WANTED Fury torsion bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fury Fan..

Ahh! There's the confusion! I never thought about swapping subframes, I was only thinking about taking the control arms, spindles, strut rods, etc. with me to the next car in case it had drums, or blown out parts like mine does right now.. I also didn't know that 44" would swap into 47".. Seems silly.

Another nugget I just remembered -
The polygraphite strut rod bushings for a B-body will fit a C-body with slight mods. I don't remember what they were (it was probably 10 years ago that I did it) but it was fairly simple and DIY, seems like they had to be thinned on a belt sander or something?

Here is a pic pf the bars still in place on the frame, I measured their diameter too which appears to be a tad over 1in. Check the pic to see. If you are interested in them I can sell them for $50 plus shipping.
383 torsion bars.jpg
383 torsion bars1.jpg

FYI everybody - you really need a vernier or micrometer to identify T-bars, IIRC the diameters are in .02" increments. Also, I believe .98" is the biggest bar diameter, at least in the 44" size. Or use the 3 digits formed into the rear end of the bar.

Swaybars can be ID'd with an open-end wrench (they are generally in 1/16" increments) but T-bars need a little more precision. Could use a wrench and feeler gages, I suppose.

But those are probably the bars Moffit is looking for, and that pic shows the short rear socket of a 44" bar.

Wolfen - that looks like a Slab subframe (based on the trans mount), does it have a front swaybar? I believe that cars without front swaybar got the biggest T-bars - my car did at least. Just looking for a data point...

Fury Fan, I was using digital calipers on mine.. And according to this website, some 74 cars came with bigger than .98. Content / Tech Articles / Torsion Bar Specs - C-Body DryDock Pardon the competition.. What I don't know is why Wollfen's would have 1 or bigger in a 70 Fury.. Unless there was some dirt in the way, or the measurement didn't transfer well.. No matter, they're bigger than .94. So long as they're nick free, I'll be happy with them.

Thanks for sharing that link, I googled for something to check my memory on the .98 being the largest, but Drydock didn't come up.

I do remember seeing those big-dia 74-up bars listed in Govier's codebooks, I tried years ago to find some for my 68 Fury but had no luck, so bought 1.12" from FF when I rebuilt the front susp and swapped to discs.

Might try looking again for my 300L, I like FF stuff but like you I'm not made of money and that car's more low-budget to me. Plus the 65 Chrysler has a goofy isolated rear T-bar crossmember that would be good to get rid of. Actually a set of .98" 44" bars would be an improvement!

FYI everybody - you really need a vernier or micrometer to identify T-bars, IIRC the diameters are in .02" increments. Also, I believe .98" is the biggest bar diameter, at least in the 44" size. Or use the 3 digits formed into the rear end of the bar.

Swaybars can be ID'd with an open-end wrench (they are generally in 1/16" increments) but T-bars need a little more precision. Could use a wrench and feeler gages, I suppose.

But those are probably the bars Moffit is looking for, and that pic shows the short rear socket of a 44" bar.

Wolfen - that looks like a Slab subframe (based on the trans mount), does it have a front swaybar? I believe that cars without front swaybar got the biggest T-bars - my car did at least. Just looking for a data point...
The frame is out of a 1970 Fury Convertible factory 383 car and I am actually going to put 360 small block bars back into it. They are definitely thinner than these. I measured at a clean spot on the bars and set the calipers so that the "drag" slightly over the widest point.

Thanks for the tip. I've got 4 B body sway bars I need to ID if they are from 383 or 440 cars.

I think they are 1 of each for each year group 68/9 and 70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back