How's your day

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Just a moment ago we just had our 39th earthquake of the day and 116 in the last 7 days. First day I noticed them because I was in my Danville office and they are centered within 2.2 miles of me. Never felt any at home 14 miles away. Largest was 3.5 at 16:41 today which gave the building a short, firm rap.

so it goes on the "Ring of Fire". hope its only "rattles" and not something else more foreboding.

map_plate_tectonics_worldUSGS_thumb%5B3%5D.gif

We had an earthquake in Maryland in 2011. I was at work at Aberdeen Proving Ground and I was in my government truck talking to one of my guys at a test site. All of a sudden it felt like someone was jumping up and down on the rear bumper for about 5-10 seconds. I asked the guy who I was talking to who is jumping on the rear bumper. He said no one. I got out of the truck and there wasn't a soul around. I came back to the front of the truck and asked him if he felt the ground shaking. He said he thought it was another one of my super secret tests underground (nuke blast). We don't conduct nuke detonation tests!!! He acted like it was no big deal....it was a 5.8 earthquake!

That quake came up the eastern seaboard as far as Maine.
I remember that quake and how the ground shook and where I was. They say it traveled farther here because of all the rock in the earth and how dense it is here

I was at work for that earthquake. We are on the 4th floor of an old factory. The place started rocking and rolling pretty good.

I grabbed everyone and headed outside.... I was trying to figure out when it was OK for everyone to go back in. Down the hall from us is a very well respected architectural and engineering firm. I kept my eye on them and they looked the building over and then headed back in. I figured if they figured it was safe... it was safe.

That quake did A LOT of damage to the Washington Monument in DC and they closed it for a long time until they fixed all the cracks and damage the quake caused.

Still.......I wouldn't want to be in California during a quake! They are a lot worse there!!!!

I bet it is scary. I've to CA many times and never felt one.

October 17th, 1989 Loma Prieta 6.9 magnitude.

Remember that one? If you were watching the World Series you would have seen it on TV. If I remember correctly it was just after 5:00pm PST. I was sitting in my original office in Danville, built for earthquakes, when it hit. I t lasted long enough for five of six people to run out of the office into the parking lot. That was 20 seconds and I stayed in the office sitting in my chair since I wasn't concerned.

Then as people slowly walked back in the first reports were heard that the Bay Bridge collapsed. Naturally the report implied collapsed when it was only a section of the bridge. Right off I knew I wouldn't be going back to my flat in the City my usual way. So I headed over to my parents house in Orinda, 12 miles west of Danville, on the east side of the Oakland/Berkeley Hills to watch the TV. Saw what happened to the double deck freeway in Oakland which I had driven hundreds of times before. Also watched the fires in the Marina District as the buildings, with garage spaces below, collapsed on themselves. Some did not get out there.

So around 11:00pm I get on the road and head on 80N past Berkeley to get to the Richmond Bridge into Marin County. From there past San Quentin I get to 101S and the Golden Gate Bridge. As I cross the bridge I can see a black void where the Marina District was. No power so no lights. Could smell burnt wood in the air. Across the bridge I exit into The Presidio and take the back way into the Richmond District where I live. This flat is a two story building built in 1918. In the garage one can see that the timbers used are extremely substantial. When I walked in the only place that showed anything was the kitchen. Every wall cabinet had it's doors flung open. Yet, get this, a top shelf with margarita glasses stacked two high nary a one moved much less fell.

The next day I didn't go to my office since it would mean driving down the Peninsula to get to the San Mateo Bridge in order to get across to hook up with 580E and then 680N to Danville for one month. So I walked around my neighborhood. Many cracked brick staircases that led up to the typical District home and flat. More scary were the three story buildings, on a corner, which were faced with brick and all the brick fell to the street. Imagine passing by on a Saturday at that time. I know I passed by many times on many weekends.

However, my first introduction to California happened to be two months after we arrived at what was the far west end of the San Fernando Valley in June 1966. The place is totally different today although the reservoir land across the street from our house is still open land. Here in August the weather turned hot and windy as the Santa Anna winds whipped down the valley's from the east. They originated from the direction of Arizona and move west over the mountains and then rush down the slopes. Speed and compression heat them up. Dust is tremendous and it is no fun cleaning a swimming pool after one. Anyway humidity drops to single digits and the winds can reach hurricane force at times.

