Is anyone else depressed looking at new vehicles?

Since my '08 Toyota is heading up past 200K I've begun to look at potential offerings. I figured I have another 150k to go so I'll need something in the next 5 years, that's how long it took me to find what I have now. I too have been discouraged by ridiculous prices and bloated electronics. I test drove a '23 Challenger RT and it was underwhelming. The funny sport button only made the thing louder, so I wasn't sure what that was about, and we had to pull over to figure out how to adjust the mirrors, only to give up after 10 minuets. I hate digital readout speedometers and my test drive was stuck on KPH for some reason, I thought at first this thing is fast, I'm doing 80, LOL! Why do they need both an analog and a digital speedometer is a mystery, forget the pages and pages of screens. No matter, by the time I'm ready to buy, these will be used cars and AI will have taken over the word. I might be able to afford the Scat Pack or the '23 300C which has got my attention.

As for the Nerd comment, after working with develpopers for the past 30 years, these people are tasked on individual operations that are eventually rolled up into the finished product, I don't think they have much input either way unless they are team leaders. It's this push for everything all at once that makes these things over priced and teched out beyond comprehension.

MSRP for vehicles are in the stratosphere and loan interest rates are sky high too. That combination is a great way for people to financially cripple themselves and it should be enough to throw ice water on the allure of new vehicles.

I prefer knob and button controls too.

Even though I'm an old fart I'm kinda liking some of the newfangled tech stuff in my car. Yeah, the touch screen isn't safe to use when driving but the radio and phone can be controlled with buttons on the steering wheel and the A/C/Heat also has old school controls in addition to the screen. The adaptive cruise is nice on the highway. I did turn off the lane departure feature though.

I test drove a '23 Challenger RT and it was underwhelming. The funny sport button only made the thing louder, so I wasn't sure what that was about...
The sport button activates the exhaust, alters the trans shift points, and changes the steering effort as programmed. Can't remember all the settings controlled by it.

Even though I'm an old fart I'm kinda liking some of the newfangled tech stuff in my car. Yeah, the touch screen isn't safe to use when driving but the radio and phone can be controlled with buttons on the steering wheel and the A/C/Heat also has old school controls in addition to the screen. The adaptive cruise is nice on the highway. I did turn off the lane departure feature though.
Yea, I've gotten real used to the heated seats and steering wheel too.

The sport button activates the exhaust, alters the trans shift points, and changes the steering effort as programmed. Can't remember all the settings controlled by it.

Right, so it runs out harder and handles a tad stiffer, better.

I'm not sure why James feels it was underwhelming. I'd like to know more. On a 345 with traction control off and 245s you'll spin the tires off the rims.
Now imagina a 392, beast of an engine.
We haven't even talked Cats or REs.

Right, so it runs out harder and handles a tad stiffer, better.

I'm not sure why James feels it was underwhelming. I'd like to know more. On a 345 with traction control off and 245s you'll spin the tires off the rims.
Now imagina a 392, beast of an engine.
We haven't even talked Cats or REs.
I don’t know Dave, I guess I expected more from all the hype? It is 4500 lbs car with I think, 370 hp, and I’ve driven a few modern cars with just as much if not more power from smaller engines, so I attributed my experience to the overall weight and the 5.7. I had 3 other adults with me, guessing that didn’t help. I plan on a comparison with the 392. I didn’t find any Scat Packs around, but there are 2 300C’s on a dealer lot near where I work, hoping to get a test drive in. Admittedly, I didn’t take the Chally through its paces with the sport mode, but as you know that’s kind of hard to do in Jersey even on the highway. I’m still not a fan of the bland interiors and the over emphasis of tech on the dash, preferring instead the cleaner look of the gauges in the 2014 and older models.

preferring instead the cleaner look of the gauges in the 2014 and older models.
That's one thing I like about my Charger, the dash is basically the same as the '12 SXT I had. They really stretched a dollar on the Charger models.

