GJS's 1967 Dodge Monaco 500: Beverly

It blows me away that they ran the harness over this sheet metal bracket like this. It seems like a pretty sharp edge that would have done some cutting over time but I guess not because mine is run the same way and is 50 years and over 150K in and is still fine.

IMG_2605.PNG

Yea that spooked me too, but again, of all the stuff that does work on this car after 100k and 50 yrs, the AC is one. I'd at least have had it epoxy coated!

On the subject of splash guards, if any of you all know where I could get a set of repops, let me know. Otherwise I'm gonna get all creative and such.
IMG_2451.JPG

Murray Park probably has dozens of sets.

Update from yesterday's tear down.

Goodness is:
Cooling system drained. Coolant was remarkably clean. No massive scale detected anywhere in the system, tho the heater core remains (and will for the time being) tucked away awaiting catastrophic failure. Rad is straight and clean, no leaks detected.
Alternator tests out just fine, PS pump seems tight though that leaves a leak elsewhere that I've yet to find, AC Compressor turns anyway, not going too far into that right now. Rockers are free, rods all seem straight, no stickiness in the valves.

Ugliness is:
Water pump is a little growly so that will get replaced. Carb is gummy as all get out so she's getting a rebuild.
I did all this because I wanted to preemptively get at the timing chain but as I tore in it's clear that the car is a vacuum nightmare. I didn't find a single hose that wasn't toast... all that's gonna get done over.
I'm pretty sure the heat riser in the pass. exhaust manifold is frozen shut. .. god knows how long this has been the case .. we'll see what I do about that.
The wiring is iffy to say the least. It's there, it's dried out and cracking. Something I really don't want to take chances with but need to take a little time and plan. One weird one: a gray wire with a clip on the end of it that was run underneath the pass. side valve cover gasket.. obviously connected to nothing. I'll have to figure what that was supposed to be.
As stated earlier, the oil pan is mushed. I've yet to drain it but thats next and I'll yank the pan and either straighten it or get a replacement.
Fuel pump looks original issue and warranting replacement BUT at some point a filter was added before the pump .... Thinking it might be best to let it ride a little longer until I've had time to check the rest of the system and figure out why that filter was added.

Anyway, thats a pretty good list for just the motor. Hopefully I can have her purring before May as I've got a whole other ball o wax to deal with in the front end!

cheese and rice...I have practically every pan but the 187.

933, 971, 402... :BangHead:

Sorry my man.
Thanks for looking, man! I'm pretty sure it's a 187, if I crawl under her and find out I'm mistaken, I'll let you know!
At any rate if push comes to shove, a stout piece of 4x4 with eased corners and a rubber mallet may easily cure her ills till better arrangements can be made.

Thanks for looking, man! I'm pretty sure it's a 187, if I crawl under her and find out I'm mistaken, I'll let you know!
At any rate if push comes to shove, a stout piece of 4x4 with eased corners and a rubber mallet may easily cure her ills till better arrangements can be made.

cool man, good luck!!

Don't be afraid to use metal hammer and dolly, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to shrink metal back into place rather than stretch it further the other way.
Also don't forget to check the length of your fuel pump pushrods while you're in there.
IMG_2608.JPG

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to use metal hammer and dolly, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to shrink metal back into place rather than stretch it further the other way.
Also don't forget to check the length of your fuel pump pushrods while you're in there.
View attachment 122057
Thanks Matt! I'll give it a shot. I've been meaning to work a bit more with metal lately and this is likely a great excuse to start.

The fuel pump and pushrod will be replaced anyway as I'm pretty sure the rod is original and the pump is certainly older than dirt. Oil pump I'm not sure yet but will yank and inspect while she's apart... I figure if I'm dropping the pan, replacing the pick-up, might as well go all the way and make sure the oiling system is top notch.

Hey, I got one;
Having never pulled a harmonic balancer off an engine still in a vehicle, any of you got tips for stopping rotation of the engine while trying to loosen the bolt? Haha. Dug my own grave on that one.

Impact wrench the best but if you still have the radiator in you may not have room. Other option is get two longer bolts (grade 8) and screw into your pully bolt holes. Then use a long pry bar to hold the engine from turning. (The bolts in the photo are for demo purposes only. They are too long and will bend or break)
image.jpg

There is also two holes in the balancer. The ultimate would be a spanner wrench with two pegs that match the balancer holes, but that's probably impractical.
image.jpg

Back