Imperial power windows

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
On my new ragtop, I have a bit of a problem with all four power windows (the power vent windows are fine). Only the LR window goes down, but needs assistance getting up...and it's very, very slow in both directions. The other three just sit and smile, while not doing anything. No hum of the motors, no noticeable twitch in the ammeter to indicate a power draw, no nothing. I've tried the windows from both their individual switches and from the driver's door set of switches, and nothing happens.

So, it could be the motors, the switches, or simply gummed-up window regulators, is what my mind is telling me. Any ideas? Anyone actually remove/replace a pw motor in a '64 - '66 Imperial?

Anyone have a '66 FSM for sale???

Are you getting good continuity in your switches? Power?
I had to remake up all my connections going to my switches with bullet butt connectors. Worked out pretty well. Once I did that, the window that was slow went right up.

I'm going to work that this week. I've found three motors, but I want to avoid spending the money unless I have to.

Sounds like a continuity problem to me. You are probably getting power to the main switch if any of the windows working.

I would start by establishing that I have good battery and alternator output voltage and amperage first. Then, I would check the grounds to the body and the doors. I would then proceed to checking power on the main driver's switch first. If it has power, then check power to the individual switches. If you have good continuity to the individual switches, then I would jump the motors directly to see if they work.

I've found that the connectors in the harness are the typical culprits to inop windows.

I have aver had motors with bad windings that would work intermittently and then get stuck in the full up or down position so your motors may be stuck or just bad. But, they are usually the last part to fail.

I know the above is slow and tedious but it is really the only way to do it I know of that will definitely chase down the problem.

Best of luck! Let us know what it is when you find it.

Back