Introduction of 1971MonacoGuy

1971MonacoGuy

Reaction score
Hi all...I'm new here! I have been a fan of 1969-1971 C bodies since they were new in the showrooms (I was 10 years old in 1969 and those fuselage styled big boys made a deep impression on me as the coolest looking cars of that year).The 1970 and 71s became my lasting favorites. Dad bought a 1971 Monaco 2 dr hardtop in June of 1971 from the local Dodge dealer. That became my favorite car of all time. Dad traded it, in 1976, for a different make. I still want that 71 Monaco!

Ahh, you have excellent taste! I have one of those that I am going to restore. Your story sounds a lot like mine. I was only 22 when the fuselage C bodies came on the showroom floors and I was amazed at how nice they looked. It was a complete departure almost from anything preceeding it. Along with the 1971 Monacos, I also have favorites including the 1969-1971 Chrysler 300s, the 1969 and similar Imperials, and really all the 1969-73 Monacos. And the 1970-1 Sport Fury GTs are in that category too. Nothing has been made since that I have liked as much. But I also have a real like for the Forward Look cars too. Welcome aboard! There is much to like here.

71dod03b.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg

Thanks! I agree 1969-71 Chrysler 300s are on my favorite list too (every time I watch first season episodes of Marcus Welby MD I love seeing his blue Chrysler 300 which I believe was a 1969). I also have the 1971 Chrysler New Yorker on my favorite list (something very attractive about the front end with those round headlamps in black square frames and massive chrome loop bumper). No photos exist of my dad's 1971 Monaco. It was white (code EW1) with a black vinyl roof. When he traded in 1976 it only had 37,000 miles. I was really disappointed when he traded it on one of those ostentatious, lumpy looking 1976 Mercury Marquis sedans.

Monacos, especially 71s are scarce. Are you hunting for dad's old car, searching to replace it with any 71 or simply joining us to reminisce?

I joined to become acquainted with C body fans and read their stories and comments as well as planning to locate a decent, non modified 1970 or 71 Monaco or alternately a 1971 New Yorker in late 2017 as repairs/restoration to our house have $ priority during the next year.

Welcome aboard!

1971 Monaco 2d ht are rare cars today. I am lucky to own one. A low mileage triple black car with 440 engine.

There was some time ago for sale in Florida a white 1971 Monaco with black vinyl roof and burgundy interior, DH23N1F111282. It was at first for sale $2.5k, but soon later price was increased to $ 6.5k.

1971 Dodge Monaco 2 Door Hard Top 383 HP Cuda Challenger Charger Road Runner

Thanks for all the friendly welcome messages! Yep I know my search for a 71 Monaco 2 dr may put me to task next year but I think the search will be interesting and I'm not in any hurry. Considering that only 3,195 2 door Monacos were made for 1971 and using the general rule of about 1 or 2 percent remaining post 30 years (I got that general rule from Old Cars newspaper years ago) there are likely less than 100 units still around? Add to that the mystery of how many are still excellent, good, fair, parts only, modified, (modified is not for me), not for sale or yet undiscovered in some garage...then if after all that, if I find an affordable one (around $5000 in decent and unmodified shape would be doable. I wouldn't expect a trailer queen for 5g and besides I never tie myself up in knots over some original wear on my cars, gives them character!). I suppose the good news is that this particular model doesn't command anywhere near the prices as say the pony cars and muscle cars from the same era. Am I somewhat correct? Any viewpoints?

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Welcome, my first C body was a 71 Monaco coupe. Sadly I sold it a couple years back when I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. It recently popped up and some photos of it are posted under Car shows, Red deer. Regarding the 1-2% remaining, I would think more like 5-10%? But that's based on nothing really. Either way you may want to consider a modified car at the right price and correct it. Or... and I can't believe I'm typing this, you could clone a Polara! AHHGH! Good luck with the door panels!

Back