gas smell

with new cap on and both vent lines open I still get pressure in the tank???

Kelly:

One other item you should check is the solder joints at the base of the vent tubes on the back of the tank. My new tank (probably the same as yours) had a bad solder joint, and it leaked a small amount right at the base of the tube - especially when the tank was full. To check for this, park the car on an incline with nose down and a full tank. If the vent tube is leaking, there will be a spot on the ground / street that you can plainly see.

I fixed my leak with some JB weld and some epoxy. . . No more smelly gas fumes. . .

Rip

blew air though vent lines and into tank. there are two other holes coming out of tank that are capped. I assumed they were maybe for fuel return if needed??? Its a quanta tank. Were the oe gas caps vented??? Drove it yesterday, sat in the shade when I parked for 30 min, got home 1/4 tank gone and still had pressure in tank when I unscrewed the cap.
I believe OE was non-vented.

Later gas tanks had 4 vents that went to a distribution block/assembly in the rear axle area of the body just in front of the gas tank. From there, the accumulated gas fumes went through a single line to a charcoal canister at the right front fender wheel wheel. Another line went from the canister to the top of the carb so ported vacuum could draw the gas fumes into the air fuel mixture.

My 1970 Fury has 2 vents, but the original gas tank. It has no issues with pressure. I also used JB Weld at the 2-vents to stop a small leak. I can't speak to the quality of Quanta.

As an experiment, you could remove the caps from the other 2 vents and see if pressure is still present after a drive.

I had this problem on my 65 Newport and never figured it out.. I had replaced everything but the tank. Gas cap, filller oring, trunk gasket was tested (ok), checked tail light housings, fuel hoses, vents blah blah blah..Then a few months ago, I was cleaning out the trunk and the sun was hitting the car just right. I saw the shadow of the speaker grill on one side but not the other. The filler panel had fallen out and was down behind the back seat. I retrieved it and tidied it up to fill the hole (I do not have speakers there). It worked. No more smell. The trick is to stop the air flow and you will be good. If you do have speakers perhaps they can be covered with caps of some sort? Hope this helps, gasoline smell can kill a ride quick.

I believe OE was non-vented.

Later gas tanks had 4 vents that went to a distribution block/assembly in the rear axle area of the body just in front of the gas tank. From there, the accumulated gas fumes went through a single line to a charcoal canister at the right front fender wheel wheel. Another line went from the canister to the top of the carb so ported vacuum could draw the gas fumes into the air fuel mixture.

My 1970 Fury has 2 vents, but the original gas tank. It has no issues with pressure. I also used JB Weld at the 2-vents to stop a small leak. I can't speak to the quality of Quanta.

As an experiment, you could remove the caps from the other 2 vents and see if pressure is still present after a drive.
those 2 vents were covered from the factory and they went bad. It was leaking gas on the ground from them. Put new covers on them an still have the smell outside the car and pressure in the tank

I had this problem on my 65 Newport and never figured it out.. I had replaced everything but the tank. Gas cap, filller oring, trunk gasket was tested (ok), checked tail light housings, fuel hoses, vents blah blah blah..Then a few months ago, I was cleaning out the trunk and the sun was hitting the car just right. I saw the shadow of the speaker grill on one side but not the other. The filler panel had fallen out and was down behind the back seat. I retrieved it and tidied it up to fill the hole (I do not have speakers there). It worked. No more smell. The trick is to stop the air flow and you will be good. If you do have speakers perhaps they can be covered with caps of some sort? Hope this helps, gasoline smell can kill a ride quick.
the smell has always been outside or under hood. got under hood smell taken care of. rest is outside car when its parked

Kelly,

FWIW I thought mine was outside as well. It was a pain to track down. Just trying to give you ideas here. It's a sucky problem to have and potentially dangerous.. Good luck

the smell has always been outside or under hood. got under hood smell taken care of. rest is outside car when its parked
I had a leak around the ports for the vents in my tank. Both ports are attached to a block that can move side to side when it gets loose. Leakage around the block created a smell.
Before
PXL_20201101_190210089 air vent.jpg

PXL_20201101_190245129 air vent.jpg

JB Weld to stop side to side movement of port block and stop leak.
PXL_20201104_162943396 tw av.jpg

Ugly, but it worked. No more gas smell and no more leak.
Will not alleviate the pressure however. Maybe try a vented gas cap.

Back