HP stamp on engine block

jymy

Reaction score
Does it automatically mean that '69 Chrysler 300 engine block is 350 hp version, if there is no HP2 stamp on the block? My fender tag says it's TNT versiob (E86) but there is no HP2 stamp, so maybe previous owner has swapped the engine? Don't know the VIN number of this block because seems to be difficult to see it. Here's the stamp area of the block and I can see it's '69 block though.

2014-11-02 18.06.17.jpg

Nothing is certain as it was people that were hand stamping these blocks but the vin number should be stamped down on the passenger side under the mount above the pan rail on a machined pad.

E86 is an HP motor for 1969 according to Galen Govier's code book. I agree that the only way to tell whether the block is original is to jack the car and see whether the number on the pad at RS oil pan rail matches the last 6 digits of the VIN. If the block is original, somebody probably just neglected to stamp it. BTW, HP2 means HP, second shift. HP with no number means first shift. There's no difference between HP and HP2 except which shift at the factory built the engine.

Thänks, that´s great info. Seems that I need crawl under the car and check that engine VIN stamp.

what is the SPD on the fender tag of your car?
The assembly date is stamped on the engine and gives an indication, too

Carsten

Hi,

that is not a good sign.
The stamping says the rotating assembly was done on 19th december.
About three months before the SPD.
Usually if there was nothing stuck in production or delayed it should be around three weeks before SPD.
But make sure to check it on the block above the oilpan on the passenger side.

Good luck

Carsten

Thanks Carsten, this gives certain indication and I´ve my doubts that the engine has been swapped at some point. But need to check that VIN stamp.

Thanks Carsten, this gives certain indication and I´ve my doubts that the engine has been swapped at some point. But need to check that VIN stamp.

While your down there checking the engine VIN, you might check the trans number also. It's on a raised, machined pad on the bell housing area on the passenger side also. Same number as VIN is original.
Will.

If there is NO stamping on the top of the block (where it should be) it is a factory replacement engine.

Back