Fuel/brake lines

polarus

Reaction score
The original fuel and brake lines appear to be in good shape, from the outside. What do you guys use to clean out the inside?

What does the brake fluid look like in the booster? If it's clear it's ok but if it's foggy you should flush out. If in doubt, swap it out. Don't be cheap when it comes to brakes. Get a see through inline gas filter and monitor how the fuel looks and you'll be ok.

I flushed out the brake and fuel lines with carb cleaner then hit them with the air gun. This car sat for a number of years with old fuel and brake fluid in the lines. Clear fuel filter is worth a try, a little extra insurance, I've replaced everything in the brake system except the hard lines.

If she's sat along time, as most have, get yourself a gallon of M.E.K. Tape a rag over one end of Brake Line and plug. Pour M.E.K. in line, let set for an hour. Use compressed air to blow down line. Check rag repeat until clean. Oh and change you hoses too! They deteriorate from the inside and will Swell or Balloon a bit when the Brake is applied suddenly.

Like everybody else iz saying, compressed air. I take it a step farther. Blow it out after disconnecting both endz of the line, squirt ah couple secondz blast of BRAKE CLEAN into the line and blow it out again. That stuff haz a permanent home on the shelf in my playpen, Jer

What does the brake fluid look like in the booster? If it's clear it's ok but if it's foggy you should flush out. If in doubt, swap it out. Don't be cheap when it comes to brakes. Get a see through inline gas filter and monitor how the fuel looks and you'll be ok.

If you have brake fluid in the BOOSTER ....... You have a problem...:poke:

I would not use the see through filters.... They are either glass, which can brake, or plastic, which can melt. Either way gas will spill over your hot engine. (If it can happen, it will happen). A fram G15 metal can filter, or equivalent is a good choice

Yep you're right Will, luck of the Irish is on my side.

If you have brake fluid in the BOOSTER ....... You have a problem...:poke:

I would not use the see through filters.... They are either glass, which can brake, or plastic, which can melt. Either way gas will spill over your hot engine. (If it can happen, it will happen). A fram G15 metal can filter, or equivalent is a good choice

Oops I meant master cylinder. Stupid PBR

Nah every carburated car I ever had I put a glass inline a few inches before the carb and never had a problem. Just as long as it's not laying against anything hot. Just to monitor the tank, lines etc

Back