Headlight switch

66MonacoWagon

Reaction score
I have figured out that 1) my night dash lights aren't working (light over the ignition comes on), and 2) the dome light will not come on with the headlight switch, and 3) I'm getting some irregular headlight flickering/pulsing (previous owner replaced headlight with halogen).

I figure my first course of action is to replace the headlight switch. Agree?

I'm finding lots of different suppliers and parts numbers from the local stores and rock auto, etc.

Anyone have a recommendation? Part no? Brand? Go with used instead?
It is for my 66 Monaco Wagon with standard lights.

Thanks in advance.

How about the radio an heater button lights? Do they light up ? Do they dim when you turn the headlight switch?

Check the floor dimmer switch and its' connector for corrosion and overheating, and the headlight switch connector for the same.

Also check the bulkhead connector at the firewall for the same. Our cars are known for bad wiring design which results in overheated connectors and fires.

Consider the MAD coversion - search for a how to on this site.

Replace your switch too... I don't have a preferred brand as they're all pretty much the same.

You may also wish to consider headlight relays - takes the load off the switch and system and the lights are brighter. I love mine.

I assume you have checked the fuse box for the dome and panel lamps fuse... but from your description it sounds like the dimmer coil in your headlamp switch is bad.

All fixed. Was the headlight switch. The metal sweep (spring) had completely disintegrated.
Only question is...the light switch I replaced it with has a lead coming off the back of the switch. Any ideas?

Back