How would you honor C bodies at Carlisle?

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
How would you honor C bodies at Carlisle or any show for that matter? What would be the hook? Would you give them a building? A tent? A prime area on the field? Would you focus on a particular model? Make? Color? Engine Size?

The organizer for the Chrysler event is looking for ideas and is reaching out to the C body community. Any ideas that we can share with Ed to help make the Carlisle of 2016, the 25th anniversary, the best it can possibly be?

As many styles, colors and combinations as possible from the early full size performance cars to the last vestiges of comfort and excess. Big ones. Bold ones. Colorful ones. Mundane ones. Comfortable ones. Sexy ones.

There is the variety to C bodies just as there are to A and B bodies. Not all C bodies are green-grandpa driven-four door-grocery getters-derby donors. Chrysler made all types of vehicles through the years including a wide variety of C bodies. ALL should be represented.

Wow... That's unexpected.

It would be tough to focus on any engine or color. You could make a case for the 300, but that would (and should) take you out of the C-body realm when you go back to the fifties.

What do they usually do when they "spotlight" a car?

Youve been there John, youve probably seen several set ups. Many times they do a building with some nicest of the nice. Then give a separate close by section to a string of AAR's / Mod tops, A12s whatever the honoree is. I also believe they give a write up in their program on the feature vehicles.

I firmly believe it should be 1965 to 1978 and no bending on that. Strictly C bodies, this is the Cs time to shine. The 300s have had some notoriety . The finned / forwardlook cars have been looked at. The C body needs its day and this should be the best that we can give it.

I agree that it should be just 65-78, just C-body too. 100% on that!

I don't know how to get the "nicest of the nice" for the buildings, but a special area would be good. I think any display should have a representative(s) of each body style. (fuselage etc)

I dont think I would want any C bodies excluded... this is unlikely to be a repeated event. I haven't been there. I would think it would be a great time to educate those that dont know how diverse the C body world is. I understand there usually arent that many that attend, I think the most should be made of the event.

this is unlikely to be a repeated event.

If it goes well, I would expect this to repeat in the future. They do that with other models and that is one of the reasons a good turn out by us it important.

If it goes well, I would expect this to repeat in the future. They do that with other models and that is one of the reasons a good turn out by us it important.

I will work on bring at least one more... not sure how many doors it will have, but it will be black.

I agree that it should be just 65-78, just C-body too. 100% on that!

I don't know how to get the "nicest of the nice" for the buildings, but a special area would be good. I think any display should have a representative(s) of each body style. (fuselage etc)
No Imps then?

No Imps then?
That's a tough call and one I don't want to make.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the D body (Imperials) run from 1955-1973? That opens another can of worms.

Youve been there John, youve probably seen several set ups. Many times they do a building with some nicest of the nice. Then give a separate close by section to a string of AAR's / Mod tops, A12s whatever the honoree is. I also believe they give a write up in their program on the feature vehicles.

I firmly believe it should be 1965 to 1978 and no bending on that. Strictly C bodies, this is the Cs time to shine. The 300s have had some notoriety . The finned / forwardlook cars have been looked at. The C body needs its day and this should be the best that we can give it.

The dealership out front could be fun.

I think just modeling the same theme as they've done with other body styles in the past would be nice to see. Maybe get some V code Furys and some survivors under the big building. And some specific areas in the show field with some specific impact models being among the common rides. The mere fact that they are making an effort to recognize this line is a nice concept.

Showcase trim levels in a row...fury 1,2,3, gran,sport,vip....same with other lines from plain to loaded including power vent windows for Matt,lol,

That's a tough call and one I don't want to make.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the D body (Imperials) run from 1955-1973? That opens another can of worms.

I don't know either but I recall reading somewhere that Imperial and Chrysler models merged somewhere in the early 70's at which point they were all C Bodies. I used to have a chart but it got blown away the last time my laptop crashed.

Here is my suggestion WRT honouring our cars a separate tent(s) with nice examples from each year. First step is figure out who is definitely going and what are they bringing. Then determine who wants to volunteer to spend the weekend showing their car at that location which would presumably be central and away from the main C Body parking area. The more the merrier. While I don't think we should exclude any car because "it isn't good enough" we should be putting our best foot forward. Maybe just exclude project vehicles for this purpose and #3 cars and up should be included. One of the refreshing things about C Body owners is that most are not to anal about having trailer queens and that should be emphasized by having a broad spectrum of cars that are nice drivers and up. Since I won't be there I don't expect my opinion to count for much. I'll be there in spirit.

I don't know either but I recall reading somewhere that Imperial and Chrysler models merged somewhere in the early 70's at which point they were all C Bodies. I used to have a chart but it got blown away the last time my laptop crashed.

1974 and 75 Imperials were C-bodies.

John. Just my opinion but I've alwayz felt the Dealership at gate 1 waz too far away from the action. (If you're out there you're like ah damned orphan.) You have to leave the groundz and get your hand stamped just to go see whatz there and then get back on the groundz where all the action iz anyway. My thought would be building-T for the fine ridez and move ALL the E-Bodyz up on the hill so the rest of us riff-raffz have plenty of parkin'. That'll give us room 'tween the manufacturez midway and the perimeter. road. And look at all the new friendz we'd have in the E-body croud, WIN WIN, Jer

For you guys that don't go or haven't brought a car to Carlisle, it's not what you think.
There are designated areas for classes to park, but that's it. You may park your 67 Fury next to my 300 that's next to Dave's Polara etc. There's nobody directing you into a spot etc. Hopefully there will be some rare cars, but I've never seen a V-code Fury at Carlisle so I don't expect there will be this year.

It's my understanding that cars in tents and buildings stay in those buildings for the duration. In other words, you better have an alternate way back and forth to the hotel. Arrive a day early etc. A lot of C body guys drive their cars there so that may be an issue. It's definitely a commitment.

The fact that they are recognizing the big barges is a huge stepping stone itself.
Given the size of the cars,they may need more space to showcase them!! LOL!!

To keep things simple,I recommend categories of slab,fuselage,and formal of all marques.

Maybe have a trophy in honor of the key designer.."Elwood Engel Memorial Trophy of Excellence".
In regards to the Imperials,1967 and newer I recommend including since that is when they started sharing components with the C's.

Carlisle is on my bucket list when the Boab is on the road.

You are right about the dealership Jer. It would be out of the action, but it's also a good way to get the C-bodys in the spotlight. Probably more so than in the barns.

I really want to hear what Dave has to say.

move ALL the E-Bodyz up on the hill
Hey I don't like that idea. LOL

I think you guys should be right in the center by manufactures midway where E bodies have been last couple of years. I think the dealership would be cool but it is a hike that some don't make if they use the east side pedestrian gates. Would be a good time to shed some light on different bodies slab/fusie/formal, for the uninformed.

Last edited:
Back