Hmm, where is the Flasher relay?

ideologist

Reaction score
I can't find it, I feel like a blind man grasping hopelessly

(65 if the year matters, I have the wiring diagrams but can't physically locate the relay)

If you drop the trim panel under the steering wheel, the flasher will usually be mounted on the bracket that supports the steering column just above the ignition switch. Most '65 Chryslers will not have a 4 way flasher, just turn signals.

Dave

Well, I have been crawling around for the last hour and a half and can't find it anywhere. I took some fairly useless photos but I can find the back of the speedo cluster, the radio, the ignition switch, the heater switch, the reverb switch, just not this relay. My blinkers blink with bulbs, but I want to swap this relay out for an LED relay and I'm just not seeing it.

Is there a photo of the relay anywhere? I don't know which part number to look up, but so far my eyes are rolling (mostly from being upside down with my legs hanging over the back of the driver's seat to get in there.

Also in the interest of not starting a new thread, what controls the reverse lights? I can't get those to light up and want to check fuses or anything else before I get into messing with a new backup light switch

This is not meant to be insulting but the pic below is what you're looking for, circled in red. This picture is from a post from @Vinsanity in 2017 for his 67 Fury but it should be very similar.

Turn signal malfunction.

upload_2020-7-3_3-2-56.png

This is a pic from forabodiesonly for further reference.

upload_2020-7-3_3-10-57.png

This is not meant to be insulting but the pic below is what you're looking for, circled in red. This picture is from a post from @Vinsanity in 2017 for his 67 Fury but it should be very similar.

Turn signal malfunction.

View attachment 385715

This is a pic from forabodiesonly for further reference.

View attachment 385716

Thank you!!! It's not near the steering column in mine, it is over in a receptacle under the heater switch and radio. I wasn't seeing it as a relay until I disconnected the wires and pulled it out of the cylinder holding it in place

Also, having hands larger than toddler-size is a real pain in the *** trying to work in this dash. I have switches and heater ductwork and all kinds of crap in the way. I really don't want to gamble on pulling the glass out to remove the dash, but it is looking ever more likely as I update the lighting and electronics

If you have a turn signal relay and a flasher relay, when you have the turn signal on, you will feel it clicking when holding it and hear the relay switching on and off. That's the easiest way to be sure.

If you have a turn signal relay and a flasher relay, when you have the turn signal on, you will feel it clicking when holding it and hear the relay switching on and off. That's the easiest way to be sure.

Mine does not have flashers, just turn signals

In my experience, they're located where they're easily accessible, not tucked away. Usually pretty close to the bottom of the dash.

My Cdn 66 Polara(Fury) dash has the turn blinker right behind the ash tray...
A simple popping out of the tray and reach in with a chain mail glove and it's in amongst the sharp edges of the dash frame LOL!:lol:

My Cdn 66 Polara(Fury) dash has the turn blinker right behind the ash tray...
A simple popping out of the tray and reach in with a chain mail glove and it's in amongst the sharp edges of the dash frame LOL!:lol:

That's basically what mine was. If I had a Cabbage Patch Doll hand, wrapped in chainmail, it would have been perfect

And I'm pretty sure the reverse light switch is mounted on the top of the steering column shaft just forward of the dash mounting point. The switch looks like this...... At least if your car is a 65, I've lost track now.
upload_2020-7-3_10-4-37.png

And I'm pretty sure the reverse light switch is mounted on the top of the steering column shaft just forward of the dash mounting point. The switch looks like this...... At least if your car is a 65, I've lost track now.
..View attachment 385773

Thanks, are there any subsets of fuses or wiring blocks? Just the backup lights are dead, but the rear tails and brake lights work fine

Connector for tail lamps/B/U lights is in the driver side kick pane IIRC... often the bachup lamp switch lije the one shown needs contact cleNing to work again. You can test it with a multi meter.

Connector for tail lamps/B/U lights is in the driver side kick pane IIRC... often the bachup lamp switch lije the one shown needs contact cleNing to work again. You can test it with a multi meter.

Can you clean it while installed or does the dash need to come out to fix it?

The connector is cleanable with DeOxit spray and a brass brush.

The backup switch is on the column, and can be removed without removing the dash. You may need to lower the column a bit by removing the collar that holds it to the dash.

Back