Full dual exhaust system

Mr Grumpy

Reaction score
Well it's time to spend a little money (emphasis on little) on the old girl, I fabbed a "Bitsa" exhaust for the Fury last year using a welded up Y pipe, a Thrush glasspack, and various bends, pipes and clamps, to create a single line that exits just in front of the right rear wheel, it works but it's pleasing to neither eye nor ear.
So I'm looking for a complete system from the original Poly cast iron manifolds back.
I looked at tti with the idea of headers, but no point in that unless I'm doing the intake and a 4 barrel, and to be perfectly honest, the car's not worth it.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced system anywhere? preferably in 2.5",
Alternatively has anyone adapted a system from something more current (and consequently cheaply available from the breakers)
All suggestions gratefully received.

I got mine from Accurate Exhaust. I know they're not "carrying" C-body stuff anymore, but if you wanted a system bent up, money is money. Seems like they'd do it. After having glasspacks originally on my car and it sounding ridiculous, I got some OEM Hemi-style mufflers. Car sounds great.

Do you have a good, local exhaust shop? I'd go there. That's how I got mine.
IMG_2260.JPG

So why not 2.5" ?
If you have an opinion spit it out, that's what I'm asking for, but please don't give me the "I know better but I'm not telling" attitude.

That's not TBM's style, so I think you're reading more attitude than is really there.

The issue is likely to be that a 2.5" will flow more than you need, so the increased cost, difficulty of routing and weight won't have any payoff in performance.

I was going to recommend Accurate Exhaust, I'm far was hoping to get a system for my car, but had forgot they don't carry anything now. I have a complete setup from tti, and I like it, but they are pricey.

2 1/4 is more than enough for a stock engine. Better back pressure, it'll look better. I'm not smart enough to use the engineer terms

2 1/4 is more than enough for a stock engine. Better back pressure, it'll look better. I'm not smart enough to use the engineer terms
2.25" pipe is easier to bend in the over-the-axle bends. 2" is too small, 2.5" is larger than needed.

Quality of the work at local muffler shops varies greatly, by observation. Just make sure it's all done in "factory configuration" and not "easiest way to do it". Use factory-style hangers, too, as some the shop might make just don't seem substantial enough to me, by observation.

When I could get them, I liked to use Walker Exhaust pipes, or similar, as it was something I could do myself in the driveway, with the car securely on jackstands. I used good quality clamps, too! I'm still oriented in that direction, just not as nimble to get up and down like I was back then.

CBODY67

But he wants to know why 2 1/4 over another size. Hell they could bend 3s without issue.

I'm always ready to learn, if 2.5 isn't as good as 2.25 for the purpose, I want to hear why, so I can make an informed decision.
I'm a truck driver I see vehicles with oversize exhausts every day, a lot of it is about style rather than efficiency.

The smaller exhaust will have more back pressure which will help the engine, too little pressure works against the engine. Example, I had a 360 in a van went like hell with a Y pipe. Put same engine in my Dart with only headers and had valves floating over 3,000 rpm. It wanted the back pressure. Sold it and have to talk to the new owner and see how it is back in it's stock exhaust configuration.

Last edited:
I also recommend checking out local muffler shops that do custom work. Like anything else you would spend money on, do some research first. Ask any other old car guys in your area who did their work. Check out a shop for yourself & talk to the owner. Be specific in telling him what you want. Referrals from satisfied customers are often a good indicator of a reputable shop. 2 1/4 inch pipe is what you want to use. I have it on my 383. Breathes right & sounds great.

My thoughts don't come from scientific or an engineering background. Just that if my 440 from the factory was fine with 2-1/4 single exhaust than it seems to me that a 318 would be fine with 2-1/4, regardless of single or dual exhaust. Also, I'm a tight wad so the bigger exhaust is going to cost you more. When I did mine I could've went with stainless, but since it isn't going to see use in the winter months I got aluminized. Did I make a compromise yes. I don't think it was a bad compromise though.

4 stroke engines dont need exhaust back pressure, they need velocity.
Goddamit we should be able to stack agree checks.
I went on a rant about this in another thread, Jeff /Cantflip and I broke this all down. All you guys with the love of exhaust manifolds have plenty of "back pressure". 2.5" is probably overkill for a 318 poly or LA, owners choice.

Goddamit we should be able to stack agree checks.
I went on a rant about this in another thread, Jeff /Cantflip and I broke this all down. All you guys with the love of exhaust manifolds have plenty of "back pressure". 2.5" is probably overkill for a 318 poly or LA, owners choice.
I'm no expert, so can you provide the link? (Awesome search feature could kill me) All i know is that engine didn't like the open headers, but was awesome with an exhaust system behind it.

Back