Heavy Metal

USS Massachusetts (BB-59) is moved below the Charles M. Braga Jr. Memorial Bridge at Fall River, circa 1965
View attachment 453491
I've been there!! A great gathering of war ships, including two PT Boats!

P1010025.JPG
P1010041.JPG
P1010028.JPG
P1010027.JPG
P1010037.JPG

10 October 1986, Pacific, South of Aleutian Islands. USS New Jersey (BB-62) fires all 406 mm guns simultaneously amid 18th WestPac cruise. Taken from a helicopter assigned to aircraft carrier USS Ranger (CV-61).
wk292rserau61.jpg

She may be stuck in the mud, but she's still beautiful to me! USS North Carolina - BB-55
View attachment 453096

I'm biased here, but the USS North Carolina is the most beautiful ship. She's an awesome piece of history and very much worth the visit. Just try to go when the crowds aren't there. I can't tell you how many times I "shot" the building across the river from her guns when I was a kid. To this day I still make a visit every couple of years but now I raid the breweries downtown after I "shoot" them. :D

I think if you really look close each turret is firing only one gun. One big glorious gun :usflag: I want one!

The battleship USS Missouri bombards Chongjin, North Korea, with her 16 inch guns during a mission to set out the lines of communication between the Northern and Southern parts of Korea during the Korean War.
rf2oxntualu61.jpg

The Legendary Japanese battleships Yamato (right) and Musashi (left). Probably Nagato (left) and Fuso (right) are in the back. Truk Naval Base, 1943
tl9kc6e3rlu61.jpg

Back