Heavy Metal

20200222_104642.png
20200222_104628.png
20200222_104620.png
20200222_104602.png
20200222_104602 (A).png

Its coming. Never been this close to a main engine. amazing thrust you can get .. but you needed that big orange tank to feed three of these to help get off the ground

20200222_115949.png
20200222_115935.png
20200222_115920.png
20200222_115859.png
20200222_115839.png
20200222_115824.png

CD6FC3BA-D7A7-46BE-9989-7AEFEA281CEC.jpeg

Out for my walk and this thing sneaks up on me. Always impressive how these huge freighters so quietly transit this river. That’s one of the thirteen 1,000 plus ft. long monsters on the Great Lakes. The semis crossing the Blue Water Bridge above make a hell of a lot more noise.

Last edited:
Not the best work .. but y'all get it. five feet away, it isnt the biggest thing i have been next too, but one of the coolest to me.

20200222_111456.png
20200222_111718.png
20200222_112030.png
20200222_112140.png
20200222_111917.png

last few ... all the heat tiles are numbered.

20200222_111906.png
20200222_115353.png
20200222_115514.png

anybody account for the color differences to right and to left of red line I drew on fuselage?

Tour guide actually asked that .. the nerd in me and my rocket scientest daughter at Boeing really knew the answer.

20200222_111609.png

last few ... all the heat tiles are numbered.

View attachment 396046 View attachment 396045 View attachment 396044

anybody account for the color differences to right and to left of red line I drew on fuselage?

Tour guide actually asked that .. the nerd in me and my rocket scientest daughter at Boeing really knew the answer.

View attachment 396047

I'll guess the heat discolouration from the angle of attack on descent. The substantially wider part of the fuselage has more drag, and therefor generates more heat.

I'll guess the heat discolouration from the angle of attack on descent. The substantially wider part of the fuselage has more drag, and therefor generates more heat.

there are several places on the orbiter for these thermal "witness" marks (even "streaks" on the tiles themselves were you can eyeball them and see it) -- same angle vs. what could be considered "level"

20200222_111609 (A).png

may be here somewhere. Big new, Grand Wagoneer.

(CNN) Classic SUVs are on the comeback trail. Following the long-awaited return of the Ford Bronco in July, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is getting ready to bring back a couple of its own well-loved SUV nameplates, the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer.

The Wagoneer and the more luxurious Grand Wagoneer will be big SUVs with three rows of seats, set to compete against vehicles like the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Aviator and Navigator. Prices for the Wagoneer are expected to start at about $60,00 and to top $100,000 (with options) for the Grand Wagoneer, Fiat Chrysler executives said.

A concept version unveiled Thursday is close to what the production Grand Wagoneer will look like, the executives said.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer concept offers a modern reinterpretation of one of the earliest family SUVs. The Grand Wagoneer concept was presented as a plug-in hybrid.

The original Wagoneer was introduced in 1962. While based on a truck frame, the Wagoneer was much more stylish and car-like than other early SUVs, like the Bronco and the International Harvester Scout. It was also the first four-wheel-drive vehicle available with an automatic transmission. It introduced the modern concept of an SUV as a family vehicle, rather than something just for farmers and hunters.

The Grand Wagoneer became a distinct model line in 1984, and production ended in 1991.

The Grand Wagoneer concept has a touchscreen just for the passenger to use. Like original Broncos, classic Wagoneer models have become highly desirable today. Values for Grand Wagoneers have gone up 64% and, for Wagoneers, almost 80% over the past three years, according to Hagerty, a company that tracks collectible car values. A number of companies specialize in restoring them for modern customers.

Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) designers talked to some of those companies while developing the new versions to learn what customers appreciated in the earlier models.

Fiat Chrysler plans to ultimately turn the Wagoneer name into a sort of sub-brand for more luxurious Jeep SUVs, said Christian Meunier, global head of the Jeep brand. The Wagoneer has a lot of glass inside, with a computer screen gauge cluster and two more large screens between the driver and passenger. The passenger also has their own touchscreen in the dashboard covered in a privacy film so it doesn't distract the driver. Second-row passengers also have their own large touchscreens.

Fiat Chrysler designers consulted with Jeep Wagoneer restorers to find out what styling cues resonated with fans. The concept uses recycled materials in the interior and has teak wood accents inside and out to play up its "premium" character. The Grand Wagoneer is expected to compete against European luxury SUVs from brands like Ranger Rover and Mercedes-Benz.

