I finished building my 69 fury dash Tach today

Well I guess anything is possible but for now all I can do is tell you how I did it. The stainless steel button on the needle was a real pain in the butt to find. I had to buy a house clock and remove it off that. My wife was none to happy about me parting out her new wall clock. Lol

Great job !!!!!! :thumbsup:

Very impressive .............

So what's the next project gonna be ???

"RECALL WHEELS"
:lol:

Your 69 Sport Fury Vert is just over the top !!!!

especially with the top down :steering:
HA HA Recall wheels to match my recall 67 charger steering wheel. It makes me think. I heard that they reproduce those rims now but I have become very accustomed to the road wheels I have. There just the right kind of bling on the car.

Letraset is a dry transfer labeling product used to label prototypes and custom things like your tach. Basically it is a sheet of letters etc that you transfer to your work, letter by letter using burnishing stick to move the letter from the transfer to your work piece. Once all labels are in place you apply a light overspray of krylon protection spray. Krylon is a super handy clear protective spray. Anyway, back when I hand built a lot of electronic hardware I used a lot of Letraset and Krylon to professionally label all the controls, meters, etc.

962B3AD4-9204-4760-BF4B-BBF401BC0FBD.jpeg
What did you use for the Tach machinery Marlow?
I used the smallest tach I could find at the time it was a 2 1/2” Tach. Since then I found this 2” tach and that’s what I would recommend.its smaller and easier to work with. The needle sweep is correct for the 0-60 sweep. You just mount it with a bit of a turn till you have the proper sweep start. I don’t worry about going over 5,000 rpm let alone hitting 8,000

Last edited:
I’m not wiring up the lights inside the tach because they are not needed. I want to use the original dash lighting that shines down onto the gauges and switches. I want to keep all lighting original, with working time delay Courtesy light And the main dash lights.

Job well done. Nice work, reproducing a rare part.

A reproduction is good option when you can't find an original tachometer. I always would prefer original equipment if it's available.

Although sometimes originals are quite expensive,..if you look you can find one at reasonable prices. One recently sold on eBay for around $300. I have seem them as high as $850.

The top picture is of an original Ma Mopar tach. The next 2 pictures are of the Tach I made. I polished up the clear lens with the same optical grade rubbing compound I use on my paint . It works extremely well on plastics such as gauge cluster clear plastics , signal light lens and tail lights lens
5C79401B-A50D-41AB-84A6-4AE6B9C47C9B.jpeg
449C5C8E-D292-4DD4-9E0E-E9904F056262.jpeg
9C194C33-DE9B-45C5-A9E5-88BA9200328D.jpeg

Job well done. Nice work, reproducing a rare part.

A reproduction is good option when you can't find an original tachometer. I always would prefer original equipment if it's available.

Although sometimes originals are quite expensive,..if you look you can find one at reasonable prices. One recently sold on eBay for around $300. I have seem them as high as $850.
I agree with you. I just haven’t seen one at a reasonable price yet.

This is the chemical Guys optical compound I use on all of my plastics and paint. With a couple of pictures of the polishing pads I use with a drill on the small pieces. I can’t say enough about how nicely this product works.
1C41F3A9-AC0D-4BA8-BA5F-65820C9083B3.jpeg
FB968C51-D574-416F-9DBE-3A8D83A4DC2F.jpeg
35175B20-67C9-4C85-A596-3EEB77C6039A.png

Last edited:
Very nicely done, I've been thinking of doing that for a while. Of course thinking and doing are very different. In my mind it was going to turn out just like yours. It's nice to have seen someone else do it and do it extremely successfully. I'm suprized you've only had one request to have one made. And while your stated cost was 300$, you also stated two other professional individuals contributions on top of your own contributions, planning, and time. Patience is a virtue few can afford, much like original tachs. However there is power in numbers, if say 10-12 members were interested, you could perhaps break even, possibly make a few bucks and help some folks out? Thanks for the show and tell!

First off I want to say thanks for the compliments and encouragement ,it means a lot coming from like minded individuals. I never thought of mass producing these tachs but one never knows where life may take them. The graphics for the face and the needle can be manufactured with relative ease now that I have had it done And that’s the start of the recipe !The hard part was mounting the tach on the back of the clock about an inch lower than where the main clock body was and doing a professional job That everyone would be proud to own. I’m not totally there with that part yet . My tach is good enough for me but I don’t think it is for paying customers. The next part is the 2”Tach. I was only able to source 2 locally for $20 each both of which I used. Then believe it or not was finding a suitable stainless or chrome button for the needle , I would be sleeping in the garage for the rest of the summer if I parted out all my wife’s wall clocks for the center button on the clock face. For me I take on these projects in the winter months when I have the time , beer and patients. When our short summer arrives I’m Outside soaking it in. Family and work have a way of side tracking good intentions. That being said I have no problem helping someone convert a clock to a tach. Ideally a 3D printed adapter plate from the tach to the back of the clock body is what’s needed for a professional job , it’s the missing link in my opinion. If I owned a 3D printer then it would be easy to make an adapter plate. For now I’m going to say i’m Not mass producing them YET but I will help anyone who wants to do the conversion the best I can.

BD84C2C7-F598-4384-84DE-B853AE64CE70.png
Here is a picture of the outfit that 3D prints the tach needle. I thought it was great quality at a great price. You have to forgive me I don’t know how to copy and paste address and such yet on a phone or computer, I just know how to take pictures and work with my hands

They produced the needle fast and had it to me in 4 days. They are also working on some other Mopar tach backing plates just not the one I need because I don’t have a pattern for them yet.

Back