Harmonic Balancer

Russell Petry

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I am doing quite a bit of work on my 77 NYB, including changing the water pump, changing the AC to a sanden compressor, and also adding EFI to it. Since I will have fairly clean access to it, should I change out the harmonic balancer while I am down there? It is the original one, so was thinking it would be easier to change it out then. Any thought on whether or not I should?

Unless you have some sort of problem, I wouldn't.

On some, the rubber does get old and the outer ring can slip, but unless that's happened, why bother. You might have a hard time finding the correct "external balance" balancer to match the cast crank motor anyway.

mine had an oil leak out the front seal so the rubber ring had softened up and was hanging out the back of the damper by 1/8 inch or so...so i replaced it...if everythings dry i think i'd leave it alone...440 source has one for a cast crank 440 (that i used) but i don't know if the 400 would use the same weight...when i checked it was off by 2 degrees but some here said that could have been the keyway in the crank and not necessarily the damper

Back