Get your Hankook Optimo H724 WW tires while you can!

How would the person know? I always get my white letter tires mounted blackwalls out. When there is a choice on how to get tires mounted of course the person installing them is going to ask which way you'd like them installed. That is what is called common sense.

Dave
Not when the work order specifically states “WW out”.
The counter guy just shakes his head.

Not when the work order specifically states “WW out”.
The counter guy just shakes his head.

Again I don't see a problem with someone being thorough. I like when people ask questions. If I am paying to get work done I don't make fun of the people that are actually doing the work.
Some people like to treat other people rudely. You sound like a jerk treating other people that way.

Dave

Cooper Trendsetters (235 75 R15) 75.00 Each at NTB ,87.00 from Discount Tire.Whitewall,and Made in USA From An American Company.

I prefer tires with a high load rating for our heavy cars and a warranty tread life of 70K miles rather than 40K miles (i.e. they are likely to wear better over time and miles). I also like the handling qualities of the Hankooks and the controlled quiet ride and modern tread design (but I prefer the sidewall design of the Coopers).

Yes Cooper is owned by Goodyear but Goodyear also makes all their truck tires in China. How long before they do the same with their passenger car tires?

The reality is that the lowest cost manufacturing country will likely end up with the manufacturing business for all the major brands of tires just because a company has to make a profit and please its shareholders above all else. That is usually at the cost/well-being of the American assembly line worker. Even Michelin makes tires in China. It is just a giant sucking sound that won't go away. It seems the only way U.S. based companies can thrive is for them to be at the leading/cutting edge of technology with more skilled employees rather than using less skilled ones at a higher minimum wage than China.

The world is a very competitive place and money/profits rule.

That is what is called common sense.

Dave

Which is exactly why I look at them, as it is common sense, otherwise why even bother with WSW tires and pay more for them than BSW?

We'll see if asked this Sunday as Optimo H724 in WSW 235/75-15 have been ordered and paid for.

When I go to Discount Tire Company because they have competitive prices and good service, I usually see a bunch of very hard working younger guys getting the cars in and out under considerable pressure and doing very monotonous tire routines all day long, day after day, in open air workshops with no temperature control in either cool or very hot California ambients. So I try to treat them with as much consideration as I can - I wouldn't want to do their jobs. I don't expect them to know what a 50 year old vehicle should have on them and I don't mind telling them what I want just so they are sure - I in fact appreciate that they want to know for sure what I want. They are not just sitting at home on their cell phones all day long on Facebook looking at what all their friends are eating for lunch piling up "likes" while living off of mom and dad in climate controlled conditions but instead are actually going out and getting tough jobs these days.

I find a little kindness and consideration once in a while go a long way towards making this a better world. It really isn't hard at all......................and pays big dividends.

Pepboys has Starfire Solaris Classic 235/70/15, ww, made in China no doubt. Walmart shows the Toyo Extensa sold out. Fortunately I don't need tires right away.

Which is exactly why I look at them, as it is common sense, otherwise why even bother with WSW tires and pay more for them than BSW?

We'll see if asked this Sunday as Optimo H724 in WSW 235/75-15 have been ordered and paid for.

Cancelled the sale and have been refunded.

Cancelled the sale and have been refunded.
The Kinergy ST is the more modern replacement and is made here. I have yet to drive the set I recently bought but would not hesitate to recommend them based on my experience with the H724 and what I’ve read in numerous reviews of the ST. As @saforwardlook noted, the Optimo had a slightly greater weight loading capacity but so be it.

The only concern I have with all the WW currently on offer (not just the Hankook tires, which are better in the rain than most WW tires currently for sale) is wet traction. That should not be an issue in your case.

Last edited:
According to this 2021 Hankook Catalog they still offer some sizes of the Optimo H725, alas not with white sidewall.

As aylar wrote above, the Kinergy ST (a.k.a. the H735) seems to be the successor and it is offered with white sidewall in the following sizes:

185/75R-14 89T
195/75R-14 92T
205/75R-14 95T
215/75R-14 100T

205/75R-15 97T
215/75R-15 100T
225/75R-15 102T
235/75R-15 105T

So if you put on a 235/75-15 with its 105 load index each tire will be good for 2,039 lbs allowing a total vehicle weight of 8,156 lbs.

Based on my personal expierence with the Optimo H724 I would not hesitate to trust the Kinergy ST in the rain.

Last edited:
The Kinergy ST is the more modern replacement and is made here. I have yet to drive the set I recently bought but would not hesitate to recommend them based on my experience with the H724 and what I’ve read in numerous reviews of the ST. As @saforwardlook noted, the Optimo had a slightly greater weight loading capacity but so be it.

The only concern I have with all the WW currently on offer (not just the Hankook tires, which are better in the rain than most WW tires currently for sale) is wet traction. That should not be an issue in your case.
According to this 2021 Hankook Catalog they still offer some sizes of the Optimo H725, alas not with white sidewall.

