Is this a good conversion kit to electronic ignition?

We've had quite a few threads on here about problems with the Proform stuff and in particular, their distributors. Based on that, I'd stay away from them.

@FURYGT sells a ECU that he says is pretty trouble free. Grab a rebuilt distributor at one of the parts houses and wire it all up yourself.

I use a distributor from the guy that Wollfen sent you a link to. It’s awesome.

If your distributor is good and not worn you could get a Pertronix that fits in your dizzy and it will look stock.

I had the Pertronix in my old distributor and it did work good but I was never happy with how long it took to fire. It seemed to take 2 or 3 turns and then light. With the new one it is instant. Maybe it was my setup I don’t know.

I had the Pertronix in my old distributor and it did work good but I was never happy with how long it took to fire. It seemed to take 2 or 3 turns and then light. With the new one it is instant. Maybe it was my setup I don’t know.

From my experience that's about as good as the pertronix gets, it's a retrofit system as apposed to a completely different system. Beats the heck out of points! I've logged tens of thousands of miles trouble free (ignition wise) on pertronix's. I have to admit, next time, I'm going MSD.

I wouldn't buy the linked systems. They are just the Mopar 1970's ignition, with all its disadvantages (old electronics, needs ballast, clumsy wiring). Pertronix is easiest and uses your distributor assuming the shaft is still tight. Get Ignitor II or III since the original still needs a ballast. Another approach is to get a 1970's e-distributor, but connect it to a GM 8-pin HEI system (1985-95 V-8 trucks) which is easy to grab at any junkyard. Remove the HEI module from inside the GM distributor, coil connector, external coil and cable which connects them. It will fire off the Mopar pickup, but you need the pickup wires polarity correct (50-50 chance, one sparks better). Connect 12 V and good to go, plus get a tach signal. Biggest advantage is some engine controllers can control the spark advance (ex. Holley Commander 950). TrailBeast on the A-body forum kits as new parts for $199 if scared of junkyards. Another choice is the Ningbo "ready-to-run" distributor ($70 ebay). Use w/ an e-core coil for hottest spark. Many posts on A-body forum about all above.

Ignition Conversion Kit PROFORM 66993 37995369935 | eBay

As my title asks can anyone speak to the quality of this conversion kit?
I'm thinking of buying it to replace the points distributor that is now on my 78 NYB

I got a Proform from Summit and had to return it because the vacuum advance wasn't working. It was also pictured with the Orange ECU, but arrived with a Blue one.

I ended up getting a rebuilt A1 Cardone EI dizzy from O'reilly's for $35 (30-3897) and the Wiring Harness and Orange ECU from Summit for $55 - total price $90. I put the control unit on my fender rather than the firewall. Works great!

View attachment 231602

View attachment 231604

2016-04-27 17.10.06.jpg

2016-04-30 10.28.21.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the pertronics kits twice in the Monaco. Don’t know or care if the coil or control module fried but after being stranded twice I put the points in and a stock coil. The car would start to bog down as it warmed up then just die and not restart once at operating temp. Car starts better and runs just fine. I avg 10 mpg for the two tanks of gas I use each year.

Back