Hemi Fury

If I would have done this again, I would have moved the transmission forward one inch or so and would have installed a longer driveshaft. That way you get enough clearance at firewall and retain the truck setup completely (I like it better because alternator is not sticking out to the side).
And that's exactly what I was wondering about.

The other conversion on the Drydock is using a FEAD with the alternator at the side, and he had to notch his control arm bracket for clearance. I would want to avoid that, and also get the engine away from the firewall pinchweld, so interesting that 1" forward would allow the truck engine (and intake) to fit better as-is. And truck engines seem to be about $1000 cheaper from my research. Sounds like the $2-300 on driveshaft is a good investment, the other incidentals at the transmission area shouldn't be too bad.

Moving it forward would make the motormount brackets less cantilevered also. And I presume this engine is lighter than a BB, so moving forward doesn't degrade handling too much, still should be better than a BB in the stock location.

What about the oilpan I wonder??? Would that Milodon still fit? I would not want to modify the oilpan, my skill isn't that high. (small boats should stay near the shore, as the saying goes)

BTW - what is the elec box on the pass-side firewall? The ECU?

BTW, a little trick on the sumping into a tank, for any home-brewed welders like me (highly-skilled TIG guys can ignore this) -
If your sump has a flange on the edges to overlap the gas tank, it is much easier to weld. The way it is shown in the picture when you weld it the heat will tend to melt the 2 pieces away from each other, leading to blowout. If the flange overlaps the tank, it reduces that a great deal, and you only need to worry about blowing thru the thinner metal.

You are correct on the engine mounts - it would be even easier to make those if engine was moved forward.
Milodon claims their pan fits c-body. I was concerned about the idler arm notch - their pan is missing it. It might fit though. I did not have extra cash so I made one out of Hemi and c-body BB oil pans. What a pain in the back it was - Hemi pan is double layer steel. Lots of welding, then test for leaks, weld, test, weld, pressure test finally.
The box on pass. side is ECU.

I'm late to the game on this one but it turned out great! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks folks!
I am facing a small issue here with the new Borgeson steering box - I can hear a hissing noise coming from the steering shaft, it gets louder when I turn the steering wheel.
Anyone seen anything like that before?
It also sounds like a supercharger on a hard acceleration - perhaps a pump whine, but the steering was bled properly...

did you use the type n brand fluid it calls for , ford setup whines until the right stuff is used , had a gm sag pwr box whine when filling it dry under loads , took 50 miles on the highway to clear it .

I used Mopar atf+4 transmission fluid. Borgeson said it will do just fine.
I have GM type 2 pump and the manufacturer says to use what is recommended for the steering box.

Nothing yet. I thought I would do basic troubleshooting first before contacting them.

Well, Borgeson guy said the hissing sound is normal - it is hydraulic noise from the fluid/valve in the box. Vibration reducing coupler can be used to quiet it down.
The 'supercharger' whine can be caused by running ATF +4, they suggested replacing it with regular power steering fluid. Looks like I have a small project for this weekend.

I would not use ATF in any new build of a PS system unless the OEM specified it. Yes, we have all used it to top them off over the years, but ATF is continually being chemically engineered to be used in transmissions, with certain friction and detergent properties, for use with a filter. Non-filter systems (like pushmowers, small aircompressors, etc) usually call for a specific oil for this reason.

The pump noise has quieted down after replacing the ATF with Valvoline PS fluid. I can hear it only when maneuvering on a parking lot and it`s not loud. I also added a small PS cooler.
One day after a ride I was checking the fluid level and the pump was hot. I checked the bottle temp and it was 225 degrees. Now with the cooler it does not get hotter than 190.

Back