As aylar wrote above, the Kinergy ST (a.k.a. the H735) seems to be the successor and it is offered with white sidewall in the following sizes:

185/75R-14 89T
195/75R-14 92T
205/75R-14 95T
215/75R-14 100T

205/75R-15 97T
215/75R-15 100T
225/75R-15 102T
235/75R-15 105T

So if you put on a 235/75-15 with its 105 load index each tire will be good for 2,039 lbs allowing a total vehicle weight of 8,156 lbs.

Based on my personal expierence with the Optimo H724 I would not hesitate to trust the Kinergy ST in the rain.

I just wanted to note again that IF the Kinergy PT tire gets produced with a white wall just like the Kinergy ST, then that tire would have a load rating higher than even the Optimo 724 tire at 109 rather than 108 and be superior in the wet weather than the Kinergy ST as its main feature but it would likely cost a little more as well but all worth it to me in terms of longevity, performance and wet weather.

I would also add that I like the high load capability because it makes for a more stout side wall that will help the vehicle corner/handle better and also not "squish" as much as the thinner side walls with every revolution and not cause detrioration and associated cracks as soon. It would just be a better tire IMO.

Last edited:
58E79097-CD61-41DD-830F-AAF1990E3884.jpeg

I got a set of 5 (updated the spare too) Optimo H724’s today from the Discount Tire by me. Ordered them on the 25th. I just had them mount and balance for me, did it in 2 trips. Did the 2 fronts and the spare first, then after picking them up and installing on car, I did the rears. Took longer than having them take them off and installing on the car but I’m pretty picky when it comes to other people working on it. Didn’t want to have to explain the process of removing and reinstalling the fender skirts. Went for a test drive afterwards and they ride really nice. The old ones I had put on the car in 2004 were Yokohama Avid Touring whitewalls, 235/70-15. The new ones are 235/75/15 so it sits about 1/2 inch higher than before. It looks less squatty now.

Here she is with the new skins...

P.S. Wheels are 15x7 Magnum 500’s that I bought in 2004 also.

Last edited:
View attachment 450046

I got a set of 5 (updated the spare too) Optimo H724’s today from the Discount Tire by me. Ordered them on the 25th. I just had them mount and balance for me, did it in 2 trips. Did the 2 fronts and the spare first, then after picking them up and installing on car, I did the rears. Took longer than having them take them off and installing on the car but I’m pretty picky when it comes to other people working on it. Didn’t want to have to explain the process of removing and reinstalling the fender skirts. Went for a test drive afterwards and they ride really nice. The old ones I had put on the car in 2004 were Yokohama Avid Touring whitewalls, 235/70-15. The new ones are 235/75/15 so it sits about 1/2 inch higher than before. It looks less squatty now.

Here she is with the new skins...

P.S. Wheels are 15x7 Magnum 500’s that I bought in 2004 also.

That is a great looking Chrysler and I like the stance very much. On my pre-71 models, I also take the tires in loose and have them mounted on the rims and do the rest myself. That way I don't have to worry about them dealing with left hand lug nuts.

I received a set of (Tire Rack) Kinergy ST 215/75x15 WSW tires for the Polara last week and just had them installed by a small place a 13 minute walk from me. then drove home and cleaned up the bluing on the whitewall, checked cold pressure which I set at 34 psi and went for a drive. My main issues is dry traction, decent handling, and a quiet tire. I had a set of Firestone FR380 from 2010. On a smooth boulevard or freeway the new tires rode smoothly and very quiet. Wouldn't be too bad on uneven surfaces if it weren't for that sound of pie tins hitting each other in the trunk area around the dutchman panel. Have yet to find what hits what back there. Overall I am happier with these tires vs the old Firestones that came off.

Looks like I chose the wrong time to look for tires. :( I'm trying to find 225/75R15 narrow whitewall for my convertible. I just called up my go-to local tire shop. They looked on the computer and said they show no stock of that size, even in BSW, at any of the supplier warehouses they deal with. They said that they show listings for WSW 235/75R15, but all out of stock.

They said that they show listings for WSW 235/75R15, but all out of stock.

There is something going on with the manufactures, and I can't get a straight answer as to what/why. I've been needing tires for my Jeep ( 35x12.50x15 or 33x12.50x15 ) for 9 months now. The 33" is a rather common size. I'm a little bit picky when it comes to tires, but I can't get BFG, Toyo, or MT in either of those two sizes. I've email BFG three times now and all they will say is "those tires are currently out of stock/on backorder and are not scheduled to be produced within the next six weeks".

Maybe someone here has some tire world info to share?

WalMart is where I got my 235R/75/15 H724 Optimo tires. I just checked and they do have 4 in stock. Here is a source you can use. I confirmed this just a few minutes ago.

Looks like I chose the wrong time to look for tires. :( I'm trying to find 225/75R15 narrow whitewall for my convertible. I just called up my go-to local tire shop. They looked on the computer and said they show no stock of that size, even in BSW, at any of the supplier warehouses they deal with. They said that they show listings for WSW 235/75R15, but all out of stock.

You can roll-your-own narrow whites like I did. Paid about $125 a tire 3 months ago for these Coopers.

IMG_20210607_1230385~2.jpg

Back