Ignition cylinder removal / replacement 1971 Imperial

jet1969

Reaction score
Could you please help me out how to get the old ignition cylinder out and a new one in for an imperial 1971. Is there somewhere a step by step methode or videoclip somewhere (youtube?) or a link to this topic? I was searching on this platform but could not find a thread. Thanks for helping me out

We will need to know if you have a standard column or a tilt/telescopic.

Cylinder replacement is different between the two.

Jeff

I think there is a special tool to hold the tilt/telescope springs from flying apart. Not sure if there is a work-around.

It sounds like you don’t have a service manual for your car either.

Yes I have the car service manual with steps to follow ( chapter 19-50) but it didn’t work very well. So that’s why I asked for suggestions, tricks, video clips, links to get a good result.

The tilt/telescopic column that Chrysler used was made by General Motors. This video of replacing the ignition cylinder on a 1975 Cadillac should be pretty close to what you need to know. This guy doesn't have a lock plate depressor tool, so he uses a little trick with the steering wheel puller to get around not having the special tool.

Jeff

Great , thanks for the video. Just managed to get the cylinder out, was completely stuck. Wd40 and all your help did it

Back