So this fire is making it's way to our new house. Soon it is only a mile away and our street is filling up with emergency vehicles. I'm on the roof, only 12, watering down those damn shake shingles. Luckily I can jump off the roof into our swimming pool. Next thing I know there is a stranger in the house moving stuff out into the cars. Father's co-worker I learn. The cars got so packed that only the driver could fit. Brilliant! Fortunately the fire line held 150 yards up the block and a few houses got their backside singed only. Was never in L.A. for an earthquake the two years I lived there.

the world keeps turnin..and movin' via plate techtonics.

fascinating scientific topic -- minus the terrible havoc it wreaks on us (earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, etc) for however long we occupy the planet.:sad10:

how they think it was 200M years ago: good evidence in the rocks. The Palisades in NY are the same rocks found in NW Africa today, same for Antarctica and Australia, etc.

5f0LTtm.jpg

the extrapolation of plate movement 150M years from now. africa completely bulldozed Europe, what was California underwater and moved way north, Britain pushed into the Arctic Circle, string of volcanic islands off east coast of US, etc

19F150v4.jpg

I always love when people start talking about being scared of the idea of earthquakes.

I'm born and raised in California.

The first earthquake that experienced was the 1971 Sylmar one that was a 12 sec 6.6 at 6:00am, at 8 years old I wasn't scared.

Next up was the Whittier earthquake in 1987 at 7:40am, I had just got off the freeway and the car felt like it was running real bad, I come to find out I just drove through an earthquake, dang I missed one.

In 1994 the Northridge earthquake shoke for 10-20 sec at 6.7

2003 Cambria 6.6

These are just the ones that hit the news, outside this maybe a dozen smaller ones that are enough to make you notice.

So in 50+ years to only go through 4 notable earthquakes I'd say is pretty good, outsiders act like they are daily occurrences when in fact they are quite rare. The people in tornado alley are far more likely to get hit by a tornado, same with hurricanes. I'll take tose odds any day of the week.

So unless you are at the heart of the earthquake they are not an issue.

Alan

not a launching a debate..just adding to the thread a view from Tornado Alley :icon_cheese:

i grew up in Kansas. Lived through an F5 tornado that tore through Topeka KS. June 8, 1966. remember it like it was yesterday. Hot day, late afternoon dead calm (dust rising from the streets but no wind, no birds, no dogs barking), then "green" sky, and 15 minutes later sheer terror.

no doubt big tornadoes/storms/floods have much greater damage-causing frequency than big quakes (although i read there are millions of earthquakes every year but most are inconsequential).

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

and surely growing up in Kansas versus California, my biases may be obvious and understandable. but to me there is something that seems really unsettling when the ground underneath your feet is literally moving: ya cant hide, cant run, cant really be warned in advance, etc.

I experienced three "baby" quakes: in 1980 and 1986 in Michigan, and I was in Tokyo during a 4.4 about 10 years ago (jet-lagged and slept right through it but it rearranged a few things in my hotel room).

these big quakes also interrupt the earth's rotation..literally stopping/slowing (albiet briefly) the spin of the planet. nothing quite like that from any other natural planetary event. add a tsunami on top of that, and now 500,000 people can get killed.

in a way, big quakes are like plane crashes to me...infrequent, no warning, etc, but when they go down usually a LOT of people go with them, under unimaginable conditions sometimes before the terrible event concludes.

RankDeath toll (estimate)EventLocationDate
11,000,000–4,000,000*1931 China floodsChinaJuly, August, 1931
2900,000–2,000,0001887 Yellow River floodChinaSeptember, October, 1887
3830,0001556 Shaanxi earthquakeChinaJanuary 23, 1556
4450,000 (242,000–655,000)1976 Tangshan earthquakeChinaJuly 28, 1976
5375,000 (250,000–500,000)1970 Bhola cycloneEast Pakistan (now Bangladesh)November 13, 1970
6300,0001839 India cycloneIndiaNovember 25, 1839
7300,0001737 Calcutta cycloneIndiaOctober 7, 1737
8280,0002004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunamiIndian OceanDecember 26, 2004
9273,4001920 Haiyuan earthquakeChinaDecember 16, 1920
10250,000–300,000526 Antioch earthquakeByzantine Empire (now Turkey)May 526

looking at Wiki table above (5 of 10 worst quake related), AND having said all that, i think i would take quake risks OVER tornado risks

plus California has nice weather and wonderful sunsets, and I always look forward to visiting the state with NO fear of quakes at all. :icon_pirat:

Back