Holy car weight batman!!!

65fury4dr

Reaction score
Well i feel a little better about how much my car weighs now. My girlfriends dad and i took our cars to the local dump to get our cars weighed for giggles yesterday, he drove his there and i brought mine on a trailor, i pulled mine of on to the scale and it ended up being 3,796 lbs with the poly and spare still in it wich is a lot less then i thought, then my girlfriends dad pulls his 64 thunderbird hardtop with a 390 on the scale and it ended up weighing 4,512 lbs lol i wanted to check his car for extra weight it came up the same. I had no ideah those midsized cars weighed that much.

Wow, that is lighter than my '69 Charger. My brother's '68 Charger is a tad lighter than your fury, but his doesn't have Airtemp and mine does.
Does your Fury have Airtemp? I'm guessing that it does not.

A few years back I scaled my 65 Polara in road trim with traveling tool box etc. and me in the seat with a half tank of gas. Was 4450, I was ~185 at the time and so on. A little heavier than I had suspected.
Mike

I didn't realize that those T-Birds were that heavy either. Seems more like Lincoln territory. As far as I know, both my '71 Newport and my '70 Mercury (full size) are lighter than that T-Bird. I always suspicioned the '65/'66 Furys to be lighter cars.

The Sixties T-Birds are really quite heavy for their size. My dad had a '63 from 1974 - 1979, with the 390, air, and power windows and seats. It was around #4,200, IIRC.

I've been meaning to weigh mine and I pass a scale twice a day in my Imp, today's the day!

I have scaled my race car at 4 different tracks. 3 of the tracks it was within 30 pounds. The 4th track had it over 200 pounds lighter that the lightest weight. And this track had the newest scales. Computerized with 4 corner weight & total weight. I was very skeptical. About a year or so later they installed a new scale LoL. So my point is to have your car weight somewhere else & see if it's different. Another thing when I added the 4 corners up it totaled higher that the total on the same weight slip they printed out for me. I questioned this & they blew me off.

After much diging ive found from multiple sources that the poast sedans curb weight is 3,665 lbs for the 65 and 66 fury 3,756 lbs for the convertable 3,593 lbs 2 door poast and about the same for the sport. All being rated with 383 bb and auto 727. Its still hard to believe.

'65-'66 Fury's are the lightest of the bunch...I've been on scales all over MI and Alberta with mine, all were close enough to account for the variance in fuel level in the car... 3650 lbs with a 440 and some weight removal...

My 440 powered 65 Sport Fury convertible weighed 4120 at the track (no driver) half tank of gas and no spare tire. My 65 slant six auto Belvedere I weighs in at 3200, no driver, no spare, half tank of gas.
My 2007 Magnum RT is supposed to weigh in at 4300 lbs but I have never had it weighed.

'65-'66 Fury's are the lightest of the bunch...I've been on scales all over MI and Alberta with mine, all were close enough to account for the variance in fuel level in the car... 3650 lbs with a 440 and some weight removal...

Did you do anything structurally to remove weight?

One reason I figured the '65/'66 Furys were lighter is because the factory put slant sixes in quite a few of them. I used to know someone who had a '65 with a six and that engine didn't have any trouble moving that car around.

I haven't weighed my Newport either, but the three sources that I have been able to find list it at 3990 lbs, 4050 lbs and 4075 lbs. I don't know if those numbers are supposed to be with a full tank of gas or not. My car is a two door hardtop, PS/PB car with a 383/727 combo and no other power options and no A/C. So, I'm assuming the 4050 lbs until I have proof otherwise. :laughing7:

Alot of aluminum parts, headers, manual steering/brakes, mono-leafs, radio delete, no heater/carpet, frame has been tied and hung some '73 discs on the front, but nothing done that can't be put back in the car...

'67 Imperial Coupe with almost a full tank and me behind the wheel (at about 190 lbs) a whopping 5,280 lbs.!

1 mile is
5280 feet

so, your Imperial weighs a mile of pounds.

Back