I Am Absolutely Done With 1978 Wiper Cams

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely done with 1978 FN wiper cams.....

The damn wiper cam crumbled and fell apart as I was installing it. I wouldn't try to put one in if you gave me a 1000 of those damn things!!!

I'm going with the 74-77 wiper cam setup. I just have to find a 2 speed set up.

I'm absolutely done with that FN 1978 bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, that's the second person to get really upset today.
Maybe we should all go to bed and not get out till tomorrow.

That really, really sucks, Bob. I could hear you cursing all the way down here.
Oh well, ain't this a fun and relaxing hobby?...:BangHead:

I didn't even take the POS assembly apart. I sprayed it with a lot of WD-40 and it was rotating freely. It literally crumbled and fell apart. I'm done!!!!

Huge bummer!!! Aluminum machines pretty much just like hardwood, grab a chunk of it and start fabbing your own but be careful not to lose any fingers!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that the part didn't pan out. Is your wiper motor bad too, or is it just the wiper linkage? If so , it's actually really easy to swap to reliable 74-77 linkage, yet keep the delay wiper.

That's my plan. The 78 motor works fine. I'm going to swap a 74-77 2 speed wiper motor arm that bolts to the wiper motor and the 1st linkage rod to the driver side pivot. I don't see why it won't work. Might be a problem with the park position. I'll figure that out once I have the parts bolted up. BTW, I have the 78 wiper motor from the donor car on the way too. Bad day today!

If someone can get me one thats intact I can see if I can get them made. I deal with about 80 machine shops on a daily basis.

I would give a million dollars to go back in time and whomp some engineer upside the head and say WTF were you thinking on so many of these dumb things I see.

< Sent from my tablet >

I fixed mine.... They work LFN. Bloom-20130111-00451.jpgBloom-20130111-00458.jpg Thank you.. Thank you very much.:smileinbox: :70s_rule:

Bloom-20130111-00451.jpg

Bloom-20130111-00458.jpg

Lucky for me I didn't have a hammer handily available today.

Nice little piece of fabricating!
One thing I don't understand.
Does that repair replace the '78 cam or does it allow the use of the 74-77 cam?

13zo043.jpg
eqoxlg.jpg

.......................................................................................
!B-DgeO!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEzKC8V8z2BM7lljB9Jw~~0_12.JPG

Last edited:
Yes and Yes. I used the '78 wiper crank arm, and welded a '77 arm to it. Eliminating the '78 cam.

Back