp springs. The block was bored, honed with torque plates, and line honed after main studs were installed. Topped by a performer RPM intake, a Holley 950 HP and Mallory vintage dual point distributor. Ready to make 550 hp and 580ft/lbs of torque.

I got a brand new 727 tranny built for drag racing from a friend of mine, it had never been run since rebuilding. "Will it shift automatically?" "Yeah, sure - hard though" Well, he moved to Texas before I found out it was full manual, reverse pattern shift. Add one TCI converter, a new-in-box Gear Vendors overdrive from a guy in trouble with the IRS and I have a 6 speed manual with no clutch. I thought this was going to be low budget...

The body is stock, no cosmetic changes. I did add a '65 Imperial gas tank, 3/8" fuel line, an A-body console full of gauges and a B&M ratchet shifter. A rebuilt manual steering box was added from a '69 Dodge van. The wheels are steel 16x9 front and will be 16x10 rear with 265/50R16 BFG's on the front and 295/50R16's on the rear. The front mount of the rear spring will be moved inboard 1" to accommodate the rear tires this spring. The center caps are custom made from the optional 300 spinner center hubcaps. It looks quite good.

The car still has the original Spanish red interior and exterior with black vinyl top in good shape.

The engine was installed this fall. Hooker headers and a full 3" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers. The first test drive was in October, two weeks before I was due to leave California for Maine (I did want to drive it cross country - but too many bugs and not enough time). Ever had a c-body sideways at 50mph? Scared the crap out of me! This thing hauls! With a curb weight of around 4000lbs, it feels quite fast. I can't wait to take it on some back roads this spring!!

Hope you enjoyed reading, email me if you have any questions

I'll try to include a photo here if possible.

C-bodies Rule!!

Henry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang! (I just got done wiping the drool off my keyboard). That is one sweet car. If you want, you can email me pics and I can post them for you.

I want to see this beast.

Matt

While I would have preferred to see a less than original car used, each to their own. Sounds awesome. You need to modify the body. Suggest you start with the tail lamps and sell the current ones to me (LOL).

Bill (I am pretty sure this was my post)

Sounds great! Would really like to see some detail photos of those rear springs, and others of the axle set-up.

Very impressed by what you've detailed so far.

Cam specs?

I have emailed "70 sport fury GT" with some photos. He said he could post them for us. The cam specs are 254 duration at .050" with .585" lift, 110 lobe separation, installed 2 degrees advanced. With the small port Edelbrock heads, it has wicked throttle response, from idle, tap the gas and wham - 5 grand. It’s kind of loud though with the straight through mufflers. I added a crossover and that helped. It has 11 inches of vacuum and uses a vacuum canister for the power brakes.

Henry

What's the matter, were they all sold out of "big cams"?

What piston did you use w/that cam to make decent compression pressure?

Don - 71 Newport

Sounds like a fairly aggressive cam for a car that big. Must be a kick to drive (just ignore the gas mileage!)

Frank C.

Glad to hear from you buddy!!!!! What's your new e-mail?? I tried emailing the last known contact I had from you (I think it switched a couple of times before you dropped off the face of the earth).

Anyway, I think we're going to need pictures.

Anthony Fury

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here are the pics of the greatest 1966 Chrysler 300 known to mankind...

This is one awesome car!

Matt

Alright... now we're talkin'

I would like to know more about those rims!

Sounds like it's just about what I'm doing to my '65 NY...

You are not alone. I used to own a '66 300 4dr hardtop that was a nice driver. I miss that car. It was so comfortable to drive and the '66 300 IMHO is one of the best looking C's built.

I have been wanting to write an update on this car and in fact, started a post twice but I guess I forgot to check the stay signed in button and my 2 previous attempts disappeared when this site logged me out.

Despite poor timing financially and garage space wise, I had to bid on this car and try to get it knowing what it was and remembering the build so I am happy to update you on this car.

The Flying Whale is back in New England, in my garage in fact. I signed up for the auction as a phone bidder and believe that I was bidding against one other person and I made one more bid above the max limit I set for myself and that did the trick.

The car arrived last Thursday evening and we were able to get it running. The air cleaner is missing and the car needs a good cleaning and detailing. The car is a mostly original paint and original chrome and trim car originally from California so she is rust free. She has some scratches, chips, a small ding or two and 2 small areas that someone either buffed to aggressively or went to aggressive with wet sanding on. She will be a very nice looking, presentable car after I get her cleaned up in the Spring.

I thought my yellow '68 Sport Fury with a stock looking 520" stroker sounded bad a$$ but this thing sounds like a race car because, essentially it is a race car and the engine is clearly a race engine.

I want to give a big THANK YOU for Bill M. for sending me a bunch of photos of the car that were listed in the eBay auction when it was up for sale and for the PDF of the eBay auction and info. on the build of the car.

