how rare is a 65 Monaco 426 4-speed???

The Original poster has not been on for 2 months but he said he was not looking to Flip and wanted to talk with Mopar guys, But on every Forum i see him on i never see him talk, Just trying to sell cars. I think i will Call him a Bullshit Artist :D

Have any pics of the data plate? If that pumpkin came out of the Monaco that you say had 3:55's I can tell you that it certainly was not factory. Best you could do was 3:23's. I am still looking for 100% verifiable PROOF of any '65 Monacos with a factory 426W and 4 speed that do still or once existed. So far, besides mine, I have not seen any yet. Not saying they are not out there or once existed, but proof is in the pudding(paper work).

This is why my standard answer on ALL "WIW?" threads is:

It's worth whatever a buyer and seller agree to. That is the vehicle/part worth at that moment in time. I'd say 95% of these threads are to gauge:
1) Is there a market?
2) Did I pay too much to make a good profit on?
3) I'm too lazy to do my own research by looking up comps in various forums and venues to gauge the current prices; and
4) Will these guys validate my car, appraise it for free, and/or buy it.

many years ago

Have any pics of the data plate? If that pumpkin came out of the Monaco that you say had 3:55's I can tell you that it certainly was not factory. Best you could do was 3:23's. I am still looking for 100% verifiable PROOF of any '65 Monacos with a factory 426W and 4 speed that do still or once existed. So far, besides mine, I have not seen any yet. Not saying they are not out there or once existed, but proof is in the pudding(paper work).

Sorry , that was almost 15 years ago , the only thing I have left is the engine block , The guy I bought it from told me that they would go out with the car and give the young guys hell with it . The car had severe rust and body cancer , I gave $750.00 for the car and parted it out , made double on my money and still kept the block , the engine did have chrome valve covers and a chrome air breather , A man in Rocky mount N.C. bought all the engine parts including the rods and pistons for a rebuild he was doing. As far as the rear gears they may have been changed out to make that big old car move out a little faster.

Well- I finally went back for a closer look at the 'ol 65 Monaco. Still didn't get it out of the pole barn (junk in the way), but got a decent look at the cancer spots, interior, underside, engine bay, etc.

The engine is a 426 street wedge (HP on the pad) #2532230-2. It had been rebuilt some time ago- has new freeze plugs, etc. All parts are intact except the chrome air cleaner and carb are missing.

The 4-speed is all intact including the Hurst shifter, rods, etc. The radiator is also out of the 426 car (donor car) #2524986 and appears in good shape along with the clutch fan.

The black interior is super dirty from sitting for 40 years, but no rips/tears on anything, just the headliner is shot. It all would probably clean up fine. Only bad spots were the driver's armrest pad and a couple dash cracks. The center console is supposedly in the trunk.

IMO- the body is super straight, but the lower quarters are shot, both fenders have rust on bottom rear and front. The doors are really nice though- even on the bottom lips. Deck lid is nice. The hood is nice but rusted underside. The roof has a couple dents as well. Very nice tail lights. The rear applique is pitted The grille is in good shape. Both bumpers are 'decent' at best.

Let me know if there's any interest in parts or whole. I might grab the car soon if the price is right. The VIN was missing from the inner door, but he says he has it. IMO- I don't think it's worth restoring unless you have a donor car for panels, bumper's, etc. Although the floors appear do be nice, as well as the crossmember area, torque boxes, rockers, etc. Kind of a bummer being a 383 4-spd car & black on black. That's what 50 years does.

442.jpg

I've gotta say I have some interest, what price range are we talking? If not the whole car, then maybe pieces of it. I do have the benefit of a couple parts cars laying around............. Hows about some pics?

I've gotta say I have some interest, what price range are we talking? If not the whole car, then maybe pieces of it. I do have the benefit of a couple parts cars laying around............. Hows about some pics?
here are some pics from today. PM me. I'll have to see what he wants for the thing too.

