Impster - the big&white

Today´s visit (again) included sanding, but also I painted the trunk partially with primer and the metal surrounding the license plate lamp, so I can assemble the whole panel that has also the reverse lights mounted to it.
I failed to hold the camera correctly, but still:

13.1.2019 001.jpg

13.1.2019 003.jpg

13.1.2019 008.jpg

13.1.2019 011.jpg

13.1.2019 013.jpg

13.1.2019 020.jpg

Today´s visit (again) included sanding, but also I painted the trunk partially with primer and the metal surrounding the license plate lamp, so I can assemble the whole panel that has also the reverse lights mounted to it.
I failed to hold the camera correctly, but still:

View attachment 245874

View attachment 245875

View attachment 245876

View attachment 245877

View attachment 245878

View attachment 245879

That looks great, white is the best color you can work with when painting, it’s very forgiving and hides minor imperfections.

That looks great, white is the best color you can work with when painting, it’s very forgiving and hides minor imperfections.

That´s partly true. Even white has a lot of different shades and I have´t posted pics of the rocker panels, which are painted with a mismatching paint. They don´t stick out, but when the observer leans to get a closer look, they are clearly visible. Well, more winters will come, so they´ll get the right white some day.

Then there is the wrong master switch panel, stupid Holley, etc.
Now Impster has no vent switches on the left front door, I just hate the Holley with its manual choke, a matt black air cleaner from Mancini Racing would fit better... I think that I can repair her before I have the money to get another 72-73 Imp.

Last edited:
I try not to think of everything that needs done all at once. I might get overwhelmed at the thought.:confused:

Here it´s like ``this and that this winter and some of the other things in the next winter.``

I thought it was ´70. This case needs further investigating.

Perhaps the axle/brake assembly is not as it was on this car: when it left the factory? Wouldn’t the 73 Imperial Factory Service Manual address this?

That´s possible.

So in the auto industry, there is a time limit to getting a new design complete. Styling comes up with a ‘certain look’, engineering says ‘yes we can do that’, vehicle program executives say ‘ok build this’, accounting says ‘you can only spend this much to develop it’, and supplier sourcing (purchasing) has to go out and get the parts made by a supplier company, at a given price. And of course, a supplier company has their own internal food chain doing the same thing ‘make sure it only costs X to make this, so we can sell it at Y, and have a profit of Z’.

So...as a car manufacturer, if possible it makes sense to keep only one type of motor for all the different types of “hide-away” headlights you might be selling. It’s called ‘economies of scale’ = if you buy more of just one single type of widget from me, as a headlight motor supplier, say, 10000 widgets instead of just 2500, I’ll then sell to you at a better price, because that means I only have to build one type, and can in turn get a better deal from my sub-suppliers. Same reason why people buy large boxes of clothes detergent at the grocery store. It’s cheaper, long term.

But maybe one particular car model has a heavier headlight cover set than another car model, so you as the car manufacturer want to make sure that this one type of motor you are buying for both your Monaco and your Imperial is going to have enough torque to get the job done for either model. Especially if the headlight cover is covered with snow and ice out there in the cold cruel world, and is then a little heavier than normal. So maybe you buy a higher torque motor from your supplier. It costs a little more at the upper end of the budget accounting gave you to spend, per unit purchased, but you buy LOTS of them. For all models. And maybe you blow your budget on the motor and don’t have any pennies to spare for adding some nice rubber cushion for the headlight to softly stop against. So, unfortunately, it goes “clunk”. But you tell your line executive during the vehicle review prior to the production launch that the clunk is a safety feature so people can tell while driving the car that the headlight cover is fully down. And he says but won’t they know anyway since they either will or will not have headlights? And you say yes that’s true but there is a possibility it was only partly open and besides that I did get a good deal on the price on that motor because we bought in BULK. And he is then satisfied with that answer. And you’re an engineer, and your motor-headlight design met your cost target, and your headlight assembly passed winter cold weather Testing in Fairbanks, or Nome, or wherever, so you’re happy. Until some magazine writer complains about the noise. On a design that is going to change in a few months anyway. But it’s ok, because no Customer is complaining about the headlight covers not opening during a blizzard. So nobody dies in a snowstorm due to a lack of headlights. And that’s a good thing, because otherwise Ralph Nader haunts your dreams.

That’s how stuff works. Generally speaking. Hypothetically of course.

Perhaps the axle/brake assembly is not as it was on this car: when it left the factory? Wouldn’t the 73 Imperial Factory Service Manual address this?

It was finished November 21. I confess that I have only the body service manual at this time. A CSM will be ticked off from the bucket list some time.

I just reassembled the reverse/license plate light assembly, but think it´s worthy of pics when installed to the car.

Your trunk looks really solid, were you having a problem with water leaking into it? It should last a long time now that it's coated, good job.

Your trunk looks really solid, were you having a problem with water leaking into it? It should last a long time now that it's coated, good job.

No water, but a lot of surface rust. I still have to detach the Sure-Brake controller, to see the possible rust behind it. It´s maybe the rear A/C, which has caused the corrosion there.

I had similar surface rust issues in the trunk floor of a 70 Newport, 35 years ago. Humidity. Age. It just happens.

Back