how to make an engine bay look like crap in just a few minutes

fury fan

Reaction score
Through some twists of fate, I've been able to get some aircleaners powdercoated near-free recently.
Decided to throw them on the car to see how they look.

So to answer the thread title -
Take 1 non-restored car, which had a bit of engine-only detailing about 15 years ago, and install aircleaners that immediately make the rest look that much worse.

Start with an unsilenced HP.
1641761921880.png

Then try a 67 dual-snorkel.
1641762094690.png

And although I would never use it on this car, as it is so incorrect, I threw on a 72-73. It almost looks photoshopped in there.
1641762221288.png

Through some twists of fate, I've been able to get some aircleaners powdercoated near-free recently.

Take 1 non-restored car, which had a bit of engine-only detailing about 15 years ago, and install aircleaners that immediately make the rest look that much worse.

View attachment 508412

View attachment 508413

And although I would never use it on this car, as it is so incorrect, I threw on a 72-73. It almost looks photoshopped in there.
View attachment 508414
That engine compartment looks pretty good. A little paint here and there is really all you need.

Actually just painting the radiator would help alot

Send the 72/73 up here, I see how it looks and functions on my engine.
Might take some time making sure my butt monitor is matching the real world data.

I have pulleys, PS reservoir, battery tray coated in high-gloss black, and next summer I think I'll try an alum radiator.
Just out of sight in the pics is an MSD box with a rat's nest of wiring and relays next to it that's been bothering me forever and needs to be reconfigured.
Peeling off components and polishing the white areas with a 2" pad on a cordless drill would help a lot also.

Realistically, this isn't the start of a total makeover, but will be the start of an improvement.

For teh 3 cars I have, this is now the case with each of them - shiny powdercoated accessory parts to go on cars that are at a spray-can level.:(

Yeah just a little paint like Big_John said and paint the radiator some cleaning and may I suggest a factory looking upper radiator hose + the air cleaner of your choice she will be the queen of the ball.

I've had this car for 24 years, and it's gone thru a number of mini-makeovers - I hadn't really even remembered the flexhose until this discussion came up.

View attachment 508412

View attachment 508413

View attachment 508414
Little steam cleaning, a little paint on the radiator and you might surprise yourself!

that 68 dual looks awesome i am looking for one of those for my imperial

how to make an engine bay look like crap​

This is true for just about any phase of restoration. It's how a simple upgrade turns into a 3 year process.

Back