Impster - the big&white

I´ll get a box today or buy it tomorrow if needed, so they will get on the way Wednesday.

Today didn´t went like it was planned. The thermostat/ temperature sensor housing of Sebring has been leaking, so dad wanted to borrow his father-in-law´s car. I don´t say what it is! We had just arrived to the yard of the garage, when I asked: ``Dad, where´s the tool box?`` It was in the Sebring.:BangHead:

Any way, we sanded the roof, took out the rear seat and installed the door panel (almost). We took the right rear safety belt out, because it was twisted so badly that it wasn´t moving.

Then Jari gave me two parts books from Mac´s Auto Parts to see what´s reproduced.
``Mac´s serves GM/FoMoCo guys``, I said.
``Oh true, yours is a Dodge``, he answered.:lol:

We found pieces of the broadcast sheet and based on them, he said that Impster has been built on November 21, which is interesting, because I´m born on November 11.

Interior 002.JPG

Interior 005.JPG

Interior 007.JPG

Interior 008.JPG

Interior 010.JPG

Interior 011.JPG

Interior 012.JPG

I figured out, how to get the left C-pillar pillow back to its place. It should be easy now, because the interior panel under it is taken out and the pillow is supposed to be attached to it with metallic clips.

Today I took trim away, so I could take the vinyl top off with dad´s help. Now the headlight covers work even better due to a plastic ring to prevent closing with clanking sounds(still loud in a closed building), but they move a bit slow before charging the battery. Before leaving the garage, the back seat got its share of leather cleaner. The hoses behind it are part of the rear A/C.

interior 003.JPG

interior 006.JPG

interior 009.JPG

interior 010.JPG

interior 012.JPG

This time I sanded the sides to get rid of little scratches here and there as well as the C-pillar to remove rust. Attaching the door panel wasn´t really successful because the clips were either far away from the holes or fell to the floor. Any way, I got the ground cable right. :D
Some parts I brought to home, so I can get them reassembled/redone here.

Imp 001.JPG

Imp 003.JPG

Imp 004.JPG

Imp 007.JPG

The left fender skirt did get rid of grey dots and other minor blemishes all over it and its trim seems to be in need of new black paint. These are ``before`` shots:

fender skirt 001.JPG

fender skirt 002.JPG

fender skirt 003.JPG

fender skirt 008.JPG

Today: grinding the C-pillars, sanding the right front fender, drying the radiator to see if it leaks and taking the right front wheel out to check the brake.
A positive surprise was the front suspension; someone has replaced all ball joints, though anti sway bar bushings look rough. A question for the wiser members: is it normal that the front brake rotor has two grooves on it? Sorry, no pics of the brake at this moment.

For @MonacoBlue there is the vent control cable on the bottom pic, to which I referred to on your thread.

Imp 12.1..2019 035.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 041.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 045.jpg

Imp 12.1..2019 017.jpg

Today we did catch one of our friends (Jari) sleeping in his 61 Ford Galaxie Sunliner after a hard sauna night. He helped us and now the headlight cover motor operates just as it´s supposed to. We also aligned the cover a bit better than they were before. The RH unit will be better after we get something in between the bolt and its attaching point, so won´t make clanking sound when closing (originally there´s been a nylon ring). I put leather cleaner to the front seat and took a look under the dash. It´s so horrible that my camera didn´t want to work properly. I thought that someone would like to see rubber boobs.:lol:

View attachment 239651

View attachment 239652

View attachment 239653

View attachment 239654

View attachment 239655

View attachment 239656

View attachment 239657

View attachment 239658
Those look to be the same rubber bumperettes as go on my Monaco! I need a new right hand one.

I think that I´ve seen them on eBay a few times for about $200-300 a pair, not sure though.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your progress. You're doing a great job, keep it up :thumbsup:
I think that I´ve seen them on eBay a few times for about $200-300 a pair, not sure though.
Are you serious? Holy cow, I'd have never guessed. I took mine off, really don't care for them much.
20180328_113148.jpg

And yeah those headlight doors really slam shut. I believe in that time period most vehicles in the corporation shared the same electric motor, so I imagine they all act that way. I know my 72 Monaco does.

Thanks for sharing pictures of your progress. You're doing a great job, keep it up :thumbsup:

Are you serious? Holy cow, I'd have never guessed. I took mine off, really don't care for them much.View attachment 245549
And yeah those headlight doors really slam shut. I believe in that time period most vehicles in the corporation shared the same electric motor, so I imagine they all act that way. I know my 72 Monaco does.

Yep, I´m serious about the price and mine will stay on the car, because they add that special ``73-only`` character to it.
Working will stop in May for cruising around every now and then.:)

In the Age of Analog, people liked it when stuff closed with a loud, definite “THUNK”. There was no doubt it was closed. It was confidence inspiring. Reassuring.

If you could say that to Uncle McCahill, who stated that the thunk is irritating back in the years when Fusies were new.
Maybe reading the road tests did get me to think that they should operate quietly, though the exhaust sound is not toning down.

If you could say that to Uncle McCahill, who stated that the thunk is irritating back in the years when Fusies were new.
Maybe reading the road tests did get me to think that they should operate quietly, though the exhaust sound is not toning down.
Perhaps he was just too picky.

Back