How do I remove my driveshaft?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Stupid question but how do I remove the driveshaft. I have removed the 4 bolts at the rear yoke. I presume I would slide it forward to clear the rear yoke and the pull it out of the transmission, but it is not budging and I don't want to force anything since I don't really know what I'm doing.

You may need to pry forward and you have nothing to worry about, Mike.

Reckless abandon, pry away!

Yes, replace them when out. Just wear safety glasses. Stupid me went to the emergency room after getting hit with a C clip in the eye, when I was reinstalling new ujoints.

If the u-joint is new wrap plenty of electrical tape around it to hold the caps on. I'd have the tape under there with you and put it on immediately before you pull it out of the trans. Also make sure the rear of the trans is elevated a little or you'll have a big pool of ATF all over the place. If you have an extra slip yoke have it handy to shove in the trans to keep the fluid in there.

excellent point! Thought about the fluid earlier when reading the post. Thought it odd no one said anything

I spill a gallon every time & seem incapable of learning.

Didn't spill a drop. The guy rebuilding my transmission told me to drop the pan and drain the fluid. The drive shaft came right out with a pry bar.

I was having problems dropping the transmission cross member, put a jack under the cross member so the weight of the transmission would not drop everything to the floor with a boom. I got all the bolts out and nothing. Started prying nothing. Got my trouble light out, missed those 2 bolts.:sFun_doh2: Everything is officially disconnected, meeting the guy at my shop tomorrow at 8:00.:yaayy:

Drive shaft

Stupid question but how do I remove the driveshaft. I have removed the 4 bolts at the rear yoke. I presume I would slide it forward to clear the rear yoke and the pull it out of the transmission, but it is not budging and I don't want to force anything since I don't really know what I'm doing.

Don't slide the drive shaft to far, the rust on the yoke can damage the seal on the rear of the trans. If it goes to far run some fine emery cloth around the inside in a circular motion to fix.

The guy rebuilding my transmission called and told me it was ready. I asked him how much I owed him and he said he would total up the materials and give me a call back. The rebuild kit and a new torque converter came to around $215. He said lets just make it $250 and will call it even. I couldn't believe it he won't take my money.

He's retired and just said he likes doing it, and it is good to see me putting the old girl back to the road. He finally said if you want then get me a case of beer, and he only likes the cheap stuff. A case of beer was all he charged me to rebuild my carburetor. I feel very fortunate to have his help.:eek:s_dancing2:

Yes this guy has been great, a Mopar guy all his life. Has all the specialty tools and then comes and helps me use them. He is bringing the transmission by next Monday and then is going to help me with my suspension. He doesn't want me to F it up although he did tell me there is nothing I can F up that he can't fix. He can tell I have never done this before, along with many other things.

It's great to hear about people like this, I've got a few of them up here that I call friends.

I have friends like that too.

Both named Mike....

20121110_104736.jpg

20121110_104736.jpg

Back