Henry L., who built the car and I have texted and talked a few times and he plans to come and see the car in the Spring and is willing to help me out in any way he can with the car.

Below, please find the story about the car and the "build" of this one of a kind C Machine.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Well isn’t that a happy surprise! Congrats! Looking forward to its rebirth! Pictures when you can.

And here is more info as taken from Henry's eBay auction and the Doctor who bought it next eBay auction:

1966 CHRYSLER 300, FASTER THAN A HEMI CUDA, DODGE CHARGER OR GTX, DART AND CORONET

ULTIMATE MOPAR STREET MACHINE

I purchased this amazingly engineered and professionally built car last summer to be a drive train donor for another project but after driving the car lost any interest in cutting it up. The car came with over $25,000 in receipts down to nuts and bolts not including labor. I have put about 3000 miles on the car since purchase. The builder checks in on the car every couple of months to see how it's doing. I'm selling this car for what has been invested into the motor alone. The A and B bodies have become outrageously priced and this car will out handle and outperform any of them. This car is very drivable and will idle in traffic on a 90 degree day without overheating. Drivetrain has approx. 5k miles since build and has not been raced since original testing by builder.

Change of life forces sale.

Good Luck

Dr. Moore

The following is the builder, Henry Lugg's original build description.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION:

You are looking at THE FASTEST and BEST HANDLING 1966 Chrysler 300 in the world, bar none. Think I'm joking? Well, I invite you to read on, and decide for yourself.

INTRODUCTION:

I thought it would be cool to have a unusual car that could blow the doors off almost anything else on the road. A car that would really spin onlookers on their heels, give passengers the willy-nillies, and bring giggles of delight to the driver. Well, this 300 delivers and is the manifestation of that idea. This '66 300 has a full race 493 cid engine, 727 automatic with overdrive, Dana 60 rear end, and road race suspension with four wheel disk brakes. Despite the fact the 300 weighs 4544 lbs, she has a best 1/4 mile of 12.2 seconds at 114 mph, with a 60 ft. time of 1.94 seconds, on street tires! If slicks were used, the time would drop into the high 11's. Top speed (calculated at 6500 rpm) is 180 mph. Corrected power and torque numbers at the rear wheels are 497 hp at 5800 rpm, with 500 ft./lbs torque at 4800 rpm. This 300 was just featured in the June '06 issue of Mopar Action. All the work done on the car was just completed last year, and everything described below is NEW, with less than a 1000 miles since completion.

RAW MATERIAL:

I purchased this grand old lady from the original owners in California. The 300 spent its whole life (until 2000) in the Sacramento area. She comes with original window sticker, certicard, original maintenance records, build sheet, and original black CA plates. Even the original sales order! When purchased new she had a 330hp TNT 383, automatic, power steering and power drum brakes, AM radio, A/C, with Spanish red exterior and interior, pretty much a plain-Jane 300. It was well cared for during her life, always garaged, with only one mishap when the passenger side door was scraped backing out of the garage. Hence the passenger side door and rear quarter were repainted. Other than that, she has all original paint, and with the original vinyl top. The chassis has 122,390 miles currently, and there is no rust on the body. Period.

THE ENGINE:

The only original parts on the engine are the block, thermostat housing and a few bolts. Everything else is new, literally. This engine was designed and built by myself and Jerry Porter of P&P Machine, a Hemi dragster racer of many years. It's a 1974 Imperial thick deck 440 block, bored .030", filled 1/2 way up with Moroso block filler. Billet steel main caps were added, anchored by ARP studs. Block preparation included all the oil passages smoothed, all flashing ground off, crank clearancing, valve reliefs in the deck and a Hemi oil pickup. An Eagle 4.15" stroke crank is used with a set of .200" over Manley H-beam rods, total length 6.965", giving a near perfect 1.68 rod/stroke ratio. The Manley rods come with ARP wave-loc bolts. The pistons are custom Ross forgings with an 11.8cc dish. The Ferrea wrist pins are tapered, light weight, .990" diameter, full floating.

The tops of the pistons have been polished to a mirror finish (lowers heat transfer to the piston). Installed height is .002" down from the deck. Rod and main bearings are Clevite 77 P-Series with the main and rod clearances set at .003" and .0025" respectively. Piston rings are Speed-Pro Plasma-Moly top ring and stainless oil ring with Childs & Albert ZGS gapless second rings.

The block is fitted with a Moroso windage tray and a modified stock oil pan, enlarged to 7 quarts, with baffling. The cylinder heads are Edelbrock RPM's with Hughes Engines Stage III porting. This includes replacing the intake valve with 2.19" diameter ones for added flow. Flow at .700" lift and 28" water is 320cfm for the intake, and 245cfm for the exhaust. The heads were also milled to bring the chamber volume down to 76 cc's. The combustion chambers were fully polished to a mirror finish like the pistons.

