GG-1

Reaction score
IMG_8232.jpg
IMG_8309.JPG
IMG_8303.JPG
IMG_8300.JPG
IMG_8303.JPG
Hello Dear C-Friends,

I am in search of an experienced mechanic or a good shop in the New York area who has a passion and magic touch when it come to getting MoPars to run beautifully. Yes, it must be a MoPar enthusiast, and its gotta be someone who will take it in their hands and work through any issues respectfully, skillfully, and diligently, giving her the time and space necessary to do things right. My local gas station guy is great for a front end alignment.. but for diagnosing and dialing in a 1967 Plymouth Fury 383 big block four bbl car, in a safe indoor space, I need someone who is a natural. I have worked very hard to get my beautiful 14k mile Fury running right. I have followed all diagnostics protocol.
I have used proper parts and fluids. I have rebuilt, and have had rebuilt TWO Carter 4299s AFB carburetors(one being the factory original), and still can not get her to run right. Both carbs were cleaned and rebuilt correctly, checked and triple checked.
I have set up my distributor properly. It is clean with perfect NOS parts. Gapped the points, set timing, dwell, on and on and on...

It has come time for me to hand over the car to a capable person who has much more experience than me(I have had no auto repair experience whatsoever before I got this car 2 years ago). This car means so much to me, and is in incredible condition. I feel I am going to make her worse if I keep messing with it.

Again, it's very important that it's someone who also knows how to work well with these AFBs on Chrysler motors.

My plan here is to hand over the car, and say please don't give it back to me until it is running like a top.
This is doable.
I respectfully ask all of you here to please think of who would be a good person or shop to take care of my GG. It may be one of you for all I know. It may be a good speed shop/builder. I prefer it stays in New York, or near Westchester county.. but could be taken/picked up within the tri-state area. Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island etc.
I live in Brooklyn, but keep the car in a detached 2 car garage that I rent from a family home in North White Plains NY, Westchester County.

Much obliged to all for your consideration. I appreciate all replies here, and feel free to call me directly as well at 212-365-0652

Alex

Last edited:
Man I wish you were a bit closer I would have you bring it over and put it on a scope. Going to Carlisle with it by chance?

Perhaps you should put the location in the title. We have a folks in your area that might be able to give you some direction, but they may not know where you are looking.

Alex, I think that you are in Brooklyn. If you are willing and able to get the car to Old Saybrook, CT, I have the perfect person for you. If interested, send me a PM.

Bill

What kind of sucky world has this turned into when you can't find someone who can tune a normally aspirated internal combustion OHV engine???
Child's play for an old man in a hat yet impossible to a "certified tech" who only knows how to plug in a machine that tells him which $750 sub-assembly to replace. AND HASN'T A CLUE WHY!!!

You should join the Long Island Mopar club on line (free to join) I just joined. I was told the pres of the club has a bunch of c-body slabs. I've watched some of their car show videos and there are c bodies there. I bet they will know someone close to you.

What kind of sucky world has this turned into when you can't find someone who can tune a normally aspirated internal combustion OHV engine???
Child's play for an old man in a hat yet impossible to a "certified tech" who only knows how to plug in a machine that tells him which $750 sub-assembly to replace. AND HASN'T A CLUE WHY!!!
In my opinion it's because there aren't enough of this type of old cars around to give the kids a chance to mess with them. They've got no reason or real opportunity to learn it today. Trade schools don't teach squat about carbs and points. The beaters of today that the kids can learn on are mostly OBDII and newer. Our Technology is going away, like railroad steam engines: only get to experience it at a museum.

Man I wish you were a bit closer I would have you bring it over and put it on a scope. Going to Carlisle with it by chance?
Not sure where you are, but that would be great! Once the car is running as it should, to Carlisle we will go indeed!

Last edited:
Perhaps you should put the location in the title. We have a folks in your area that might be able to give you some direction, but they may not know where you are looking.
Good idea John, Thanks--just did that.

The guys that are really good with those cars have retired.

I have a couple friends in the business and I cringe as they age and start looking at retiring. I can't do some of the things I used to and I know that I will be dependent on someone to do things like front end work etc.

You should join the Long Island Mopar club on line (free to join) I just joined. I was told the pres of the club has a bunch of c-body slabs. I've watched some of their car show videos and there are c bodies there. I bet they will know someone close to you.
Will do.. that's a great idea, thank you.

Last edited:
Alex, I think that you are in Brooklyn. If you are willing and able to get the car to Old Saybrook, CT, I have the perfect person for you. If interested, send me a PM.

Bill
Hey Bill, I live in Brooklyn, but keep the car in a detached 2 car garage that I rent from a family home in North White Plains NY, Westchester County..
a little north of NYC. At this point, I would most likely need to flatbed it that distance, about 92 miles from the car. I'll pm you about the details, it might be an option.

Last edited:
Exactly!

Last edited:
The guys that are really good with those cars have retired.

I have a couple friends in the business and I cringe as they age and start looking at retiring. I can't do some of the things I used to and I know that I will be dependent on someone to do things like front end work etc.
I don't trust anybody so I do it myself. Now that I'm more or less unable to do everything myself, nothing will get done. Since nothing will get done now, the passion of having an old car is greatly diminished in me.

I don't trust anybody so I do it myself. Now that I'm more or less unable to do everything myself, nothing will get done. Since nothing will get done now, the passion of having an old car is greatly diminished in me.
Yea, I understand that. I've come to grips that I can't do everything, but I can still do a lot... and still really enjoy the cars. My cars are getting into "maintenance mode" now anyway.

It's a drive for you, but I know of someone in Syracuse who is excellent with carbs. He's tuned two thermoquads for me, perfectly, and they were not easy to do. He's the service manager in a large shop. The owner is equally qualified, as he owns a 69 Charger w/ a 440. His shop is about 1 mile from the upcoming Syracuse Nationals, if you want to head this way for the show:
Syracuse Nationals

Your car is gorgeous.

Last edited:
It's a drive for you, but I know of someone in Syracuse who is excellent with carbs. He's tuned two thermoquads for me, perfectly, and they were not easy to do. He's the service manager in a large shop. The owner is equally qualified, as he owns a 69 Charger w/ a 440. His shop is about 1 mile from the upcoming Syracuse Nationals, if you want to head this way for the show:
Syracuse Nationals

Your car is gorgeous.

Carlos, you have me curious who that is.

Syracuse Nationals

Your car is gorgeous.
Hey Carlos, Thank you for the good words and suggestion.
Those guys sound very qualified, only they are too far.. I'll need to flatbed her to a shop that's a maximum of 100 miles away.. and looks like I found just the place, at the suggestion of fellow member FURYGT, a great shop about 92 miles from here.
The Syracuse Nationals sound like fun! Once I get GG in her optimal running condition, the sky is the limit for car show travel. This summer will be a good one.

Carlos, you have me curious who that is.
John, that's John's Auto Care in on Milton Av. in Solvay. Billy is the Service Manager, who is very adept with carbs, and John owns a green 69 Charger. A few folks from the Oneida Lake Region AACA (Antique Auto Club of America) told me about it. He doesn't cater to Nats customers, but does some nice classic cars.
There's also a Mopar guy at Rudy Schmids who's good with front ends. I forgot his name, but he was a member when you ran the club.

Last edited:
Back