Got them moved to Fresno!

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
All right, I now have three of our cars to Fresno. And in answer to the question, "Can you tow a C Body on a U-Haul transport?" the answer remains: Yes!

Two weeks ago I trailered the Gremlin to our house in Fresno. Last Friday, I took the Newport, drove back to Chico on Saturday, then after worship on Sunday, I towed the Jetta to Fresno.

Having towed the Newport 20 years ago, I expected the swaying that can accompany it! But when some idiot pulled in front of me and then tried to stop, the swaying god really BAD!! I thank God the guy in the left lane was aware and moved into the medium when I cut his way. Glad that was the worst of it! Made it to Fresno and gave thanks!

MPG for the three were like this: Gremlin 17.5, Newport: 15.2, Jetta, 20,1!! Whoo-hoo!

As you can see, the Newport hangs over quite a bit!

20230430_131540.jpg

20230526_132359.jpg

20230527_204034.jpg

20230526_132346.jpg

Uh, why is the Newport the one that weighs down the Durango the least?

Glad you were able to move the fleet.

More weight behind the axles on the trailer putting less weight on the tongue.

Another example of why you should have the proper trailer and not the U-haul.
Too long of a car on too short of a wheel base trailer and the tail wags the dog.

Uh, why is the Newport the one that weighs down the Durango the least?

Glad you were able to move the fleet.
Thanks!

Interesting that you noticed that. Not a smart idea, especially when I knew sway was a possibility, I had the trunk loaded with some stuff the movers won't carry: oils, solvents, and the like. I also had all of my Chilton's manuals and other books, FSMs and the like, in the trunk It was quite heavy. :wideyed:

Another example of why you should have the proper trailer and not the U-haul.
Too long of a car on too short of a wheel base trailer and the tail wags the dog.
Well... I made it. Twice now, including when I bought it 20 years ago. I've also towed a '66 300 on one of these for Steve Hobby. Made it then too.

All right, I now have three of our cars to Fresno. And in answer to the question, "Can you tow a C Body on a U-Haul transport?" the answer remains: Yes!

Having towed the Newport 20 years ago, I expected the swaying that can accompany it! But when some idiot pulled in front of me and then tried to stop, the swaying god really BAD!! I thank God the guy in the left lane was aware and moved into the medium when I cut his way. Glad that was the worst of it! Made it to Fresno and gave thanks!

As you can see, the Newport hangs over quite a bit!

View attachment 599580

View attachment 599581

View attachment 599582

View attachment 599583

You were towing too heavy/large of a vehicle for the trailer you were using, no matter what U-haul told you.

In your own words, you couldn't control your vehicle as the trailer was swaying and pushed you into the next lane causing a driver to take evasive action and head for the meridian.

I wouldn't pat yourself on the back considering you were too inexperienced at towing safely to use the proper trailer and almost caused an accident.

I've towed C cars on U-Haul trailers. No sway issues. But the trunks were empty. If not, the car was loaded rear first and trunk loaded if I needed to.
2200 pounds for the trailer, 5000 or so for the car. It's under the trailer rating.
Tongue weight was always about 600 pounds.
Towed good at 55 mph. But nobody has cut me off either, so I don't know whether it would go in and out of a ditch or not.
My U-Haul dolly works better than the bumper trailers I have had. My goose neck is best, but it's a lot of weight to be hauling dead head across a few states to pick up a car.
So, I use my 10-foot-long flat tow bar most of the time. It follows better than the bumper trailer, as good as the dolly, but not as good as my gooseneck. It's not as wide or heavy as any of the other stuff.
The 97 Dodge 3/4-ton conversion van/tow bar rig hauls big cars 55mph at 15 mpg. The 93 Dakota gooseneck, bumper and dolly do it at 10 to 12.
No brakes with the bar, but at 55 it's easy to keep a lot of distance out front.
Don't use a king pin tow dolly. Use a turn table dolly.

Mine pulled just fine at 85 across 3 states. No sway at all. No problem stopping.

Glad you made it safe. Typical that someone else is the cause of the problem for ya.

20210403_161715.jpg

The idiot who cut in front of him almost caused the accident.

A full size Chrysler Corp vehicle is allowed per U-Hauls site.

Nope, the person who was using the incorrect equipment with little to no experience towing caused a person to veer on the meridian.

Don't care what the U-haul site says.

You were towing too heavy/large of a vehicle for the trailer you were using, no matter what U-haul told you.

In your own words, you couldn't control your vehicle as the trailer was swaying and pushed you into the next lane causing a driver to take evasive action and head for the meridian.

I wouldn't pat yourself on the back considering you were too inexperienced at towing safely to use the proper trailer and almost caused an accident.
You are putting hyperbole into my words that simply is not there. I didn't say I couldn't control my vehicle, I turned into the left lane to miss rear-ending the ******* that pulled in front of me. The heavy swaying happened after the maneuver, not before it.

Instead of making conclusions based on non-information, how about asking instead? Too inexperienced? I've been towing travel trailers for over 40 years, and have done so in 39 of the United States. I was driving 5 ton Bobtail trucks when I was 15! Illegal? Yes! But did I do it? Also yes.

You are way off base.

Back