Hobby Upholstery shop setup and projects

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many of you know that I tend to jump into projects after doing a little research and try to re-create or learn new things. One of the things that I jumped headfirst into was upholstery. I am by no means an expert and I don’t think I am quick enough yet to do a project for someone beyond a minimum wage per hour, but I am learning as I go.
I will grab a couple of my projects that I have already posted on my car interior, but this thread will be for some of my household upholstery projects and the progress of my shop setup. My goal is to make projects a little easier and to be more efficient. I will try to post as many pictures as I can remember to take.
I will start with a picture of my current shop setup. You can see my Sailrite Industrial sewing machine just to the left of my toolbox. I also created a layout/cutting table. It consists of two 72x19 and one 48x19 workbenches connected together by a laminate floor top. I wanted a nice large durable surface so instead of going out and buying something to top it, I decided to go shopping in my basement. I had a number of boxes of flooring that I had leftover from my old house and my wife’s craft room. It makes a nice durable surface. Now I need a larger sewing surface.
IMG_7719.jpeg

I pulled this out of the what are you working on thread that I posted this weekend and was the inspiration for this thread.
Since I was left at home unsupervised this weekend I decided to draw out a new sewing/upholstery layout in my shop. After I watched the upholstery video above, I decided I needed a better configuration for my sewing machine layout. Currently it’s set up like this. Great for small projects but not much room for larger items.
1701747684831.jpeg

I have a nice workbench space that is about 93” x 50”. Big enough for fabric layout. It consists of three workbenches with some leftover laminate flooring for a table top to tie them together.
IMG_7725.jpeg

So I decided to try and draw out a new layout. I have a 4th 20x50 workbench the same height. All have rollers. That I think I can build a folding table top on it for a nice modular setup.
IMG_7726.jpeg

Here is the current setup.
IMG_7727.jpeg

Here is what it could be when not in use.
IMG_7728.jpeg

Or when in use for large items

IMG_7729.jpeg

Or for medium sized pieces
IMG_7730.jpeg

Just need my sewing machine on rollers and adjust height a bit to use my layout table as an outfeed surface.

Last edited:
Down to the basement for my last box of laminate. I have enough for my other bench. To cover for an indeed table.
Will switch it up tomorrow with a few of my upcoming projects and maybe some completed.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you want to get into doing upholstery part time, I'm going to suggest you learn to do headliners. I had a guy come to the house and charge me $400 for a couple hours work... and that was cheap. All he provided was the glue. I bought the headliner, ripped out the old and removed the windshield and rear window, along with all the trim.

If you want to get into doing upholstery part time, I'm going to suggest you learn to do headliners. I had a guy come to the house and charge me $400 for a couple hours work... and that was cheap. All he provided was the glue. I bought the headliner, ripped out the old and removed the windshield and rear window, along with all the trim.
68 Polara restore back on

This is link should take you to where I installed my headliner.
It wouldn't be too hard to sew one up, but if I recall correctly when I ordered it from SMS it was pretty reasonable. The correct fabric alone would cost around $40 per yard and am thinking around 4 yards. So $160 in the correct fabric plus the listing material (Where the bows go through) and I think I paid $240 for the already sewed version ( Probably 10 years ago now I may have to check my receipts) So maybe not worth sewing up yourself. It would be an easy sew if you have a good pattern.
The key to installing was to mark and know your center points. If I recall the FSM had a good detailed installation instruction.

I now see I'm going to need much more working room than I had realized.
When I did my seats it was on a 4X8 surface, but for layout it is really nice to have 54" - 56" wide fabric cuts laid out flat to do the layout and tracing. A large clean floor surface works as well, but not near as comfortable as bench height.
I am taking up half my garage with the Polara, and the other half with some built in cabinets is my work area. Minimally the space of a car would work. Part of my intent of a modular workspace is that I can easily convert from working on Upholstery to working on my motorcycle or car or other mechanical projects. I am fortunate that I was able to build a 24 x 24 garage / shop to store my car and have a "clean room" type workspace. I am dreaming of going another 24x24 to move my lift back further in case I get another car. But dreaming and drawing it up in design software for now. My fear is that the more space you have access to the more likely you are to fill it up with crap and you don't gain much net space.

68 Polara restore back on

This is link should take you to where I installed my headliner.
It wouldn't be too hard to sew one up, but if I recall correctly when I ordered it from SMS it was pretty reasonable. The correct fabric alone would cost around $40 per yard and am thinking around 4 yards. So $160 in the correct fabric plus the listing material (Where the bows go through) and I think I paid $240 for the already sewed version ( Probably 10 years ago now I may have to check my receipts) So maybe not worth sewing up yourself. It would be an easy sew if you have a good pattern.
The key to installing was to mark and know your center points. If I recall the FSM had a good detailed installation instruction.
The thing to do would be to hook up with Acme Headliners as a dealer or installer. Then you could sell and markup the headliner.