I don’t know Dave, I guess I expected more from all the hype? It is 4500 lbs car with I think, 370 hp, and I’ve driven a few modern cars with just as much if not more power from smaller engines, so I attributed my experience to the overall weight and the 5.7. I had 3 other adults with me, guessing that didn’t help. I plan on a comparison with the 392. I didn’t find any Scat Packs around, but there are 2 300C’s on a dealer lot near where I work, hoping to get a test drive in. Admittedly, I didn’t take the Chally through its paces with the sport mode, but as you know that’s kind of hard to do in Jersey even on the highway. I’m still not a fan of the bland interiors and the over emphasis of tech on the dash, preferring instead the cleaner look of the gauges in the 2014 and older models.

The Chevy dealer in Delran, rt 130 has a Hellraisin Shaker Scat, non Fatso, no sunroof. I'm pretty sure it's a Scat. It is right put front for the world to see.
Drive a Scat with 275s or 305s so it has the bite. Not just tire incinerators. They'll push to 150 pretty quick. Beyond that , it tops out close to 2.

BUt I get it, they're missing something. Not sure if you'll find it.

Strange. None of my 300m's beep if I don't buckle up. One beep initially I think when I start the car, but only a red seatbelt light on the dash after that. Is that a Canada/US difference?
I revisited this on my 300M and it does only make noise once and the light on the dash actually goes out after a minute or 2 as well. The Phord never stops though…

The Chevy dealer in Delran, rt 130 has a Hellraisin Shaker Scat, non Fatso, no sunroof. I'm pretty sure it's a Scat. It is right put front for the world to see.
Drive a Scat with 275s or 305s so it has the bite. Not just tire incinerators. They'll push to 150 pretty quick. Beyond that , it tops out close to 2.

BUt I get it, they're missing something. Not sure if you'll find it.
Yep, I pass that one every day, looks cool. I looked it up, 2020 for $42k and it’s a manual, which is not what I’m looking for but I’d drive it for fun, plus it has that Shaker!

Weight is weight. LX cars are heavy. Even 717hp feels a little sluggish when I have 700lbs worth of friends with me

1701550027955.png

Maybe its just me? I've been looking for a new car. I feel new cars are more dangerous (due to all the distractions built in), more work to operate and makes everyone's life slower. I know modern cars have much better suspensions, frames, rust prevention so that great, but todays goofy "sporty" trend cost more to repair, less comfortable and are heavier.

Plus, why do I have to take my eyes off the road, look at a tiny screen, then scroll thru screens just to adjust the air direction out of the ac/heater ducts? What idiot thought that's progress? Dials and switches are much quicker and safer, but all cars are going to slow and unsafe digital.

Jay Leno said he's glad to see engineers instead of bean counters managing car companies, but that's incorrect. Nerds are now controlling companies...and as you can see, that's not good. Nerds have an odd introverted way of looking at life. Nerds don't think consequences and they rely on computers to tell them what to do and feel. They invent things without R/D and just hope for the best. No customer service, no complaint department....everything fake AI.

I just want to find a new car like my 1970 Chrysler where I can adjust everything without taking my eyes off the road. Where I can shut doors and trunk by hand, without it being electric. (I hit the button to close the trunk, get in, start the car, then have to get out again because it didn't latch properly)

I can go on but I think new cars are sad and ridiculous. Is it just me?

View attachment 630017
I agree. New cars are overpriced and have way too much technology for me. I want to drive my car, not have my car drive me. I hate with a passion touch screens and the absence of knobs . And cars today are sooo boring in design. Remember the sixties and seventies when you had a huge selection of designed vehicles that all stood out. Color selection was very large and you had a choice of many different color interiors. Not just gray or black. Not to mention options. You could pick and choose what you wanted. Today you are stuck with trim levels that include certain options and to get what you want you have to spend thousands more . I truly miss the good old days I think that's why a lot of us are on here We love the old stuff!

I agree. New cars are overpriced and have way too much technology for me. I want to drive my car, not have my car drive me. I hate with a passion touch screens and the absence of knobs .

the older cars will not listen to what you are talking about and will not have kill switches that will be mandated by 2026.

Not to mention options. You could pick and choose what you wanted. Today you are stuck with trim levels that include certain options and to get what you want you have to spend thousands more

i have a 1985 buick lesabre what i this is optioned odd. it is a collectors series but has manual windows, no tilt, no cruise. back when your were able to personalize your car.

Back