Iggy is here, looking up her skirt.

Now I get why you're after re-chromed bumpers. Both cars look great.

@My65cuda Looks amazing. What is this ceramic coating that you speak of?

What was the process on the Imperials to cut and buff the paint? Would appreciate a synopsis if you don't mind sharing... I've been debating how to buff out the original paint on my NY for years now and keep learning about new methods.

Thanks, 73

It's a complex process. I have a team of guys that do it. The use various buffing compounds depending on the type of paint. You can look up Cquartz dealers in your area. They have to be certified. I'm not saying you have to use their products, but the dealers should be able to advise you on the best way to revive your paint.

Thanks, what is the type of paint on the Imps that you determined? I heard somewhere that the OEM paint on mopars of the area was acrylic enamel. But I have never got a positive ID on the stuff...

Have the seats out of both. At the interior shop to see how close they can match the original. Red was really worn, on iggy, just the driver seat. Easier to take him everything since it's a 45 min drive and let him make it right. Seats needed stuffing.

9F89A831-BBD0-44DB-9345-88C4F7170CF5.jpeg

63CDDF11-BFDA-41ED-A4F9-5A33BC56A7B7.jpeg

I might replace the blue carpet, depending on how long it would take to get. The black carpet has been replaced at some point. Might throw some sound deadening down while all of this out.

Might throw some sound deadening down while all of this out.

One question I have pondered is how much of the sound insulation material has frittered away and lost its effectiveness. As @saforwardlook has noted, Imperials were especially well sound insulated at birth--so I wonder.

The factory sound deadening was decent in the 73 models and the trunk barrier was probably the best of them. I believe adding similar more modern insulation that is lighter than the asphaltic trunk barrier and more effective would always help further, especially up in the inside firewall area and in the floors of the passenger compartment, and maybe even in the doors. Quiet to me means excellence.

Last edited:
^^Hey Steve....They both have nice steering wheels!!! LOL!

Well, from what we can see they do. I am sure Mike could have them redone if they are not fully without cracks or the rimblow doesn't work.

Last edited:
Back