Most vendors sell Acme headliners, with SMS being the notable exception. SMS does have the material to match the OEM, but I'll bet you'll find that most people won't care.

There's probably some money to be made doing Harley and snowmobile seats too. They would be quick jobs that don't take up a lot of room. Remember that a quick nickel is better than a slow dime.

When I did my seats it was on a 4X8 surface, but for layout it is really nice to have 54" - 56" wide fabric cuts laid out flat to do the layout and tracing. A large clean floor surface works as well, but not near as comfortable as bench height.
I am taking up half my garage with the Polara, and the other half with some built in cabinets is my work area. Minimally the space of a car would work. Part of my intent of a modular workspace is that I can easily convert from working on Upholstery to working on my motorcycle or car or other mechanical projects. I am fortunate that I was able to build a 24 x 24 garage / shop to store my car and have a "clean room" type workspace. I am dreaming of going another 24x24 to move my lift back further in case I get another car. But dreaming and drawing it up in design software for now. My fear is that the more space you have access to the more likely you are to fill it up with crap and you don't gain much net space.

My garages have been 24x28, 24x36, 18x24, 18x40, 30x40, and 12x24.
It's nice when the size can be heated and cooled 24/7.
Collecting excess stuff wasn't a problem with the 30x40. Climate control was expensive. I myself would not do another 30x40x14.
The finished 18x40x10 was a good size. I got a lot of work done in that garage. I would do that again.
Now I'm using a small finished 12x24 garage with a finished 24x32 room next to it.
I'm going to start learning to do the interiors in these daily drivers. Haven't done it before because I didn't need to decades ago, now I do.
I think a lot of people are in the same situation. Either learn to do something new or pay the big bucks.
And that's the whole thing right there. We haven't done it before and it's not obvious like changing a tire.

My garages have been 24x28, 24x36, 18x24, 18x40, 30x40, and 12x24.
It's nice when the size can be heated and cooled 24/7.
Collecting excess stuff wasn't a problem with the 30x40. Climate control was expensive. I myself would not do another 30x40x14.
The finished 18x40x10 was a good size. I got a lot of work done in that garage. I would do that again.
Now I'm using a small finished 12x24 garage with a finished 24x32 room next to it.
I'm going to start learning to do the interiors in these daily drivers. Haven't done it before because I didn't need to decades ago, now I do.
I think a lot of people are in the same situation. Either learn to do something new or pay the big bucks.
And that's the whole thing right there. We haven't done it before and it's not obvious like changing a tire.
I have an insulated and heated 40’ x 100’ shop with a concrete floor and love it! It also has a drop ceiling and I have put WiFi in it.

It has 14 - 30,000 lumens drop lights make it bright.
As the shop is insulated, it’s not too bad in the summer.

It’s great to be able to store Bruno, our 2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor diesel pusher and not have to winterize it.

I have an insulated and heated 40’ x 100’ shop with a concrete floor and love it! It also has a drop ceiling and I have put WiFi in it.
When I walk out to my cold 2 car garage with 3 cars, all my tools and a lot of spare parts, I'll think of you... and probably start to hate you....

i figured out long ago that there are some things which others can do better, just have to find them. There are some things that after watching others do them, that I can do at least as well, after a few times. There are some things where particular "special tools or locations" are needed to do them. Which becomes the gray area of sorts, where I determine if making that investment in tools and such is what I can financially justify. Everybody has their own sensitivities on these things.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

When I walk out to my cold 2 car garage with 3 cars, all my tools and a lot of spare parts, I'll think of you... and probably start to hate you....
I must tell you that back in early 2018, I was looking for an acreage and I had looked at about 5 or 6, but then this place popped up. None of the other places had a shop anything like this. I was totally sold on it with just the shop, and now my wife is getting the house in order. A two for one deal!

i figured out long ago that there are some things which others can do better, just have to find them. There are some things that after watching others do them, that I can do at least as well, after a few times. There are some things where particular "special tools or locations" are needed to do them. Which becomes the gray area of sorts, where I determine if making that investment in tools and such is what I can financially justify. Everybody has their own sensitivities on these things.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67
I'm think seeing others do it will prompt me to move forward.
I long for the days of the JC Whitney seat covers.

judging by the SMS horror stories an industrial sewing machine doesn't sound like a bad investment...

I still have a set of seats that need some reupholstery if you need a new car to do @HWYCRZR There's a very interesting blue set that needs new covers and a color change... those colors are too much for me :)

Back