Ignition Puzzle

Thomas

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Chrysler 300 with a 440T engine. I recently replaced the points distributor with a new Summit Racing electronic distributor. The car ran great for 6 months. Now something is draining the battery. When the battery drops below 12.4 volts my Brake light and Cold light come on without the key in the ignition. The car will start but will not shut off with out pulling the coil wire. If the battery is above 12.4 volts the car starts and shuts off like it should and none of the dash lights are on without the key.
I am looking for suggestions as to where to look to solve this puzzle.

I have a 1971 Chrysler 300 with a 440T engine. I recently replaced the points distributor with a new Summit Racing electronic distributor. The car ran great for 6 months. Now something is draining the battery. When the battery drops below 12.4 volts my Brake light and Cold light come on without the key in the ignition. The car will start but will not shut off with out pulling the coil wire. If the battery is above 12.4 volts the car starts and shuts off like it should and none of the dash lights are on without the key.
I am looking for suggestions as to where to look to solve this puzzle.

Might be a dirty / corroded bulkhead connector ?

There are excellent videos on Youtube on tracing shorts. Using a multi meter & pulling one fuse at a time. Easy to find the circuit. Not so easy to fix it sometimes. Don't be intimidated. Use the method I am referring to. Watch the video(s) a few times & you be surprised how quick you found the bad circuit. One little tip. Make sure your brake light switch isn't stuck. Find that a lot on older cars

Back