Get your Hankook Optimo H724 WW tires while you can!

I couldn't find any thin whitewalls through Coker. They peddle American Classics which have a 1.6" WW for 235-75-15 size...costly too at about $150 + per unit. . I ran those for 4.5 years but they always cracked prematurely, so I changed brands....
Diamondback can make a custom tire with the thin WW for about $250 + a piece... On the Diamondback II line, they start with a Toyo Extensa and
apply the sidewall per your request. When I found out that DB uses Toyos, and that that they already come with a WW, it was a no brainer.

UTQG Comparison...(treadwear, traction, temperature)
Cooper Trendsetter SE 440 AB
Hankoook Optimo 500 AB
American Classic 540 BB
Toyo Extensa A/S 620 AB
Thank you for that info!!

(...) my local tire shop (...) avoids selling Hankook tires anymore because he has had so many of them come in...OLD! Meaning their date of manufacture was 4-5 and even 6 years ago. (...) Oh, and he gets his tires from the local distribution hub for the DC/Baltimore area.

The five Hankooks that I bought three weeks ago were manufactured in the 46th week of 2018. So, they were 6 months old. Not right off the line, but still fresh. I don’t know which warehouse shipped them to the local Discount Tire in Rockford, but I am satisfied.

On a side note, I find it interesting that these supposedly discontinued tires are still being manufactured....

These tires were discontinued last year, to be replaced by a different tire (Kinergy ST). AFAIK this new tire is made in Tennessee but, unfortunately, does not come with white walls.

While the Hankook Optimo H724 that I have bought for several fusies is now out of stock in my area, the good news is that the Kinergy ST is now available in WW. For some reason Discount Tires does not carry it, but the Tire Rack does in the 235/75R15 size that I want for Regina, my FQ3 turquoise 1970 Polara 'vert. I just ordered four from from TR (site photo below): they will be installed later this week on road wheels that I bought with @PH27L7's help last year and that @71Polara383 refurbished over the winter.
hk_kinergy_st_ww_full.jpg

Last edited:
While the Hankook Optimo H724 that I have bought for several fusies are now out of stock, the good news is that the Kinergy ST is now available in WW. For some reason Discount Tires does not carry it, but the Tire Rack does in the 235/75R15 size that I want for Regina, my FQ3 turquoise 1970 Polara 'vert. I just ordered four from (generic TR photo below): they will be installed later this week on road wheels that I bought with @PH27L7's help last year and that @71Polara383 refurbished over the winter.
View attachment 446208
If you could measure the width of the whitewall and post a few pics when you get them I would be most appreciative.

There's no need to panic. Googling has shown me there are more 235/75-15 brands now than there was ten years ago.
Only 3 examples out of at least dozen I found.
Screenshot_20210315_145945.jpg
Screenshot_20210315_150032.jpg
Screenshot_20210315_145903.jpg

There's no need to panic. Googling has shown me there are more 235/75-15 brands now than there was ten years ago.
Only 3 examples out of at least dozen I found.
The question is how good those tires are. The Hankook H724 is very comfortable and handles decently on dry roads, but is not great on wet (no idea how it performs on snow). I would prefer a Michelin, but that boat has sailed.

The question is how good those tires are. The Hankook H724 is very comfortable and handles decently on dry roads, but is not great on wet (no idea how it performs on snow). I would prefer a Michelin, but that boat has sailed.
In a way, so what? How many miles are you really going to drive your car, regardless of the tire? I've had my Newport since 2003. It had 61,000 miles on it; now it has 102,000. 41,000 miles in 18 years, and I drive mine more than most people do.

Who drives their old cars in wet weather?

In a way, so what? How many miles are you really going to drive your car, regardless of the tire? I've had my Newport since 2003. It had 61,000 miles on it; now it has 102,000. 41,000 miles in 18 years, and I drive mine more than most people do.

Keep your tires beyond 6 years at your own risk, may I respectfully suggest. Some will say up to 10 years is OK, depending on how the car is driven and stored, but to me that is a risk I am not willing to take. Regardless -- 17 years? No, thank you.

PS: Maybe you never get caught in a surprise storm in CA, but I have been caught twice by a storm out of the blue. Safety under those conditions does matter, at least to me.

