Interior screw kits?

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to see interior screw kits on eBay? I cannot seem to find them. I do see quantities of assorted sizes.

I need a few replacement ones, and Am not seeming to be looking in the right places locally.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Thanks, That is where I saw them.

I had him re-chrome my plastic dash panels about 7 or 8 years ago. Decent job on the re-chrome but had to send them back as they chromed the whole middle section like a 67 and so they could finish the detailing for the control labels. The detailing for the control labels came back sloppy. I figured I could re do the detailing better myself.
They also lost the cover that goes over the radio fader hole. He attempted to make a new one out of old dash panel. I wasn’t real happy with the results. So I bought a NOS fader control an will put in rear speakers.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks, That is where I saw them.

I had him re-chrome my plastic dash panels about 7 or 8 years ago. Decent job on the re-chrome but had to send them back as they chromed the whole middle section like a 67 and so they could finish the detailing for the control labels. The detailing for the control labels came back sloppy. I figured I could re do the detailing better myself.
They also lost the cover that goes over the radio fader hole. He attempted to make a new one out of old dash panel. I wasn’t real happy with the results. So I bought a NOS fader control an will put in rear speakers.
View attachment 151016

View attachment 151015
I just read the other day that he is out of the plastic "plating" business.

I believe that with some of the newer “chrome” paints you could do a decent job on Plastic with out a a complex process.

I believe that with some of the newer “chrome” paints you could do a decent job on Plastic with out a a complex process.

I'm looking at something called "Spaz Stix" paint for this. Basically paint a gloss black and then a translucent silver over the top.

The plastic "plating" always looks cheesy to me most of the time anyway, so this might be perfect.

I'm looking at something called "Spaz Stix" paint for this. Basically paint a gloss black and then a translucent silver over the top.

The plastic "plating" always looks cheesy to me most of the time anyway, so this might be perfect.

I used some on my plastic dash. It did not stick worth crap. The silver was not anywhere as shiny as some videos I watched.

I'll concede, I may have not prepped the bezel properly. I sanded all the loose paint off till smooth, then wiped with mineral spirits.

Your results may differ.

- Try not to get silver paint on everything-

A lot of the earlier plastic re-chrome was too shiny, when compared to the factory finish (more satiny). More like "show chrome" on a bumper. That particular vendor has "a history" I know about. I remember when he started doing the screw kits. He was going to Mopar Nats and looking at cars to see what they needed, to do the kits. A neat thing in some respects, but I never did quality control check him, though.

The Chrysler parts book has a section "Standard Parts" (or at least that's what GM calls them) that is nuts, bolts, washers, etc. with factory part numbers and descriptions. Probably nothing available today, but at least specs and descriptions to ask for from the nut/bolt/screw vendors.

CBODY67

Plastic plating back in 2009.
F100_dash_01.jpg
F100_dash_04.JPG
F100_dash_02.jpg
rsz_f100_66_dash_01.jpg

A lot of the earlier plastic re-chrome was too shiny, when compared to the factory finish (more satiny). More like "show chrome" on a bumper.

I think it may be the difference in how the plastic is plated.

It's my understanding that the 60's factory pieces used a vacuum metalizing process. The other method (and I suspect that was used in the Ford dash pics) is actual electroplating.

Vacuum metalizing involves heating aluminum in a vacuum chamber until it boils and the aluminum condenses on the plastic. Electroplating plastic is done by coating the plastic so that it becomes conductive and then you can plate by the same process as you would a metal part. Those are real simplified descriptions and there's much more to the processes than I want to type out. Google is your friend if you want to know more.

The two methods both make the part "shiny", but I like the slightly satin look that the factory pieces had.

The factory items (to me) didn't really look satiny until they were put against the re-chromed items then the re-done items really looked more like bumper show chrome. The bumper show chrome is brighter and shiner than the OEM chrome, too, by observation.

The GM OEM vendor for the '79 Camaro grilles were said to use a then-new process on those grille bars. "Sputtering", which had very good durability. There's another process that can be purchased to use for plastic chroming which I found online a year or so ago. "At home" if you get set up for it, I believe.

CBODY67

Back