With the Fel-Pro head gaskets, the combustion chambers have a nice .041" quench area to promote turbulence and reduce the risk of detonation. The static compression ratio is 11.3:1, a compression test produces about 210 psi, and the engine runs great on 93 octane unleaded premium. The cam is a custom Ultra dyne solid roller with 257/265 deg. at .050 and .668"/.668" gross lift with 109 deg. lobe centers installed 4 deg. advanced. The cam is spun by a Milodon gear drive, and a Melling high volume oil pump uses a Mopar hardened shaft with a bronze gear.

The valve train uses Comp Cams Pacaloy springs with titanium retainers and lash caps. Harland-Sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers with Comp Cams .080 wall chrome-moly custom pushrods. The roller lifters are custom Crower units with the large axle and oil provided to the needle bearings. There is also a Mopar aluminum water pump housing and Moroso aluminum water pump with a Mr. Gasket balanced thermostat.

A Holley 950 HP is used with an Edelbrock Victor intake. Fuel is fed to the carb by a 150 gph Carter mechanical pump. The intake has been port matched and the Holley has been reworked and dyno tuned. An MSD billet distributor with a MSD 6AL CD box provides the ignition through Moroso 11mm wires. Timing is set at 12 deg. initial with 34 deg. total advance. Hooker Super Competition headers feed into a full mandrel bent 3" exhaust with Excelerator (magnaflow look-alike) mufflers, and stainless 3-1/2" tips.

DRIVETRAIN:

The 1969 727 torqueflight uses stock components except for the following. A Hemi cast iron intermediate band, 4.2 ratio 2nd gear band lever, billet 6061 T-6 aluminum low/reverse piston and heavy duty spring (enhances 1-2 shift), accumulator blocker is installed (firmer shifts), and an A&A Transmission race manual reverse pattern valve body with low-band apply (provides first gear braking and extra sprag protection).

The torque converter is a custom Hughes 11" 3000 stall with forged stator, heavy duty roller bearings and sprag, and furnace brazed fins. This is a high efficiency converter and has reduced slippage at cruise rpm. The transmission also has a Gear Vendors overdrive attached which can be shifted in between the regular 3 transmission gears, effectively creating a 6 speed automatic.

A custom 3-1/2" diameter steel driveshaft uses Spicer 1350 U-joints. The rear end is a Dana 60 with 3.54 gears, a Powr-Lok limited slip, and Dutchman 35 spline forged axles with screw in studs.

SUSPENSION:

Front: Lower control arms are boxed, custom 1-1/4" roll bar from Quickor Suspension, custom 1-1/4" torsion bars from Firm Feel, all new bushings, ball joints, and tie-rod ends from Rare Parts, Proshocks adjustable shocks, higher compression strut rod bushings, 1973 11-3/4" Chrysler disks with stock calipers and braided steel lines.

Rear: Custom leaf springs from National Spring with double wrapped front eye, 9 leaves front/7 rear, poly bushings, Addco 3/4" roll bar, Proshocks adjustable shocks, front leaf spring mount moved inboard 7/8" (for tire clearance), Street Rod Manufacturing rear disk brake kit (maintains the emergency brake) with Lincoln 11" rotors and Eldorado calipers and braided steel lines.

The brakes use a 4-wheel disk master cylinder and proportioning valve from MP Brakes. All the brake pads are semi-metallic with low fade characteristics. The suspension is tuned to be neutral in the turns with power on.

The tires are BFG Radials, 265/50R-16 in the front, and 295/50R16 in the rear. The rims are custom steel rallies, 9" wide in the front, 10" rear, with stainless steel trim rings and center caps made from original 300 spinner hubcaps.

OTHER MODIFICATIONS:

A custom 4 core, high tube density radiator by US Radiator, 1964 Imperial gas tank, and 3/8" fuel line throughout, including into the tank. A trunk mounted 1000 ah battery with Moroso battery cutoff switch. High torque mini starter. A handmade gauge cluster with a modified A-body console base. Autometer gauges include tachometer, oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp, water temp, volts and trans temp. A B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter changes the gears. A handmade custom cowl induction provides fresh air to the engine. The steering has been converted to manual, and the brake pedal ratio is modified from 3:1 to 6:1 so no power booster is needed. Modified Lakewood traction bars.

OTHER COMMENTS:

The car looks great, but up close the discerning eye, a few dings, scratches and chips can be seen. Overall she's in fantastic shape for a 40 year old car! The driver’s seat base has some tearing and could use a new cover. This vehicle is not for the faint of heart. The steering is heavy in a parking lot but fine out on the road with good road feel. The brakes work excellently but require significant pedal effort to lock all four tires. Acceleration in the 300 is blindingly fast and she sticks to the road like peanut butter in the turns.

AS IS NO WARRANTY

This vehicle is being sold as is, where is with no warranty, expressed written or implied. Descriptions are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle, and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgment solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back