Last edited:
Keep your tires beyond 6 years at your own risk, may I respectfully suggest. Some will say up to 10 years is OK, depending on how the car is driven and stored. Regardless -- 17 years? No, thank you.

PS: Maybe you never get caught in a surprise storm in CA, but I have gotten caught twice out of the blue. Safety under those conditions does matter, at least to me.
Don't misunderstand my comment. I said I've had my car for 17 years and have put 40,000 miles on it, which is more than most people do. I didn't say I've only had one set of tires; I'm on my third.

I am saying that I don't think the quality of a tier matters that much for someone who drives less than 2,000 miles a year.

At my Discount Tire Company tire store in Southern California they are showing the same Hankook Optimo H724 white walls still available. I am also seeing a blackwall version of the Hankook Kinergy in the same size but with blackwalls being available from Discount Tire. I know that Hankook has a warehouse here in So. CA so I am thinking when those H724s run out, then Discount Tire will likely offer the Kinergy whitewall version going forward. I like the sidewall better on the Kinergy tire better than the H724 Optimos anyway and the name "Hankook" looks smaller too which I also prefer.

I have never had a problem with the Hankook Optimos over many years now (I even have them on my 1989 Dodge Dakota pickup that I can't kill yet at 180K miles) with the whitewalls turned inside and they still perform fine after many miles on them and no sidewall cracking either. I might have put Michelins on my Dakota because they are my preferred tire usually when I don't need a whitewall but over the last decade Michelins sidewalls start showing cracking out here in our high temperatures and dry climate in about a year.

I drive my car in any weather except snow(because of the salt). I don't go looking for bad weather but have been caught in the some real storms over the years. Prepare for the worst and anything less is easy. Tires must have good wet traction.

....snip.....Who drives their old cars in wet weather?

My NY is an all-weather vehicle. The Toyo's M+S rating give me confidence in the rain...and occasional snow during ski trips.

Switching to the subject of Cooper though, I heard that Goodyear acquired them. Makes me hope to see WW Goodyears coming around again....but probably not.

It used to be that the only two American tire companies were Goodyear and Cooper. Then Cooper was acquired by a company from India. Now it's back in the USA.

FWIW
CBODY67

I have issues installing Asian tires on my Heavy Imperial, Just Sayin'

Many of the same Aisian tire brands also build SUV/truck tires too. But I can understand your orientation.

ayilar was just on the Walmart web sight and Hankook 724H 235/75/15 tires are still available. More than 4 were available. I have 4 on my 300 the ride quality is very good in wet or dry conditions.

@garyh — the Kinergy ST line is manufactured in Tennessee, as noted in the first post in this thread. Just sayin’...

Hankook Tire Announces Expanded Kinergy Line For U.S. Production

ayilar was just on the Walmart web sight and Hankook 724H 235/75/15 tires are still available. More than 4 were available. I have 4 on my 300 the ride quality is very good in wet or dry conditions.

I have issues installing Asian tires on my Heavy Imperial, Just Sayin'

While you may have issues with a brand that is made in the the U.S. but by an Asian owned company, at least the Hankook Optimo 235-75-R15 has the extra load rating (108XL) that an Imperial would surely benefit from I would imagine. Do any U.S. owned companies make a 235-75-15 tire with the extra load rating?

I note that the newer Hankook Kinergy ST has the standard load rating 105T so that is a bit of a loss in load range rating from the Optimos.

I do also note, however, that the Kinergy PT excels in wet weather traction compared to the ST. Assuming these will be made in white walls in the future as well as the STs then the PTs also have a slightly higher load rating (109XL) than even the Optimos at 108XL.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/hankook-kinergy-pt-h737/p/39148

(Discount Tire Company and Americas Tire Company are the same company)

Last edited:
I just purchased 5 new 15” rims and 5 new Hankook st 235/75R-15 tires for the ‘67 Monaco.
World of difference!
(attached before and after photos)
Also found some decent driver quality 15” hubcaps on eBay.
9890FA61-6641-4176-9A53-FC46CD3C596F.jpeg

ED03B462-7AD3-41F8-A946-0B8E447C2C6D.jpeg

Be sure to re-check the speedometer speed and odometer calibrations. The indicated speed is probably less than actual velocity and similar with the odometer.

Thank for the pictures!
CBODY67

Back