Got a few questions

64gmc

Reaction score
Ok this weekend I roll the 66 parts car on to my drive way. Got the front tore off the 65 and 66. Switched doors from 66 to 65. Got them aligned on the 65 they open and shut beautifully. Got to looking at both sub (stub) frames and realized the 65 was hit hard once and was repaired but will need some more repair work (welding and smoothing). So are the sub frames the same from both years? 65 is 383, 66 is 318 poly. So I know motor mount are different. The frame on the 65 is not out of wack to bad but would you guys switch them if it was you? And is the poly worth any thing? It turns by socket and break over bar. I have a guy that wants it he offered $175. Before we knew it would turn over.

So a recap.
Are the frames the same?
would you switch them if it was you?
Is that a good price for the poly?

One other question. Apparently we do not have the 4speed tranny that was in the car. Her dad doesn't remember where it is. So what tranny am I looking for? Is it the A833 new process? And if so what do I need to find it out of?

I don't know about the trans but the front subframes are the same. The mounts ( that bolts to the block are different) but the one's on the frame are the same. Honestly for not knowing how good it runs if it does at all I would call that a very fair price for the poly. It could be worth more or less depending on how it is inside but you would have to spend time and money to figure that out. If he is good with that price I would tell him to come get it if it was me. Oh and it looks like we are on for the parts trade so I will get with you in about a week and a half just before we start heading up that way and I will get your address and all from you. Thanks again and look forward to meeting you!

You need any A833 out of any Mopar up to the time they converted them to a 3 speed + overdrive.
Just make sure the the case has the shifter mount location closest to the case, not at the end of the tail shaft.
There are two input splines. 18 teeth (aka Hemi) and all the rest (23). You won't find an 18 spline unless you are very, very rich. You don't need it anyway.
There are different diameters on the input bearing retainer that you will have to make sure is correct for you bell housing. Or vise-versa.
Up to 65, the trannies used a "trunion" output shaft. All the output shafts after that were slip yoke.

My 2 cents: These trannies are up there in age. I'm scared of used units off of CL.
The absolute safest bet is to buy a rebuilt unit from Brewers. Last I recall they were a thousand bucks. But you know none of the synchros are toast.

Or do you know how to rebuild a 4 speed....

Bell housing, clutch/pressure plate, tranny, Hurst Comp Plus $hifter...
I bet you're looking at 2 grand.

The mounts position for the Poly engine are diiferent for the 65 stub as compared to the 66 stub.

The STUB from the 66 will bolt directly into the 65 which actually give you more engine options for the future.

You just have to be aware of the brackets you will need inorder to bolt the engine in..

the transmission mounts are very different is size and shape for the auttmatics but not sure about the manual Trannys'..

The Poly is priced to sell since you don't know the internal condition of the engine. Almost core pricing

If I needed a spare for parts, I would scoop it up at that price in a heart beat.

Good luck with the swap out.

The 23 spline A833 is the one you need. With a B or C body tail shaft. The E body units mounted the shifter in a different location. A rebuild, as Stan suggusted, would be the wise choice.

Poly 318's were a great engine but under appreciated and in low demand. I think $175.00 would be about the going rate for a core engine.

Why not squirt a little lube into the cylinders,run a hose up to a gas can and try cranking that poly up? Since you plan on selling it why not see if you can fire her up? I'd place it on a firm stand,connect 12V to the dist,check your oil level,connect a garden hose to the cooling system and see if you can get her to run. You might be surprised what some of these things can do after sitting around for years and years.Most of these old engines were built pretty tough.You may be able to get more money for it if it runs.Always a good selling point!

Is there any chance you can post pics of the two different sub frames? Particularly interested in what the engine mounting points look like on the 66 sub frame.

One other question. Apparently we do not have the 4speed tranny that was in the car. Her dad doesn't remember where it is. So what tranny am I looking for? Is it the A833 new process? And if so what do I need to find it out of?
Just a FYI. There will be a mopar car show and swap meet in Olathe this weekend. Don't know where in Kansas you are but it might be helpful for you to go and see what you can find. We are going. Due to stupidity, we wont be staying long. (Don't ask)

You need any A833 out of any Mopar up to the time they converted them to a 3 speed + overdrive.
Just make sure the the case has the shifter mount location closest to the case, not at the end of the tail shaft.
There are two input splines. 18 teeth (aka Hemi) and all the rest (23). You won't find an 18 spline unless you are very, very rich. You don't need it anyway.
There are different diameters on the input bearing retainer that you will have to make sure is correct for you bell housing. Or vise-versa.
Up to 65, the trannies used a "trunion" output shaft. All the output shafts after that were slip yoke.

My 2 cents: These trannies are up there in age. I'm scared of used units off of CL.
The absolute safest bet is to buy a rebuilt unit from Brewers. Last I recall they were a thousand bucks. But you know none of the synchros are toast.

Or do you know how to rebuild a 4 speed....

Bell housing, clutch/pressure plate, tranny, Hurst Comp Plus $hifter...
I bet you're looking at 2 grand.

I'm thinking our 65 had the 18 spline (hemi) the drive shaft is a bolt on one. But now knowing what i'm looking for unless i just stumble across one i don't think i'll put that back in. Think i'll just find a 23 spline. I don't know how to rebuild one but i've got plenty of family members to learn from or have them do it for me.

The mounts position for the Poly engine are diiferent for the 65 stub as compared to the 66 stub.

The STUB from the 66 will bolt directly into the 65 which actually give you more engine options for the future.

You just have to be aware of the brackets you will need inorder to bolt the engine in..

the transmission mounts are very different is size and shape for the auttmatics but not sure about the manual Trannys'..

The Poly is priced to sell since you don't know the internal condition of the engine. Almost core pricing

If I needed a spare for parts, I would scoop it up at that price in a heart beat.

Good luck with the swap out.

So are the mounts on the frame the same for all engines? And the mounts on the engines are whats differant? So all id have to do is find engine mounts for a 383 in 66?

Is there any chance you can post pics of the two different sub frames? Particularly interested in what the engine mounting points look like on the 66 sub frame.

I'll try and get some at lunch. which is where i'm headed now! lol

What about the possibility of updating to a more modern transmission in that thing? Maybe going with the A-518 automatic overdrive transmission. Just a thought unless your trying to keep things all original.Might make it more enjoyable to drive in the future if you do alot of highway driving and want a little better mileage.

The mounting points on the 65 and 66 are not the same. Driver's side is farther forward. Also the power steering is located differently.

The mounting points on the 65 and 66 are not the same. Driver's side is farther forward. Also the power steering is located differently.

I guess that my fault. I ment for the 66 stub.

What about the possibility of updating to a more modern transmission in that thing? Maybe going with the A-518 automatic overdrive transmission. Just a thought unless your trying to keep things all original.Might make it more enjoyable to drive in the future if you do alot of highway driving and want a little better mileage.

No fun putting an auto in a factory 4 speed car! lol Be much more fun as a 4 speed.

65 stub frame and damage

IMG_9206.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

And are these my engine mounts? They were in the trunk of the 65.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

The 66 frame will be simpler to mount any 440 into. The 65 frame requires a 440 block with a special mounting bosses. basically the smaller bracket pictured has to bolt onto the corner of the block on the driver side. I have a picture of a block to show what is needed. It is kind of a pain because not all 440 came with the needed mount points but it was frequently on the 383 engines.

Back