107.jpg

108.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Oh man, that's rough. I'm afraid it's more work than I want and off hand didn't even see any pieces I could really justify paying for. Even has a broken torsion bar, that would worry me also. Looks like a pretty early car, too.

Everybody can go home now. Except the guy needing the pedals.

111-jpg.83246

From Post #1, everybody was thinking this:

1965%20Dodge%20Monaco-04-05.jpg

PicsArt_06-21-09.34.17.jpg

Last edited:
Strange how ma Mopar would use a different radiator # for just the 413/426 & not the same for all the big blocks of that year. Thanks for the info. NOW you have us excited. The reason I asked the radiator value is because the old timer said years ago a guy offered him $500 for it- of course he said no.
Very odd then with the 99 engine code if it's the 426W car.
I'm not too concerned about the restoration cost (to a point). Been there/ done that. Thanks guys for all the research so far! I'll see if I can't expedite the whole deal.
I have have 3 65 300 L's. All 3 have code of 99.
All 3 came with 413 365 hp, not 360hp, but 365hp. Not sure why.
the only explanation that fits is that 99 code is what engine is the standard engine for that series car.
The plot thickens.
Also, every HP engine in any of the cars I have owned ALWAYS had the chrome valve covers on them.
3 65 300 L's
3 67 Sport Fury 4 speeds
67 Coronet R/T

Exceptions were 66 Polara 4 speed convert had 383 4 bbl with SINGLE exhaust. Blue valve covers.
63 300J with short rams had turquoise valve covers.

I always thought chrome valve covers came on any HP motor.

My opinions

Tom Denkler

The radiator was used in automatic transmission applications as well. It would not have to come from a manual transmission car. It would, at one time, probably been a very common replacement part.

If I come across as a little frustrated, I am. Of all the people involved in the thread, you have the greatest access to documentation and the actual car. You've had the best opportunity to see, feel, smell and document the car. You have access to the window sticker....yet you keep asking US for info. We're working with one hand behind our back when you have access to they key.

Just ask for a copy of the sticker and see what it says. That is the most critical piece of evidence out there. Get that FIRST then worry about all the other stuff.

Start with what you CAN prove, not with what you CAN'T. If the WS is not for this car, then we can start to piece things together.

None of the parts, WIW, this, that or the other thing matter until you find out how it was born.

It's a cool find and worth looking into but let's start with the facts.
the 4989 radiator is std on ANY 65 4 speed engine, 383,413,or 426. It has no provision for A/T trans line fittings at the bottom of the tank.
That's why they are so valuable. 4986 is not used on manual trans car.

Again, my experience and opinions. I could be wrong.
I'll look up in 65 parts manual to verify.

Tom Denkler

I always thought chrome valve covers came on any HP motor.

It depends on the year and configuration. In some years HPs got chrome and in some years they didn't.

I just want to confirm the number under the D. Is it a "3"?

118.jpg

Such a shame, what was once a beautiful car is laid to waste. Even if you bought that thing for a 1000 bucks, youd need to spend 15k to restore it. At least.And that would be marginal. Then, what would it be worth? Stan's right, pedals.

the 4989 radiator is std on ANY 65 4 speed engine, 383,413,or 426. It has no provision for A/T trans line fittings at the bottom of the tank.
That's why they are so valuable. 4986 is not used on manual trans car.

Again, my experience and opinions. I could be wrong.
I'll look up in 65 parts manual to verify.

Tom Denkler
Just noted the C3 413 with "special cam" listed in above excerpt from part manual.
Never noticed that before! It's C3 only, that means Chrysler 300.
Now, I have to go scour engine part of manual for this C3 413 "special cam"

Just noted the C3 413 with "special cam" listed in above excerpt from part manual.
Never noticed that before! It's C3 only, that means Chrysler 300.
Now, I have to go scour engine part of manual for this C3 413 "special cam"

Wouldn't that reference of "C3-special cam" be the New Yorker with optional 360 HP engine (same engine as 300L)? Meaning a New Yorker with the standard 340 horse engine got the 986 radiator and the 360 horse got the 989.

Last edited:
Back