I dig it. When the production model arrives, i expect it should look a lot like this concept. I dont see a lot that couldnt ostensibly be built en-masse.

Nothing in this article about powertrains. gotta assume one of Hemi mills is in there. One of the 6.0L's would make me definitely want one.

Too big? Too late? We'll see.

PS. Dead Thread Alert: Anybody know exactly where photos were taken? :poke:

imp4.png
imp6.png
imp5.png

may be here somewhere. Big new, Grand Wagoneer.

(CNN) Classic SUVs are on the comeback trail. Following the long-awaited return of the Ford Bronco in July, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is getting ready to bring back a couple of its own well-loved SUV nameplates, the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer.

The Wagoneer and the more luxurious Grand Wagoneer will be big SUVs with three rows of seats, set to compete against vehicles like the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Aviator and Navigator. Prices for the Wagoneer are expected to start at about $60,00 and to top $100,000 (with options) for the Grand Wagoneer, Fiat Chrysler executives said.

A concept version unveiled Thursday is close to what the production Grand Wagoneer will look like, the executives said.

The Jeep Grand Wagoneer concept offers a modern reinterpretation of one of the earliest family SUVs. The Grand Wagoneer concept was presented as a plug-in hybrid.

The original Wagoneer was introduced in 1962. While based on a truck frame, the Wagoneer was much more stylish and car-like than other early SUVs, like the Bronco and the International Harvester Scout. It was also the first four-wheel-drive vehicle available with an automatic transmission. It introduced the modern concept of an SUV as a family vehicle, rather than something just for farmers and hunters.

The Grand Wagoneer became a distinct model line in 1984, and production ended in 1991.

The Grand Wagoneer concept has a touchscreen just for the passenger to use. Like original Broncos, classic Wagoneer models have become highly desirable today. Values for Grand Wagoneers have gone up 64% and, for Wagoneers, almost 80% over the past three years, according to Hagerty, a company that tracks collectible car values. A number of companies specialize in restoring them for modern customers.

Fiat Chrysler (FCAU) designers talked to some of those companies while developing the new versions to learn what customers appreciated in the earlier models.

Fiat Chrysler plans to ultimately turn the Wagoneer name into a sort of sub-brand for more luxurious Jeep SUVs, said Christian Meunier, global head of the Jeep brand. The Wagoneer has a lot of glass inside, with a computer screen gauge cluster and two more large screens between the driver and passenger. The passenger also has their own touchscreen in the dashboard covered in a privacy film so it doesn't distract the driver. Second-row passengers also have their own large touchscreens.

Fiat Chrysler designers consulted with Jeep Wagoneer restorers to find out what styling cues resonated with fans. The concept uses recycled materials in the interior and has teak wood accents inside and out to play up its "premium" character. The Grand Wagoneer is expected to compete against European luxury SUVs from brands like Ranger Rover and Mercedes-Benz.

I dig it. When the production model arrives, i expect it should look a lot like this concept. I dont see a lot that couldnt ostensibly be built en-masse.

Nothing in this article about powertrains. gotta assume one of Hemi mills is in there. One of the 6.0L's would make me definitely want one.

Too big? Too late? We'll see.

PS. Dead Thread Alert: Anybody know exactly where photos were taken? :poke:

View attachment 399859 View attachment 399861 View attachment 399860
I look at that exterior, and all I can see is Lincoln.

its boxy like a navigator (like 2009 circa), and i wish it had more of a current Durango's body lines.

Other speculations floating around.

Capture 72 (2).png
Capture 72 (1).png
Untitled 6AA.png
Capture 71  (1).png

Because I see no mention of the Suburban in the write up, I'll assume that it can't bring a 4x8 sheet home in one piece... which makes it another semi-useless oversized crossover. Perfect for a magnetic soccer ball, but unable to perform an honest days work.

Radial engine with a fixed crankshaft, so that the cylinders rotate around the crankshaft.

Radial engine with a fixed crankshaft, so that the cylinders rotate around the crankshaft.

didnt find a digital vid in English, but the illustration in this one is great .. so, if like me, you didnt get the narrator;s description this should clear it up. bonus if you speak German. :)

didnt find a digital vid in English, but the illustration in this one is great .. so, if like me, you didnt get the narrator;s description this should clear it up. bonus if you speak German. :)

I need the screen saver version of that :thumbsup:

Back