Is original color important?

Cazman

Reaction score
As I start my new 68 300 vert project, I’m wondering how important original paint color is. Since I NEED a paint job and this could be a completely original car if I go with the original White, would changing the color really devalue it? If so, then if I change the color then I might as well do other non stock things like lowering and engine mods. If not, I can just stick close to OEM as possible.

In my opinion, colour changes as long as they aren't too bizarre will not hurt the value but if it is some motorboat metallic flake green then you may have trouble selling in the future if you should decide to sell it.

That said, I would stay within the original colour schemes offered for that year of Mopar & model line myself

IMHO, changing the color does detract from overall value and a color change does add cost.

That said, it is your car... If you really dislike the color, you shouldn't be stuck with it either.

Cazman?? Cazenovia?

I myself ideally would keep the original color "ONLY IF YOU ORIGINALLY LIKED IT TO BEGIN WITH". However with that said it's your car paint it what ever color you like and as long as it is not to obscure others will like it as well when it's time (if ever) to sell it. In my case mine is pretty much the color I like and would have ordered in 1969 other than the interior however I will be making several quaint modifications to "MY CAR" and damn the consequences !!!!! :thumbsup::steering::thumbsup:

I'm a believer in build the car for you, not the next owner. I bought my car for the "bones", and changed it to suit my taste, but stayed within the period correct theme. Was it the right thing to do? For me, yes.

Arrival 018.jpg

getting there 019.jpg

Arrival 015.jpg

getting there 021.jpg

Good advice from all. I can live with the original White, but some of the period colors seem to really stand out (burgundy and Blue for me).

LOL
At least the weather is nice.

It was nice and sunny but then it started raining like crazy for some strange reason...
I think the Mopar god's were upset that you posted this question about a colour change! LOL!!!:lol:

A well-done change within what was originally offered shouldn't hurt. It could help if done well enough.

I think the reason people don't like color changes is because many shadetree "wrenches" have terrible taste. (or perhaps they're color-disabled?)

Today's example... a C-body of indeterminate year/model sprayed '97 Viper GTS blue. That's a great color on a paint chip, or a Viper. It looks like a 5-y/o kid chose it when applied to a C-body. I'd pay the $440 that this genius put into the price spot, but at $12,500 he'll be willing it to his grandkids.

IMG_20180714_173000.png

IMG_20180714_173028.png

Usually, changing the color will affect the resale value of the car but if a color change is done thoroughly and completely (door Jambs, firewall, etc) and to a fairly high standard, the effect will be lessened. I believe what will affect the value more is modifications depending on how severe they are. Lowering a car is a big turnoff to a lot of people and messes up the suspension geometry in these cars, stressing all the components such as the bushings and alignment becomes an issue in extreme cases. Modifications that are fairly easy to reverse will affect the decline in value much less.

It you plan to keep the car a long time, I would just do it the way it pleases you. But if you plan to keep it for a relatively short while, then the more you do to it to vary it from stock will hurt the resale price. Usually, few people like the mods other people do to their cars, so it makes it harder to sell at a good price.

I'm changing the colour on my 68 Imperial convertible and am not thinking twice about it. White on green just isn't my thing.

IMO, Do it the way you want.. Keeping it original for the next person that may / may not own it is just like not sleeping with your girl friend / wife to save her for the next guy.

Just my 2 cents and not that it matters much.....I am not a fan of white cars and would not buy one in the first place, however I am a huge fan of originality and if the car needs to be restored I personally believe it should be kept as close to as built as possible.

In the big scheme of things I would not change the color. For me originality is a very big deal even more so today as so few older cars are even close to original due to many owners. Fortunately the cars and truck I have been all been single owner originals when I got them. My Cougar was definitely an original from Day 1 being bought by my father. I may have changed the intake, the carb, the exhaust, the cam, the rockers, and the wheels but I have carried all the replaced original parts with me ever since 1972. Colors are white, pebble beige and two seafoam green cars which would have never been the colors I would have picked yet I keep the same since originality trumps a color change.

Being as how this is your car it is a choice you have to make. Sort of enjoyment vs. originality. As to value a change would decrease the value in my opinion as I would offer less for such a car vs. being in the original factory color.

In my opinion, colour changes as long as they aren't too bizarre will not hurt the value but if it is some motorboat metallic flake green then you may have trouble selling in the future if you should decide to sell it.

That said, I would stay within the original colour schemes offered for that year of Mopar & model line myself
I'm reminded of a circa 1985 Pontiac Parisienne station wagon my gf and I saw on a used-car lot. Someone's idea of a custom paint job was to spray it randomly in Walmart-grade colors of blue, pink, purple, and "aluminum." They even painted the tires "aluminum." The car sat there for a year IIRC.

At the time, I lived in an apartment above a cranky old woman who always was bitching about something. I fantasized (to gf's amusement) about buying the Pontiac and leaving it in the same parking spot until she asked me, "who the hell has that damn eyesore anyway?"

Back to the topic, I would have bought a '74 - '77 T&C if it were painted Meconium Starmist Metallic and had gold DUBs and yellow-tinted windows. I'm so glad, however, that I could get a bone-stock one in one of my favorite colors.

I'm a believer in build the car for you, not the next owner. I bought my car for the "bones", and changed it to suit my taste, but stayed within the period correct theme. Was it the right thing to do? For me, yes.
It took me a moment to figure out which was original and which was your handiwork. That tells me you did well, like Mr. Fix It's recommendations for period-correct colors.

Although I originally fantasized about a T&C in Sun Fire Yellow with a Chestnut interior, I'm sticking with the original blues on the one I've got. But that's as much because I love the color as it maintains the OEM specs.

If it were something else that I dislike, I would go for the yellow over brown upon fixing her up. However, if it were an original Hemi Challenger/'Cuda, Superbird, etc, I'd keep everything the same. Just my 2 cents.

Fender tags tell the story of a car. I like the cars as original as possible so everything matches the tag. My car is a 68 300 like yours and is the original color HH1 Antique Ivory. But, these cars don't go for a tremendous amount of money, so make it whatever color you want. I don't think the color change will lower the value by much, if any. I think if you do crazy hood scoops, change the body panels in any way, make it a low rider, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Back